no naps- EVER- life in disaster zone.

Old October 18th 05, 05:03 PM
JJ

Default no naps- EVER- life in disaster zone.

Sorry, this is a bit off topic I know. I haven't been able to read or
post in a while since we still don't have internet since Rita. My 14
month old is no longer napping- ever. She has never been a great
napper, but before the hurricane, she would go down around noon for an
hour every day, to bed at 6:30 and up at 6:30 without waking. She had
been weaned to just bedtime.

Then, hurricane and 2 week evacuation, 3000 mile road trip and
returning to a disaster zone with stressed out mommy and sick baby.
DUring the evacuation, I refused to let her cry at all at night, and
she went back to nursing 6-6 times a days and 3-4 times at night. She
lost weight, and spent a lot of time in the car. When we got back, it
was a good thing she had boosted my supply, since we coouldn't get milk
for a while.

Now, she is healthy and eating again, and back down to nursing once at
night. However, NO naps. I am not opposed to some CIO, but for a week
now, I've laid her down for an hour with no nap. I've tried lying down
with her, nursing her to sleep (she falls asleep but wakes when I put
her down) nursing her to sleep in my bed (won't go to sleep, just
nurses then crawls away) rocking her to sleep, sitting next to her
crib, etc. just NO naps. She is exhausted by 4, so I feed her at 4,
bathe at 4:30, then bed at 5pm, then she sleeps til 6 am.

for the last two days I haven't even bothered trying to get her to nap.
she seems tired in the afternoon, and lays her head on the
ground/floor, but say "nap" and those winkerpeepers pop wide open!

My question is- should I give up and be grateful she sleeps at night?
Is this still just trauma from the whole disaster thing? Things are far
from normal here, and our old routine will never come back, but we are
gradually establishing a new pattern.

How bad is it- neurologically and developmentally and all, if she just
doesn't nap? I could use a break during the day and all, but that's of
less concern to me than doing what is good for her.

again, my apologies in advance- I'm not able to read or post on a
regular basis until we get internet service restored.

JJ

Old October 18th 05, 08:21 PM
Child

I stopped napping at about a year old, and I am developmentally just fine
(my husband might beg to differ). Perhaps she doesnt' NEED the nap but
perhaps there could be some quiet "play in your crib time" in the afternoon
so that YOU can have a break (this is what my mom did for me).

Old October 18th 05, 09:05 PM
Melania

Child wrote:
I stopped napping at about a year old, and I am developmentally just fine
(my husband might beg to differ).

Hee! We're the same - I was`called the insomniac baby by my parents. I
apparently was awake all day and slept in 15 minute increments
throughout the night from birth. I slept through the night for the
first time at 3.5 yo. My mom swears my youngest brother was the last of
her children to give up his nap - at 7 mo. My kids might not be the
world's best sleepers, but they are waaaay better than my own family
was!

Perhaps she doesnt' NEED the nap but
perhaps there could be some quiet "play in your crib time" in the afternoon
so that YOU can have a break (this is what my mom did for me).

I'd say it's essential for mom to get a break every day.

Melania

Old October 18th 05, 10:06 PM
PattyMomVA

"JJ" wrote and I snipped:
Sorry, this is a bit off topic I know. I haven't been able to read or
post in a while since we still don't have internet since Rita. My 14
month old is no longer napping- ever.

Now, she is healthy and eating again, and back down to nursing once at
night. However, NO naps. She is exhausted by 4, so I feed her at 4,
bathe at 4:30, then bed at 5pm, then she sleeps til 6 am.

I'm so sorry to hear about your troubles related to the hurricane. It must
be very hard to manage all these changes, especially with a baby.

That said, your baby may be getting enough sleep even without napping if she
can go so long at night without waking. I once knew a baby who did this:
slept all night in one chunk without naps. I don't think it is a problem
for the baby. I think the total amount of sleep per 24 hours is what is
important. I understand the problem for you not getting a break during the
day, but at least you get that 13-hour break at night.

for the last two days I haven't even bothered trying to get her to nap.
she seems tired in the afternoon, and lays her head on the
ground/floor, but say "nap" and those winkerpeepers pop wide open!

I think that's your opportunity for a break. Just don't say "nap"!

Take care,
-Patty, mom of 1+2

Old October 19th 05, 04:28 PM

JJ wrote:
[...]

Do you have an hour or so that you can spare until your DD can get used
to taking naps? Just take the baby to a somewhat darker, cool room and
put her down on the floor or a matterss. Lie down beside her. Don't try
to put her to nap. She may resist. It's important that she gets the
idea of a quiet time whether nap or otherwise. Stay in that room with
her for an hour. Play music at low volume to help her relax.

My DD also 14 mo, will go around the room explore for 10 minutes or so,
come back, and lie beside me, hug me and eventually fall asleep after
15 min. Then I get up and walk away. Yours may take a week or so to get
there but I think it will help.

Old October 20th 05, 06:53 AM
CY

This is similar to what we do. My 3.5 yr old can go without a nap, but she
really does need one. Somedays when I can tell she's going to fall down if
she doesn't sleep soon, I just say to her "We aren't going to take a nap,
lets just lie down together for a little while." Then I hold her very close
and close my eyes and usually, she'll be asleep pretty soon. However, if I
do say "Let's take a nap" she'll resist and talk and want to play etc. It
took me a looooooooooooong time to figure this out (my husband figured it
out when I was not available to put her to bed while I was having DS)! But
amazingly it does work. Don't give up if it doesn't work the first time you
try it, because it didn't work the first time I tried it with DD...Good
luck!!
wrote in message
ups.com...

Old October 20th 05, 03:41 PM
JJ

Thanks all. I'd been reading Marc Weisbluth;s book and freaking out
about her developing ADD etc if not napping. It's good to hear from
other non-nappers.

I had to take her for her 12 mo ped visit yesterday (make-up from
missing it last month) and I feel a bit better about it now. First
off, every other parent in the waiting room says their kids have
regressed in some way or other due to the hurricane and evacuation and
all. Then, our pediatrician, (who is great, always relaxed) said not
to worry as long as she is getting 10-12 hours at night. So we just
decided to forget about naps for a while, and maybe try again in a
month or so. Lying down with her sounds like a good idea.

We do a bit of quiet time- I'm a jogging addict, and so she veges out
in the stroller every morning. I may start going in the afternoon
during 'nap' time & maybe that way she'll relax.

As far as break goes, I have a lot of support, so as long as she's
going to bed at 5, I'm good. My in-laws are great, and all in town
just a few blocks away and she is the only grandchild on that side so
always welcome. And now she's in a mother's day out two mornings a
week. All the other kids there take a nap- she goes to play in the
office then.

FWIW- DH stopped napping at this age too, so I wonder if this is
something that would have happened hurricane or no.

As far as the whole trauma- evacuation thing, does anyone have any idea
how long it takes kids to get back to normal after something like this?
A few weeks? months? We are back in our house, and while our routine
will be different, we have a new, consistent routine again, more or
less....

Thanks- and again, still no internet
JJ

Old October 21st 05, 09:44 AM
Chookie

In article . com,
"JJ" wrote:

Thanks all. I'd been reading Marc Weisbluth;s book and freaking out
about her developing ADD etc if not napping.

I've never heard of ADD being a *result* of not sleeping! That sounds nutty
to me. I can believe there is a correlation, though.

snip
I had to take her for her 12 mo ped visit yesterday (make-up from

As far as the whole trauma- evacuation thing, does anyone have any idea
how long it takes kids to get back to normal after something like this?

Probably depends on the child more than anything else -- sorry, that isn't
much help, but if the routines are consistent and you are reassuring, you are
doing all you can.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"In Melbourne there is plenty of vigour and eagerness, but there is
nothing worth being eager or vigorous about."
Francis Adams, The Australians, 1893.
Old October 24th 05, 01:20 AM
JJ

OK, she is definitely not getting enough sleep, but I am trying to not
worry about it. We instituted 'quiet time' instead of naptime, and I
spread out quilts on the floor in her room, turn out the lights, and
then read stories for about 10 minutes. Then, I lie down and she spends
the next 50 minutes alternatively digging through her shelves or
drawers, or coming and snuggling up next to me, but certainly not
sleeping,and sometimes banging on the door to get out. So today, I
gave up after an hour and put her in her chair for lunch. I started
highchair. I knew she'd wake up if I touched her, so I let her sleep.
An hour later, she woke up and started eating again as if nothing
happened. But at least she got a nap and was cheerful all afternoon!!

JJ

Old October 24th 05, 02:39 PM
Sue

"JJ" wrote in message
So today, I
gave up after an hour and put her in her chair for lunch. I started
highchair. I knew she'd wake up if I touched her, so I let her sleep.
An hour later, she woke up and started eating again as if nothing
happened. But at least she got a nap and was cheerful all afternoon!!

I always fed my kids lunch before I put them down for a nap. It was always
at the same time to just to add to a routine for the day. Maybe she is too
hungry to sleep.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

misc.kids FAQ on Good things about having kids [email protected] Info and FAQ's 0 August 30th 05 05:25 AM
Review: A Slipping Down Life (**) Steve Rhodes General 0 May 20th 04 02:30 AM
WSJ: How to Give Your Child A Longer Life Jean B. General 0 December 9th 03 07:10 PM
surprise baby Angela Nelson Solutions 34 November 7th 03 05:01 AM
Review: My Life Without Me (**) Steve Rhodes General 0 October 3rd 03 02:53 AM