calorically dense toddler snacks?

Old January 29th 04, 09:28 PM
Dawn Lawson

Default calorically dense toddler snacks?

toypup wrote:

"Dawn Lawson" wrote in message

Which was where I stepped in to this bizarre off-shoot of a perfectly
good thread. typical french fries bad, sliced oiled baked spuds good.

If they're both in oil, why does the method of cooking make a difference?
Not a challenge, just curious. I always hear that baking is better, but I
assumed it was because less oil is used. Is that correct? If the kid needs
more fat, isn't frying okay?

trans fats, for one thing, which occur during hydrogenation (solid fats
used to deep fry, margarine) and heating (deep frying).
Quality of the oils used (olive vs cheap vegetable oil resused over and
over)
And that typical french fries (ie, either fast food or frozen
stick-in-the-oven types) have other things in them as preservatives and
textures and seasonings that I personally think it far wiser to avoid.

Old January 29th 04, 09:30 PM
Dawn Lawson

Hillary Israeli wrote:

In 07cSb.330445$ts4.220670@pd7tw3no,
Dawn Lawson wrote:

*Speaking of, I'm curious why you decided to stop nursing her in the
*daytime, given the weight issues?

Well, I think she was choosing to fill up on milk at the expense of more
calorically dense food. I mean, if you have a boob in your mouth most of
the day, and you're actually drinking milk from it, you won't eat as much
food as you otherwise would! Breastmilk only has about 20 cal per oz.
Peanut butter, on the other hand, has about 200 cal per oz; cheddar cheese
something like 120 cal/oz...you get the picture. We'll see if my guess was
right. She DOES seem to be eating a lot more than I had expected.

yeah, seems valid.

Re peanut butter vs other nut butters or pea butter.....is there any
nutritional reason to go for the peanut butter rather than the other
choices?

Dawn

Old January 29th 04, 11:25 PM
Hillary Israeli

In xXeSb.332132$ts4.239267@pd7tw3no,
Dawn Lawson wrote:

*Re peanut butter vs other nut butters or pea butter.....is there any
*nutritional reason to go for the peanut butter rather than the other
*choices?

I don't really know too much about the other butters.

Old January 30th 04, 12:10 AM
Phoebe Roberts, EA

Dawn Lawson wrote:

is there any
nutritional reason to go for the peanut butter rather than the other
choices?

2 Tablespoons peanut butter: 190 calories, 16g fat, 2g fiber, 8g
protein, 3% iron, 11% vitamin E, 21% niacin

2 Tablespoons Sunbutter (from sunflower seeds): 200 calories, 16g fat,
4g fiber, 7g protein, 8% iron, 68% vitamin E, 10% niacin, 10% zinc, 70%
copper, 25% magnesium

15g Golden Peabutter (from peas): 90 calories, 7g fat, 1g fiber, 2g
protein. My best guess is that 15g is about 1 Tbl. I got this from a
Canadian site, so they didn't have the RDAs.

2 Tablespoons Soynut butter: 170 calories, 11g fat, 1g fiber, 8g
protein, 5% calcium

I think treenut butters are similar.

Phoebe

Old January 30th 04, 02:23 AM
Shannon G

"toypup" wrote in message

"Dawn Lawson" wrote in message
newswURb.320373$ts4.47373@pd7tw3no...

toypup wrote:

"Nina" wrote in message

If a child is getting other nutrients via her diet, nothing is wrong

with
french fries to supply extra calories. Sometimes very active kids need
energy dense foods.

Agreed here. I know a mom whose child had an awful time gaining

weight.
The problem was obvious. She was eating mostly veggies without oil

and
such
and nothing much in the way of protein. There was no way she could

get
enough calories, even if she ate like a horse. She needed fat

(calorie
dense), but her mom did not want to give her "junk food," which was
basically stuff that had fat or was fried, had oil, etc. She ended up
living on Pediasure. Kids need fat. Just make sure they have a

balanced
diet, but fries are fine for the calories.

Drizzle olive oil on wedges or slices of potatoes, toss with seasoning,
and bake for 25-40min at 375F. Skip the frying, keep the oil, which is
the useful part of the fries for weight gain. doesn't take any longer
than teh frozen ones, either, really.

She's not into putting oil and fat in the kid's food.

Hearing that type of comment only makes me think these are the children who
will grow up to be obese and/or with poor eating habits/binge eaters, or??
It's all about moderation and eating for nutrition and not obsessing about
foods. Those who are deprived of certain foods and told a food is *BAD* may
set themselves up for accomplishing the opposite of the intent. Never offer
a cookie and your kids will eat the whole box of cookies when available.
Oil and fat is good for children. McDonald's every day is not.

Shannon

Old January 30th 04, 06:12 AM
toypup

toypup wrote:

"Dawn Lawson" wrote in message

Which was where I stepped in to this bizarre off-shoot of a perfectly
good thread. typical french fries bad, sliced oiled baked spuds good.

If they're both in oil, why does the method of cooking make a

difference?
Not a challenge, just curious. I always hear that baking is better, but

assumed it was because less oil is used. Is that correct? If the kid

needs
more fat, isn't frying okay?

trans fats, for one thing, which occur during hydrogenation (solid fats
used to deep fry, margarine) and heating (deep frying).
Quality of the oils used (olive vs cheap vegetable oil resused over and
over)

Couldn't we just deep fry in the better oils? That's what I do.

And that typical french fries (ie, either fast food or frozen
stick-in-the-oven types) have other things in them as preservatives and
textures and seasonings that I personally think it far wiser to avoid.

I don't really go out of my way to avoid preservatives and textures and
seasonings, so that's not really an issue for me.

Old January 30th 04, 06:14 AM
toypup

"Shannon G" wrote in message
set themselves up for accomplishing the opposite of the intent. Never

offer
a cookie and your kids will eat the whole box of cookies when available.
Oil and fat is good for children. McDonald's every day is not.

This mom's kid (clarify, not OP's kid), doesn't know what a cookie is, so
it's not a problem, yet. As far as she knows, she's not deprived. Maybe
when she's older, her mom won't be so obsessed.

Old January 30th 04, 03:38 PM
Dawn Lawson

toypup wrote:

"Dawn Lawson" wrote in message

Which was where I stepped in to this bizarre off-shoot of a perfectly
good thread. typical french fries bad, sliced oiled baked spuds good.

If they're both in oil, why does the method of cooking make a

difference?

Not a challenge, just curious. I always hear that baking is better, but

assumed it was because less oil is used. Is that correct? If the kid

needs

more fat, isn't frying okay?

trans fats, for one thing, which occur during hydrogenation (solid fats
used to deep fry, margarine) and heating (deep frying).
Quality of the oils used (olive vs cheap vegetable oil resused over and
over)

Couldn't we just deep fry in the better oils? That's what I do.

higher temps of deep frying apparently turn them into trans fats

sorry oht

Old January 30th 04, 06:20 PM
toypup

toypup wrote:
trans fats, for one thing, which occur during hydrogenation (solid fats
used to deep fry, margarine) and heating (deep frying).
Quality of the oils used (olive vs cheap vegetable oil resused over and
over)

Couldn't we just deep fry in the better oils? That's what I do.

higher temps of deep frying apparently turn them into trans fats

But my deep fryer's highest temp setting is 375 degrees. My oven goes much
higher. Sometimes, I bake at 350, but often, I bake at 400. I'm baking at
higher temps than I'm frying. At what temps do the fats change?

Old January 30th 04, 06:23 PM
Dawn Lawson

toypup wrote:
trans fats, for one thing, which occur during hydrogenation (solid fats
used to deep fry, margarine) and heating (deep frying).
Quality of the oils used (olive vs cheap vegetable oil resused over and
over)

Couldn't we just deep fry in the better oils? That's what I do.

higher temps of deep frying apparently turn them into trans fats

But my deep fryer's highest temp setting is 375 degrees. My oven goes much
higher. Sometimes, I bake at 350, but often, I bake at 400. I'm baking at
higher temps than I'm frying. At what temps do the fats change?

you'd have to google for that, I don't know.
Google for what temp french fries are cooked in fast food joints, too.