Crossed eye

Old August 22nd 04, 02:40 AM
ChitaShines

Default Crossed eye

One of my baby's eyes tends to cross in towards her nose. It's not
extremely pronounced, but enough for me to be able to tell that it's not
straight. It occurs mainly when she's looking off to the side or looking up
at me. I've read that premies tend to have this problem and that it usually
resolves itself. I also read that if it doesn't resolve itself by 4 mos,
then a doctor should be consulted. Her eye doctor told me to keep an eye on
it for several months, but she will be entering her 5th month in a few
weeks. I'm afraid to let it go for several months for fear that her brain
won't train that eye properly and it will be too late to correct.

Has anyone else had this problem and, if so, when did your baby's crossed
eye(s) correct itself naturally without the aid of any medical intervention
(i.e., patch)?

Old August 22nd 04, 06:03 AM
Marie

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 01:40:21 GMT, "ChitaShines"
wrote:
One of my baby's eyes tends to cross in towards her nose. It's not
extremely pronounced, but enough for me to be able to tell that it's not
straight. It occurs mainly when she's looking off to the side or looking up
at me. I've read that premies tend to have this problem and that it usually
resolves itself. I also read that if it doesn't resolve itself by 4 mos,
then a doctor should be consulted. Her eye doctor told me to keep an eye on
it for several months, but she will be entering her 5th month in a few
weeks. I'm afraid to let it go for several months for fear that her brain
won't train that eye properly and it will be too late to correct.
Has anyone else had this problem and, if so, when did your baby's crossed
eye(s) correct itself naturally without the aid of any medical intervention
(i.e., patch)?

My best friend's son had this problem but had surgery for it. It was
just one eye. I can't remember at what age he had surgery, I will
guess based on the season of the year it was and say 7 or 8 months. It
could be earlier, I just can't remember his age at the time ( His
eyes are completely normal now and the surgery went just fine. I can
find out more from her if you wish.
Marie
Old August 22nd 04, 06:13 AM
Shena Delian O'Brien

ChitaShines wrote:

Has anyone else had this problem and, if so, when did your baby's crossed
eye(s) correct itself naturally without the aid of any medical intervention
(i.e., patch)?

We're going through this. It's called strabismus, specifically esotropia
when it turns inward. My son has this in both eyes. If it shows up in
infancy chances are it's genetic and won't be correctable without
surgery (that is, the eye will continue turning inward without surgery).
Glasses may correct the sight issues but surgery is required to get the
eye to align properly.

This is affecting your daughter's binocular vision. Without treatment by
age 6 or so she will probably lose most if not all of the vision in one
eye (or that is what they say, my DH's dad lost all the vision in one
eye from it). Luckily early intervention (between 7-12 months) has good
success in preserving vision, although your daughter may not ever have
complete binocular vision.

I'm heartsick about it for my son (he is 4 1/2 months and seeing an
opthamologist next month). I am hoping it can be corrected for him
before he even knows it. Right now he tilts his head to the side all the
time, trying to focus, and has such frustrating moments where he can't
see things properly. He can focus sometimes, but not all.

They say that sometimes it spontaneously resolves before 6 months but if
it is still happening after that, treatment is required.

Old August 22nd 04, 10:19 AM
Jan Silbermann

In article ,
Shena Delian O'Brien wrote:
ChitaShines wrote:

I'm heartsick about it for my son (he is 4 1/2 months and seeing an
opthamologist next month). I am hoping it can be corrected for him
before he even knows it. Right now he tilts his head to the side all the
time, trying to focus, and has such frustrating moments where he can't
see things properly. He can focus sometimes, but not all.

My DD had a strabismus. She patched for ages and then had surgery.
She now has perfedct vision (without glasses, even) at 4.5yo
It is an eminently correctable problem and not serious.
It is great when parents catch it early, as it
is the best chance for a good outcome.
Good luck.
Chana
Tovah 14
Eliana 12
Asher 9
David 6
Shoshana 4
Old August 22nd 04, 05:38 PM
Carlye

Shena Delian O'Brien wrote in message news:

This is affecting your daughter's binocular vision. Without treatment by
age 6 or so she will probably lose most if not all of the vision in one
eye (or that is what they say, my DH's dad lost all the vision in one
eye from it). Luckily early intervention (between 7-12 months) has good
success in preserving vision, although your daughter may not ever have
complete binocular vision.

For what it's worth, I do not have binocular vision, and it really
hasn't interfered with my life too badly. My depth perception and one
half of my peripheral vision are not so great, though I've adapted. I
will never be able to see those wretched "Mind's Eye" puzzles that you
stare at forever. But other than that, it is really just
instrumentation (including the eye tests they administer at the DMV,
unfortunately) designed to require BOTH eyes seeing that is any
problem at all.

I think it's great you are all dealing with this young -- I didn't
have the eye turning in, so I was 5 before my amblyopia was
discovered. I never went completely blind in that eye (patching saved
me from that), but my brain did get hardwired, basically, to keep me
from seeing out of my left eye if my right eye is open. I know I will
be hauling my daughter to the optometrist on a regular basis to watch
for this in her, as it does seem to run in my family.

Good luck!

-Carlye
Baby girl "Afton" due 9-25-04