storybook vs poetry

Old August 7th 03, 01:41 AM
Jean

Default storybook vs poetry

hi,

at what age do you start reading poem to children. at 3, i assume a
story book with pictures would be more appealing but would also like
to have a mix of both eventually. any recommendations of poetry
collections that comes with colourful pictures too? thank you.

regards
jean

Old August 7th 03, 02:43 PM
Splanche

hi,

at what age do you start reading poem to children. at 3, i assume a
story book with pictures would be more appealing but would also like
to have a mix of both eventually. any recommendations of poetry
collections that comes with colourful pictures too? thank you.

I had some wonderful Nursery Rhyme books when DD was about 3--
when you get right down to it, Nursery Rhymes are just poetry for kids.
- Blanche

Old August 7th 03, 05:23 PM
Beeswing

"Jean" wrote in message
m...

at what age do you start reading poem to children. at 3, i assume a
story book with pictures would be more appealing but would also like
to have a mix of both eventually. any recommendations of poetry
collections that comes with colourful pictures too? thank you.

I highly recommend Shel Silvertein's poetry books: Where the Sidewalk
Ends, Falling Up, and A Light in the Attic. The pictures are in black
and white, not color, but are still marvelous.

beeswing

Old August 7th 03, 07:07 PM
Kevin Karplus

In article , Jean wrote:
at what age do you start reading poem to children. at 3, i assume a
story book with pictures would be more appealing but would also like
to have a mix of both eventually. any recommendations of poetry
collections that comes with colourful pictures too? thank you.

We started reading poetry (rhymed verse) at quite an early age (1
maybe?). Rhyming games were very popular around ages 4 and 5, but he
never really got into poetry reading much on his own, preferring a
good story to a poem. Many of the "picture books" ARE poems.

If you are looking for poems for a somewhat older kid, the humor of
Shel Silverstein or Jack Prelutsky may appeal. The illustrations in
Silverstein's books add a lot to their appeal. (You might want to
avoid "The Giving Tree" until you've read it yourself---some people
feel that the poem is suggesting that parents should sacrifice
everything for their children and get nothing in return.)

--
Kevin Karplus http://www.soe.ucsc.edu/~karplus
Professor of Computer Engineering, University of California, Santa Cruz

Old August 8th 03, 03:12 AM
Iowacookiemom

I highly recommend Shel Silvertein's poetry books: Where the Sidewalk
Ends, Falling Up, and A Light in the Attic. The pictures are in black
and white, not color, but are still marvelous.

beeswing

We had a wonderful tape of his poetry too, and Henry used to fall asleep
listening to it -- another good way to introduce the almost-musical aspect of
some poetry.

-Dawn
Mom to Henry, 10

Old August 8th 03, 03:15 AM
Robyn Kozierok

In article ,
Jean wrote:
hi,

at what age do you start reading poem to children. at 3, i assume a
story book with pictures would be more appealing but would also like
to have a mix of both eventually. any recommendations of poetry
collections that comes with colourful pictures too? thank you.

I start before they are old enough to express a preference one
way or another. I suspect that the rhyme and meter may be appealing
to babies, but who really knows.

"Sing a Song of Popcorn" is a nice varied collection with (I believe)
color pictures.

Also, Sandra Boynton has a number of short, funny, rhyming board
books that would appeal to a 3yo.

"Animals, Animals" is a nice collection of (you guessed it)
animal-themed poetry illustrated (color) by Eric Carle (Very Hungry
Caterpillar; Brown Bear, Brown Bear What Do You See?; etc.). There's
also "Dragons, Dragons" but we don't like those poems as much.

I would save Shel Silverstein for elementary school aged kids. 3 is
a bit young for most of it, I think.

--Robyn (mommy to Ryan 9/93 and Matthew 6/96 and Evan 3/01)

Old August 8th 03, 04:45 AM
Beeswing

Robyn wrote:

I would save Shel Silverstein for elementary school aged kids. 3 is
a bit young for most of it, I think.

Could be. My kid loved it from maybe kindergarten on.

beeswing