Toddler's way of telling us they are upset - what does your kid do?

Old October 16th 03, 04:58 AM
Cathy Weeks

Default Toddler's way of telling us they are upset - what does your kid do?

Whenever Kivi got upset, I would say "Honey" or "Oh, honey" in a sort
of (what I thought was) a commiserating tone of voice.

Now, whenever she gets upset, she says "Honey, Honey" to me, in a sort
of whine, but very similar tone of voice.

We just spent a week with some childless friends, and after it
happened for the second time, one of them just started laughing and
said "I don't mean to be laughing at her being upset, but that's
really cute."

After at least two other women told me that their child's word for
nursing was Deess (Kivi's word for it), which surprised me since it
seems like such a unique word, I figured other toddlers have had
similar, and interesting ways to tell their parents that they were
upset.

So, how do your kids let you know when they are upset?

Cathy Weeks
Mommy to Kivi Alexis 12/01
Old October 16th 03, 04:03 PM
iphigenia

Cathy Weeks wrote:

So, how do your kids let you know when they are upset?

Gabe starts saying "Oh, no! Oh, no!" Then I have to ferret out what exactly
the trouble is.

--
iphigenia
www.tristyn.net

Old October 16th 03, 04:11 PM
Circe

"Cathy Weeks" wrote in message
om...
So, how do your kids let you know when they are upset?

Don't know whether he's telling me he's upset, exactly, but if something's
wrong, Vernon will say "uh oh", "oh no" (really stretching the "o" in no) or
"oh man". The "oh man" is particularly darling. But if he's really upset,
he's still at the age where he either just cries or screams. (Come to think
of it, all of my kids are still at that age g!)

Vernon's word for nursing is "side", only it comes out sounding more like
"tside." I find it very charming.
--
Be well, Barbara
(Julian [6], Aurora [4], and Vernon's [19mo] mom)

"Together we help the future grow." -- School slogan

Daddy: You're up with the chickens this morning.
Aurora: No, I'm up with my dolls!

Old October 16th 03, 04:25 PM
Ilse Witch

Cathy Weeks wrote:

So, how do your kids let you know when they are upset?

DS is only just starting to recognize his feelings as being upset,
angry, happy, but I have noticed that when he is really angry he
will come to me for a hug and wants me to hold him. Very similar
to when he has hurt himself. I just tell him it's OK and that he
feels angry, but mommy still loves him, and usually after a minute
or so he settles down and goes back to normal routine.

--
-- I
mommy to DS (14m)

Old October 16th 03, 05:01 PM
Mary W.

Cathy Weeks wrote:

So, how do your kids let you know when they are upset?

If Emma has hurt herself she says "Ice, Ice" - we usually
give her an icecube to put on her owies. Makes feel better
really fast!

Mary

Old October 16th 03, 06:58 PM
Nikki

Cathy Weeks wrote:

So, how do your kids let you know when they are upset?

That's cute :-) Mine pretty much just start in with the crying, or whine.
Lately the whining has just been over the top sigh.

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)

Old October 16th 03, 08:24 PM
Welches

Mary W. wrote in message
Cathy Weeks wrote:

So, how do your kids let you know when they are upset?

If Emma has hurt herself she says "Ice, Ice" - we usually
give her an icecube to put on her owies. Makes feel better
really fast!

Dd likes cream on. Doesn't matter what the problem is but apparently it
makes everything better!
Debbie

Old October 16th 03, 08:39 PM
Circe

"Welches" wrote in message
Mary W. wrote in message
Cathy Weeks wrote:
So, how do your kids let you know when they are upset?

If Emma has hurt herself she says "Ice, Ice" - we usually
give her an icecube to put on her owies. Makes feel better
really fast!

Dd likes cream on. Doesn't matter what the problem is but apparently it
makes everything better!

For my kids, it's band-aids. They heal all wounds.

My daughter also wants a glass of water whenever she's upset about anything.
I have no idea where that one came from.