Selling my breast milk

Old January 29th 06, 12:05 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default Selling my breast milk

I am considering selling my extra breast milk to help supplement our
income so that I can afford to stay home with our new son for as long
as possible before I have to go back to work. I am 28, healthy,
non-smoker, non-drinker, never used drugs, no diseases. My baby is also
healthy and is putting on weight quickly, so it seems to be pretty good
stuff. I am also taking pre-natal vitamins. Please email me if you are
interested.

Old January 30th 06, 10:18 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

You should know that in the US this is illegal, as breastmilk is
considered a bodily fluid. Since you are advertising this publically,
you could be tracked down quite easily. The only way I know to
legally provide breastmilk is through a registered milk bank, where
they test both the mother and the milk.

In the UK breastmilk is donated to human milk banks, not sold. Those of us
who contribute our surplus do so to help preemie and sick babies, not to
make cash out of it. i'm really hoping that post was a fake.
Morag

Old January 30th 06, 10:43 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Morag in Oxford skrev:
You should know that in the US this is illegal, as breastmilk is
considered a bodily fluid. Since you are advertising this publically,
you could be tracked down quite easily. The only way I know to
legally provide breastmilk is through a registered milk bank, where
they test both the mother and the milk.

In the UK breastmilk is donated to human milk banks, not sold. Those of us
who contribute our surplus do so to help preemie and sick babies, not to
make cash out of it. i'm really hoping that post was a fake.
Morag

In Denmark it's sold too. You don't earn a lot, but you get your
expenses covered.

Tine, Denmark
Old January 31st 06, 05:36 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"Morag in Oxford" wrote in message
You should know that in the US this is illegal, as breastmilk is
considered a bodily fluid. Since you are advertising this publically,
you could be tracked down quite easily. The only way I know to
legally provide breastmilk is through a registered milk bank, where
they test both the mother and the milk.

In the UK breastmilk is donated to human milk banks, not sold. Those of
us who contribute our surplus do so to help preemie and sick babies, not
to make cash out of it. i'm really hoping that post was a fake.
Morag

For milk banks in the US it's also donated, not paid for. Of course, to get
the milk, you have to pay for it or get your insurance to do so. (one site
I found says it costs $3 an ounce!)
http://www.zipbaby.com/breast-milk-cost2donate.php
Because it is so expensive to buy through milk banks, some people have been
advertising on the internet to get milk donated or I suppose in some cases
to purchase it. I'm sure Larry is right when he says it's illegal to
sell/purchase it, but it is legal to arrange for someone to donate it
directly without going through a milk bank. Of course, then either the
donor or recipient would need to pay for the health screenings, and the milk
wouldn't be pasteurized or anything.

Old January 31st 06, 06:22 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

V. skrev:
For milk banks in the US it's also donated, not paid for. Of course, to get
the milk, you have to pay for it or get your insurance to do so. (one site
I found says it costs $3 an ounce!)
http://www.zipbaby.com/breast-milk-cost2donate.php
Because it is so expensive to buy through milk banks, some people have been
advertising on the internet to get milk donated or I suppose in some cases
to purchase it. I'm sure Larry is right when he says it's illegal to
sell/purchase it, but it is legal to arrange for someone to donate it
directly without going through a milk bank. Of course, then either the
donor or recipient would need to pay for the health screenings, and the milk
wouldn't be pasteurized or anything.

Funny. In Denmark the mother gets paid for the breastmilk, but the
recieving mother doesn't pay anything. If she needs it she gets it.

We pay most medical care over the taxes. Doctors and hospitals are free.

Tine, Denmark
Old January 31st 06, 07:08 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Funny. In Denmark the mother gets paid for the breastmilk, but the
recieving mother doesn't pay anything. If she needs it she gets it.

We pay most medical care over the taxes. Doctors and hospitals are free.

it still has a price, I know it isn't paid directly, but probably somewhere
there is a statistic that says how much it costs per ounce.

I do wonder though if it is significantly more for paying the mother, how
much do they pay anyway? I don't think here you can even get expenses, I
don't donate, I'm fairly sure they wouldn't accept my milk with all the
drugs in, but I'd be put off from donating as I'd have to meet the cost of
maintaining and cleaning equipment as well as delivering the milk

Anne

Old January 31st 06, 07:43 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Anne Rogers skrev:
Funny. In Denmark the mother gets paid for the breastmilk, but the
recieving mother doesn't pay anything. If she needs it she gets it.

We pay most medical care over the taxes. Doctors and hospitals are free.

it still has a price, I know it isn't paid directly, but probably somewhere
there is a statistic that says how much it costs per ounce.

I do wonder though if it is significantly more for paying the mother, how
much do they pay anyway? I don't think here you can even get expenses, I
don't donate, I'm fairly sure they wouldn't accept my milk with all the
drugs in, but I'd be put off from donating as I'd have to meet the cost of
maintaining and cleaning equipment as well as delivering the milk

Anne

I found a reference on the net. There's only one place: The Women's Milk
Center.

They pay 169 kr per liter (2005 prices). That's something like 27.50 $.
They pick it up at your home.

The hospital that's connected to The women's milk center has a
department for early born children (NICU?) They don't use formula at all
- they have enough BM.

Our taxes are huge, but they ensure that no-one is without proper
medical care - ever, unless they choose to be so. Only recently did
private hospitals start to shoot up. The best hospitals are still the
public (free) ones. They are the ones that get funding for research.

Tine, Denmark
Old January 31st 06, 08:32 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

I don't get expenses. But a volunteer comes every week from the hospital to
pick up my frozen milk, and drop off new steri bottles. I was offered a
loan of a pump and they would also supply me with sterilising tablets if I
needed them. So financially, it's not costing me anything. I think most
milk banks in the UK run on that basis, with volunteers doing a lot of the
collecting. In my local hospital the people who do it are working with the
SCBU fund raising charity.
Morag

Old January 31st 06, 08:57 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

I found a reference on the net. There's only one place: The Women's Milk
Center.

They pay 169 kr per liter (2005 prices). That's something like 27.50 $.
They pick it up at your home.

The hospital that's connected to The women's milk center has a department
for early born children (NICU?) They don't use formula at all - they have
enough BM.

how fantastic, I think that is quite a fair price to pay, it would certainly
be something that I would make the effort to do in those circumstances,
though most women are not going to make much money in the long term, early
on I could have easily produced a litre or 2 extra a week, but now I suspect
it would be one per fornight or even month.

Our taxes are huge, but they ensure that no-one is without proper medical
care - ever, unless they choose to be so. Only recently did private
hospitals start to shoot up. The best hospitals are still the public
(free) ones. They are the ones that get funding for research.

yeah, probably a good thing though, I've just been to a meeting at the
hospital today, to talk about maternity services, everything comes down to
money, there just plain isn't enough of it, to meet what is generally
recommended as women per midwife they would need over 100 midwives, they
have funds for 60!

Anne