calorically dense toddler snacks?

Old January 29th 04, 07:47 AM
toypup

Default calorically dense toddler snacks?

"Dawn Lawson" wrote in message
newswURb.320373$ts4.47373@pd7tw3no...

toypup wrote:

"Nina" wrote in message

If a child is getting other nutrients via her diet, nothing is wrong

with
french fries to supply extra calories. Sometimes very active kids need
energy dense foods.

Agreed here. I know a mom whose child had an awful time gaining weight.
The problem was obvious. She was eating mostly veggies without oil and

such
and nothing much in the way of protein. There was no way she could get
enough calories, even if she ate like a horse. She needed fat (calorie
dense), but her mom did not want to give her "junk food," which was
basically stuff that had fat or was fried, had oil, etc. She ended up
living on Pediasure. Kids need fat. Just make sure they have a

balanced
diet, but fries are fine for the calories.

Drizzle olive oil on wedges or slices of potatoes, toss with seasoning,
and bake for 25-40min at 375F. Skip the frying, keep the oil, which is
the useful part of the fries for weight gain. doesn't take any longer
than teh frozen ones, either, really.

She's not into putting oil and fat in the kid's food.

Old January 29th 04, 02:55 PM
Nina

toypup wrote:

"Nina" wrote in message

[...]

Children under 2 REQUIRE dietary fat for proper brain development. It has to
come from somewhere.

Old January 29th 04, 04:00 PM
Dawn Lawson

toypup wrote:

"Nina" wrote in message

[...]

then why bother with french fries? and why ask for calorically dense
foods, and add olive oil and flax seed in things?

that makes no sense.

Dawn

Old January 29th 04, 05:47 PM
Hillary Israeli

In P6aSb.329548$ts4.132599@pd7tw3no,
Dawn Lawson wrote:

* She's not into putting oil and fat in the kid's food.
*
*
*then why bother with french fries? and why ask for calorically dense
*foods, and add olive oil and flax seed in things?

Excuse me, but *I* was the one who asked for calorically dense foods. I
was *not* the one who was not into putting oil and fat in the food. I'm
all over oil and fat. I fed my daughter pats of butter last night. Hey,
she wanted it, whatever. I don't care. She eats plenty of nutritious stuff
and it isn't cutting it. That being said, what's the problem with adding
olive oil and/or flax seed to things to boost calorie or nutrient
content?? I have been doign that since day one, really. Pretty much any
time my daughter eats yogurt, for example, it has flax seed meal stirred
into it - we've been doing that since she was about 8 mos old. I started
doing that because I figured my milk didn't have much in the way of omega
fatty acids since I wasn't eating much fish.

Old January 29th 04, 05:58 PM
toypup

toypup wrote:

"Nina" wrote in message

[...]

She knows the kid needs more calories. I don't think she understood the fat
part. The doc was concerned about the child's development and sent mom to a
nutritionist; but mom said after the first meeting the nutritionist didn't
tell her anything she didn't already know, which was increase caloric
intake. IHO, the nutritionist was a waste of her time. Don't know what's
all in Pediasure, but maybe it has enough fat. She wouldn't take any of my
fat-adding suggestions. The kid is now 3yo, not under 2, but she's had this
problem since starting solids. She could still use some fat, IMHO. It's
not the evil people make it out to be, as long as it's not overdone.

Old January 29th 04, 06:08 PM
toypup

Dawn Lawson wrote:

* She's not into putting oil and fat in the kid's food.
*
*
*then why bother with french fries? and why ask for calorically dense
*foods, and add olive oil and flax seed in things?

Excuse me, but *I* was the one who asked for calorically dense foods.

The thread drifted. I was giving an example of someone else's child and
Dawn must have thought I was referring to you.

Old January 29th 04, 06:17 PM
Dawn Lawson

Dawn Lawson wrote:

* She's not into putting oil and fat in the kid's food.
*
*
*then why bother with french fries? and why ask for calorically dense
*foods, and add olive oil and flax seed in things?

Excuse me, but *I* was the one who asked for calorically dense foods. I
was *not* the one who was not into putting oil and fat in the food. I'm
all over oil and fat.

Right, I know. Sorry if it came across that i was on your case. I'm
saying the comment that you **weren't** into it was a bizarre one.

I fed my daughter pats of butter last night. Hey,
she wanted it, whatever. I don't care. She eats plenty of nutritious stuff
and it isn't cutting it. That being said, what's the problem with adding
olive oil and/or flax seed to things to boost calorie or nutrient
content??

Nothing. They are good choices, imo.

I figured my milk didn't have much in the way of omega
fatty acids since I wasn't eating much fish.

Speaking of, I'm curious why you decided to stop nursing her in the
daytime, given the weight issues?

Dawn

Old January 29th 04, 06:20 PM
Dawn Lawson

toypup wrote:

toypup wrote:

"Nina" wrote in message

[...]

What? I think you're not talking about the OP Hillary anymore.
hillary's a vet, so there's imo, a very good chance she understands
about adding good quality fats to a diet.

She wouldn't take any of my
fat-adding suggestions.

Who?

The kid is now 3yo, not under 2, but she's had this
problem since starting solids. She could still use some fat, IMHO. It's
not the evil people make it out to be, as long as it's not overdone.

There're good fats and bad ones. French fries are further over to the
"bad" side of that balance.

Dawn

Old January 29th 04, 06:21 PM
Nina

Dawn Lawson wrote:

* She's not into putting oil and fat in the kid's food.
*
*
*then why bother with french fries? and why ask for calorically dense
*foods, and add olive oil and flax seed in things?

Excuse me, but *I* was the one who asked for calorically dense foods. I
was *not* the one who was not into putting oil and fat in the food. I'm
all over oil and fat. I fed my daughter pats of butter last night. Hey,
she wanted it, whatever. I don't care. She eats plenty of nutritious stuff
and it isn't cutting it.

Fat is a required nutrient. No need to feel guilty at all about using it in
reasonable amounts. A diet deficient in fat is as bad as a diet deficient in
protein or vitamins

Old January 29th 04, 06:23 PM
Nina

"toypup" wrote.

She knows the kid needs more calories. I don't think she understood the

fat
part. The doc was concerned about the child's development and sent mom to

nutritionist; but mom said after the first meeting the nutritionist didn't
tell her anything she didn't already know, which was increase caloric
intake. IHO, the nutritionist was a waste of her time. Don't know what's
all in Pediasure, but maybe it has enough fat. She wouldn't take any of

my
fat-adding suggestions. The kid is now 3yo, not under 2, but she's had

this
problem since starting solids. She could still use some fat, IMHO. It's
not the evil people make it out to be, as long as it's not overdone.

Fat isnt evil and is as essential, in the right amounts, as protein or
carbohydrates.
Damn shame we are so afraid of it.