calorically dense toddler snacks?

Old January 26th 04, 11:03 PM
melizabeth

Default calorically dense toddler snacks?

Did anyone recommend seeing a pediatric nutritionist for additional ideas?
Sometimes they have recipes or food ideas to assist in weight gain.

She probably could have some peanut butter, as long as it is on bread or
crackers.
Rice and beans
You can add some calories to smoothies, make them with yogurt, ice cream,
and add a banana or some other fruits and juices (making sure there aren't
huge lumps of berries, etc).
What about spreading some cream cheese on tortillas and rolling them up?
What about Full fat milk?
Perhaps trying some cream soups.
Bread and butter
French fries are fun for kids to gum on (she may end up sucking on them
though).
Adding butter and full fat milk to hot cereals. You could also add some
fruit for extra enticement.
Avocados are a great idea...guacamole?

HTH...

--
M~Elizabeth

To thine own self be true
"Hillary Israeli" wrote in message
Anyone have any tips for calorie-dense toddler snacks? My 15 month old
daughter isn't gaining weight well and I need some ideas. She only has
four teeth (incisors only!) which I think is why some things, like cheese
cubes, tend to go into her mouth for a while and come back out as a
softened glob after being mouthed for a while instead of actually
swallowed. She enjoys pretzels and raisins and fruits and beans... but
she's gone from 45th %ile to 7th %ile for weight over her last four well
baby visits and I've been instructed to up her calorie intake....She
always has eaten well at mealtimes but it's snacking I'm focusing on, as
she tends toward the lower calorie things at snacktime (fruits, pretzels
and so forth). Packable items are also needed...

thanks,
h.

Old January 26th 04, 11:12 PM
Hillary Israeli

In ,
Shannon wrote:

*"Hillary Israeli" wrote in message
* *Does she *look* healthy, just thin? I tend to put much more stock in how
* *kids look than what the numbers say, but that's just me.
*
* Looks darn healthy to me, but I have seen plenty of healthy-looking
* animals with weird failure-to-thrive stuff happen during the first year,
* so I don't want to write it off without looking into it.
*
*Good point. It just seems odd that a clearly good eater, as you have
*described her, would not be putting on weight sort of normally.

That's my concern. Then again, I can't argue that it's impossible she's
filling up on breastmilk at the expense of more calorically dense foods. I
mean, she has been nursing a lot, and maybe would grow better if she'd eat
more calories. Kind of like kids who fill up on juice...

*What about eggs? I forgot about that - we used to make cheese omelets all
*the time, and DS gobbled them down.

She is hit or miss with those. I should try more often.

thanks

Old January 27th 04, 02:46 AM
Circe

New York Jen wrote:
"Dawn Lawson" wrote in message
Hillary Israeli wrote:
Anyone have any tips for calorie-dense toddler snacks?

avocado?
I wonder about something like smoothies?
cream cheese, liver paste, etc on crackers?

EWWWW Liver?! Why would you do that to a child?!!

:-)

Gosh, pate is just liver paste, and it's considered a delicacy. Personally,
I like liverwurst and pate, but then, I'll eat just about anything g!
--
Be well, Barbara
(Julian [6], Aurora [4], and Vernon's [22 mos.] mom)

"Call anywhere, any time...virtually from any phone" -- prepaid phone card
dispenser

Daddy: You're up with the chickens this morning.
Aurora: No, I'm up with my dolls!

Old January 27th 04, 04:35 AM
Leslie

Mine love it. On the other hand they love broccoli as well so they are
probably just weird.

LOL.

Liver was the first food I fed Jake and Teddy. They loved it then but won't
eat it now. Jake does love spinach, kale, and collard greens, though, and
broccoli is just about the only vegetable Teddy WILL eat!

Leslie
Old January 27th 04, 04:38 AM
Leslie

William likes sandwiches that I make for him in the little George Foreman grill
we have. He doesn't eat regular sandwiches, but loves them hot--less mess,
too, since they stick together!

All last week I made them from peanut butter and pumpkin butter, sometimes it's
cheese, and lots of times just butter and sugar and cinnamon. Those are all
calorie dense things she might like. And if you use whole grain breads, they
are nutrient dense as well. :-)

Leslie
Old January 27th 04, 08:18 AM
Elana Kehoe

Hillary Israeli wrote:

She does like hummus, I'll have to whip some up and keep it around. I
never really thought of marinating fruit in an oily dressing. I wonder if
I could come up with something palatable. Thanks for the thought.

how about marinated artichokes? P loves 'em, and if you cut off the
leaves, the choke itself is pretty mushy. One of our classic "oh man,
nothing in the house!" dishes is marinated artichokes, capers, tuna and
caramelized onions on couscous or pasta.

Olives?

P loves eating guacamole, and we made some mango salsa that he just ate
with a spoon :-).

--
"In Finnegans Wake, he just made up words.
Now that's just not sporting!"
Old January 27th 04, 08:27 PM
Buzzy Bee

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 18:44:58 +0100, "Tine Andersen"
wrote:
but then again I might just have mucked up the snipping as usual!

Mine love it. On the other hand they love broccoli as well so they are
probably just weird.

Or Danish ;-) I think it was the only thing I never got a taste for
when I lived in Denmark. Leverpostej (I hope I spelt that right -
my Danish is so rusty these days). Couldn't stand it.

Megan.
--
Seoras David Montgomery, 7 May 2003, 17 hours: sunrise to sunset (homebirth)

To e-mail use: megan at farr-montgomery dot com
Old January 28th 04, 01:21 AM
Sara

Hillary Israeli wrote:

Anyone have any tips for calorie-dense toddler snacks?

Oh, I thought of one -- saag paneer. I get the frozen stuff (Deek
brand palak paneer) and Ollie loves it.

--
Sara, accompanied by the baby barnacle
Old January 28th 04, 03:04 AM
Hillary Israeli

In ,
Sara wrote:

*Hillary Israeli wrote:
*
* Anyone have any tips for calorie-dense toddler snacks?
*
*Oh, I thought of one -- saag paneer. I get the frozen stuff (Deek
*brand palak paneer) and Ollie loves it.

Now, that would not have leapt to my mind as a "snack" item
I have actually offerred N some of my saag paneer before. She's definitely
NOT keen on the saag, but she does love the paneer. These days I tend to
get matar paneer since she does love peas as much as she loves the cheese.
Still, definitely more of an entree type thing in my house

Old January 28th 04, 04:22 AM
Mary S.

Hillary Israeli wrote:

Anyone have any tips for calorie-dense toddler snacks? My 15 month old
daughter isn't gaining weight well and I need some ideas. She only has
four teeth (incisors only!) which I think is why some things, like cheese
cubes, tend to go into her mouth for a while and come back out as a
softened glob after being mouthed for a while instead of actually
swallowed. She enjoys pretzels and raisins and fruits and beans... but
she's gone from 45th %ile to 7th %ile for weight over her last four well
baby visits and I've been instructed to up her calorie intake....

I had good success mixing olive oil into everything, especially things
like yogurt. Not very packable or snacky, though. Makes you wish
peanut butter weren't off-limits, doesn't it?

Our nutritionist suggested two big snack hits, pringles potato chips and
chocolate chips. As long as she eats well during meals and/or is
nursing enough, they told us, don't worry about the junky aspect of
those foods. Just get her weight up, and build healthy eating habits at
the same time during mealtimes.

Mary S.
mom to the Sproutkin, 22 months
and a new wee babysprout, due October 1