calorically dense toddler snacks?

Old January 30th 04, 06:31 PM
Hillary Israeli

Default calorically dense toddler snacks?

In %CmSb.55135$U%5.324532@attbi_s03,
toypup wrote:

*
*"Shannon G" wrote in message
*news:yejSb.4373$EW.780@okepread02...
* set themselves up for accomplishing the opposite of the intent. Never
*offer
* a cookie and your kids will eat the whole box of cookies when available.
* Oil and fat is good for children. McDonald's every day is not.
*
*This mom's kid (clarify, not OP's kid), doesn't know what a cookie is, so

Heh. Yeah. My kid DEFINITELY knows what a cookie is. When she's in the
mood, she's all over it. The thing with her is that her favorite foods are
just NOT calorie-dense. She loves strawberries - unadulterated
strawberries. She loves pretzels - not dipped in stuff. Those are her
favorite foods! I would venture to say even more than ice cream.

Old January 30th 04, 07:22 PM
Dawn Lawson

Hillary Israeli wrote:

The thing with her is that her favorite foods are
just NOT calorie-dense. She loves strawberries - unadulterated
strawberries. She loves pretzels - not dipped in stuff. Those are her
favorite foods! I would venture to say even more than ice cream.

Does she like other tangy, salty or bitter foods?
My DS isn't much of a sweet tooth, he prefers herby, garlicky, sour,
bitter things, and strawberries and pickles are high on his list of yum.

What about going for some "ethnic" foods - chinese, indian, etc, that
are spicier and use a different flavor spectrum to some extent than
"western" food?

Dawn

Old January 30th 04, 08:55 PM
Nikki

toypup wrote:

But my deep fryer's highest temp setting is 375 degrees. My oven
goes much higher. Sometimes, I bake at 350, but often, I bake at
400. I'm baking at higher temps than I'm frying. At what temps do
the fats change?

This site has way more then I want to know about olive oil but it did have
the following information:

http://www.oliveoilsource.com/olivechemistry.htm

**Trans fat is created by bubbling hydrogen through 250 to 400 degree hot
vegetable oil in the presence of a metal catalyst, usually nickel or
platinum. The process can take several hours. You cannot accidentally make
trans fatty acids at home on your range when heating olive oil or other
oils.**

So enjoy those french fries :-)

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)

Old January 30th 04, 09:21 PM
Molly Fisher

In article 0jxSb.332922$JQ1.2351@pd7tw1no, Dawn Lawson
wrote:

toypup wrote:

"Dawn Lawson" wrote in message

toypup wrote:

"Dawn Lawson" wrote in message

toypup wrote:
trans fats, for one thing, which occur during hydrogenation (solid fats
used to deep fry, margarine) and heating (deep frying).
Quality of the oils used (olive vs cheap vegetable oil resused over and
over)

Couldn't we just deep fry in the better oils? That's what I do.

higher temps of deep frying apparently turn them into trans fats

But my deep fryer's highest temp setting is 375 degrees. My oven goes much
higher. Sometimes, I bake at 350, but often, I bake at 400. I'm baking at
higher temps than I'm frying. At what temps do the fats change?

you'd have to google for that, I don't know.
Google for what temp french fries are cooked in fast food joints, too.

It's not just the temperature, it's that most deep fryers reuse the
same oil for many batches of food. In fact, for most deep fry
conoisseurs the second and third batches are better than the first
batch with clean oil. The chemistry of the oil changes as the food
particles dirty it over time. I read a book called "How to Read a
French Fry" in which this process (and many other kitchen science
tidbits) is described in detail, but of course I can't remember enough
to tell you much more.

--
Molly
http://www.sonic.net/~mollyf/

Old February 2nd 04, 01:18 PM
Hillary Israeli

Default A new problem... calorically dense toddler snacks?

In x9ySb.343576$ts4.63443@pd7tw3no,
Dawn Lawson wrote:

*Does she like other tangy, salty or bitter foods?

Yes. She is definitely more into savory than sweet *for the most part,*
although she does go for some sweets now and then (most notably those
strawberries she loves! and she's learning to like vanilla ice cream, and
leftover chanukah gelt ).

*What about going for some "ethnic" foods - chinese, indian, etc, that
*are spicier and use a different flavor spectrum to some extent than
*"western" food?

That would be our normal dinner type food around here

In any case, now I have a new problem. About a week after the peds visit
which got me worried about this, my daughter caught a cold. She was quite
sick on Thursday and Friday last week, and really wasn't eating much at
all. I didn't worry because after all she was febrile and coughing and
stuffed up and probably just not very hungry! Now, she still has a little
runny nose and a minor cough but she's active and playful and seems
generally fine...BUT...she's been doing this thing for the past three days
where she takes food into her mouth, chews it for a while, and spits it
out. She's really just not eating very much and I'm at my wits' end. Now,
she's still urinating and defecating so I know she is eating "enough" to
function. But she's definitely eating less than half the amount per day
she was eating before the cold. I'm not sure how to handle this. Thoughts
on this one??

Old February 2nd 04, 02:34 PM
Molly Fisher

In article , Hillary Israeli
wrote:

[...]

Maybe she has a sore throat? If it hurts to swallow, perhaps she's just
avoiding doing it. If I'm right about this, just be patient and keep
offering. When she feels better she'll eat as usual--maybe more.

--
Molly
http://www.sonic.net/~mollyf/
Old February 2nd 04, 02:49 PM
Nikki

Molly Fisher wrote:
In article , Hillary Israeli
But she's definitely eating less than half the amount per
day she was eating before the cold. I'm not sure how to handle this.
Thoughts on this one??

Maybe she has a sore throat? If it hurts to swallow, perhaps she's
just avoiding doing it. If I'm right about this, just be patient and
keep offering. When she feels better she'll eat as usual--maybe more.

The sore throat makes sense. Warm soup might be easier, or cold ice cream.
Hunter lost his appetite for about 2 weeks after any cold or illness. It
always came back on its own. He was big though so I didn't have to figure
out a way to hurry him along :-( Good luck to you guys!

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)

Old February 2nd 04, 02:52 PM
Sue

Hillary Israeli wrote in message
In any case, now I have a new problem. About a week after the peds visit

which got me worried about this, my daughter caught a cold. She was quite
sick on Thursday and Friday last week, and really wasn't eating much at
all. I didn't worry because after all she was febrile and coughing and
stuffed up and probably just not very hungry! Now, she still has a little
runny nose and a minor cough but she's active and playful and seems
generally fine...BUT...she's been doing this thing for the past three days
where she takes food into her mouth, chews it for a while, and spits it
out. She's really just not eating very much and I'm at my wits' end. Now,
she's still urinating and defecating so I know she is eating "enough" to
function.

I think you will have to wait it out. Unfortunately, if she is not feeling
well, then she probably doesn't feel like eating much. Do you think her
throat hurts at all? How about soups and/or broth or fruit smoothies. Those
things might make her throat feel better or just may be easier to get down
right now.

Since you're still breastfeeding, that will tide her over enough until she
feels better. I can understand your worry though, we had/still have weight
issues with my 11-year-old and everytime she would get sick, she would lose
her appetite and loose weight. It was one step forward, two steps back. But,
ime the temporary weight loss or loss of appetite was not long term. Keep
offering and I'm sure she will start back to eating again.

--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old February 2nd 04, 03:13 PM
Elana Kehoe

Hillary Israeli wrote:

BUT...she's been doing this thing for the past three days
where she takes food into her mouth, chews it for a while, and spits it
out. She's really just not eating very much and I'm at my wits' end. Now,
she's still urinating and defecating so I know she is eating "enough" to
function. But she's definitely eating less than half the amount per day
she was eating before the cold. I'm not sure how to handle this. Thoughts
on this one??

In addition to the sore throat, could she just be in a "down" week? You
know, they don't pay attention to food or eat very much sometimes?

I can imagine how frustrated you are...
--
"In Finnegans Wake, he just made up words.
Now that's just not sporting!"