plus sized Mom wants a carrier she can nurse in

Old July 8th 03, 05:09 AM
Al Bell

Default plus sized Mom wants a carrier she can nurse in

Emily Roysdon writes:

always have a car. Anyhoo, one thing you might try is a men's
sleeveless undershirt with slits cut out, and then a button-up
short-sleeved shirt (I've seen them at Target and K-mart in plus sizes,
although none of the colors appealed to me that day) on top. Same idea,
but much cooler.

For other people who hate carrying purses: big and tall button-up shirts
tend to have better pockets than women's button-up shirts.
Old July 8th 03, 09:01 PM
Jenrose

"KC" wrote in message
om...
I have a Nojo sling, and my baby hates it mostly I think because we
cannot nurse in it (baby is held above my nipples). I saw a thin
woman nursing her baby in a hands free type carrier with the straps
loosened which made the baby lower (down at the level of her breasts)
facing the woman, so the baby could nurse in the carrier while she
walked around. I thought that looked really ideal for us, but I would
need a carrier big enough to be able to be made loose on me for us to
make that work.

Would the Baby Bjourn with the X-long straps do that, or another
carrier? I am size 26. I saw 1 review of a size 26 woman who liked
the Baby Bjourn, but I am not sure if she tried to breastfeed in it or
not, and I don't want any carrier I can't breastfeed in since we
breastfeed super frequently due to supply issues.

Thanks,

KC

The Nojo is not my favorite sling in general, but you should be able to
loosen it.

That said, a Maya Wrap or MamaBaby would work fine for you, I suspect. The
MamaBaby is one size fits all (really... I have plenty of tail left and I
wear a size 20-22. My 10 year old can also wear it--she just tucks the extra
tail up under whatever neighborbaby she's wearing.) I think anyone up to
about a 5 or 6 x could wear the MamaBaby) and you might want a L or XL Maya
Wrap. (The large leaves me with PLENTY of tail and I'm not small.)

To learn to nurse in a sling if you're having a hard time....

1. Sit down
2. Loosen the sling to its loosest setting and put it on.
3. Push the sling down your arm and pull your arm out so that the sling is
around your waist.
4. Get the baby latched on.
5. Put your arm back under the sling (the arm not supporting baby) and pull
the sling up onto your shoulder.
6. Tighten the rings until the sling is supporting your arm and the baby
both.

Once you're comfortable with this, you can work on getting your arm out of
the sling and nursing hands-free. That's usually NOT as big a step as
getting comfortable nursing with the baby covered up.
Jenrose

Old July 8th 03, 09:09 PM
Jenrose

"KC" wrote in message
om...
Thanks for the advice. I ended up getting a Snugli carrier. I went
to Walmart and bought the 4 carriers they had there, tried them at
home and returned the other 3. It will do us until she is 20 pounds,
then I will revisit the idea of another sling.

Your idea about the second shirt sounds good for discretion, but I am
dying of heat stroke here in hot Sacramento, CA, and thinking a winter
baby would have been better for discreet breastfeeding. double shirts
and nursing shirts (because they are double thick in places) are soooo
hot. I am tying a scarf around my neck only when I am feeding and
pulling my breast out the top of my shirt right now to beat the heat.

KC

Co-Nursingwear makes some fantastic lightweight, single thickness nursing
tops. They use very inobtrusive zippers for the nursing slits, with no "top
flap"... not as modest as the double-layers, but more modest than pulling a
boob out of the top of a shirt.

BTW... lifting up a shirt is usually more modest, IMO, if you care about
modest (which oddly enough, I never worried about while nursing.)

The Co nursingwear shirts and dresses are really nice for slings, as there's
less fabric to push around and with a sling you don't NEED the top flap for
modesty.

Jenrose