Age for first words?

Old May 23rd 04, 01:09 PM
laurie

Default Age for first words?

Christopher is 13 months and really isn't saying any words yet- he does say
"Da!" which seems to mean daddy and "A-da" which I think means mommy, but
nothing clear. I can't seem to remember the range for first words- is this a
concern at all? I know he shouldn't be speaking lots of words, but I seem to
recall one or two "understandable" words being reasonable at this age. He does
follow directions like waving and clapping hands when you ask him to without
demonstrating, so I know his receptive language skills are there.

laurie
mommy to Jessica, 3 years
Christopher, 13 months
Old May 23rd 04, 03:13 PM
Cheryl S.

"laurie" wrote in message
Christopher is 13 months and really isn't saying any
words yet- he does say "Da!" which seems to mean
daddy and "A-da" which I think means mommy, but
nothing clear. I can't seem to remember the range for
first words- is this a concern at all?

How is he doing on walking? Julie babbled a lot up until she was about
11.5 months old, then stopped vocalising entirely, until after she
mastered walking. Kids often focus on one new major skill at a time, to
the exclusion of others. Literally *the same day* Julie started using
walking as her preferred method of transportation over crawling, she
started babbling again, in longer and more complex strings of sounds
than she ever had before. Her first word followed shortly. I don't
think you need to be concerned at this point.
--
Cheryl S.
Mom to Julie, 3, and Jaden, 8 months

Old May 23rd 04, 03:26 PM
Ericka Kammerer

laurie wrote:

Christopher is 13 months and really isn't saying any words yet- he does say
"Da!" which seems to mean daddy and "A-da" which I think means mommy, but
nothing clear. I can't seem to remember the range for first words- is this a
concern at all? I know he shouldn't be speaking lots of words, but I seem to
recall one or two "understandable" words being reasonable at this age. He does
follow directions like waving and clapping hands when you ask him to without
demonstrating, so I know his receptive language skills are there.

I don't think this is cause for concern at this state.
I forget where they're supposed to have words, but I know it's
later than this (maybe something more like 18 months?). I think
lots of kids *do* have a word or two (and some more than that),
but I think you've got some time before you're out of the
normal range. Kids seem to *start* acquiring words at very
different times, but they follow a similar progression once
they do, and they ramp up *so* very quickly.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old May 23rd 04, 07:16 PM
Catherine C.

ospam (laurie) wrote in message ...
Christopher is 13 months and really isn't saying any words yet- he does say
"Da!" which seems to mean daddy and "A-da" which I think means mommy, but
nothing clear. I can't seem to remember the range for first words- is this a
concern at all? I know he shouldn't be speaking lots of words, but I seem to
recall one or two "understandable" words being reasonable at this age. He does
follow directions like waving and clapping hands when you ask him to without
demonstrating, so I know his receptive language skills are there.

laurie
mommy to Jessica, 3 years
Christopher, 13 months

Not at all...I don't know the exact age for first words but I *do*
know that there is *often* a huge difference between boys and girls
when it comes to talking...We had 2 girls and they started talking
around a year and never looked back ...OTOH, dear grand-son didn't
start until close to 18 months IIRC, but once he started he really
ramped up quickly (he's 20 months now and still progressing)...I found
my girls to mature so much more quickly in nearly every
respect...however dear grand-son is much more advanced athletically,
although he didn't walk unassisted until approx. 13 months...his
favourite pastime is kicking a soccer ball around a field...he can do
it for hours and he's a leftie! DH and I love to take him for walks
when he comes to visit and we always head toward the nearest soccer
field...

I think having had a girl first, you'll probably notice a big
difference in various elements of development with your son. Not to
be concerned about at all!

Catherine
Old May 23rd 04, 07:28 PM
Mary

"Catherine C." wrote in message
om...
[...]

I always heard this was true of boy vs girl, but my son started talking
words at 10 mths, sentences at 13 months - my daughter is 18 months & is
just now saying 'cat' 'ball' 'more' etc...

Just my experience w/my two

Mary

Old May 23rd 04, 07:32 PM
H Schinske

Laurie ) wrote:

Christopher is 13 months and really isn't saying any words yet- he does say
"Da!" which seems to mean daddy and "A-da" which I think means mommy, but
nothing clear. I can't seem to remember the range for first words- is this a
concern at all?

That may certainly be normal. I'm sure my son was at least 18 months before he
had any words, and he was later than average but still fine. If you're sure
about his receptive speech and his hearing (things like turning around when the
toast pops up, understanding commands, which you say he does), and if he makes
lots of different kinds of noises, likely everything is fine. I Googled some
old threads on the topic and it appears that the normal time for the first word
is right around the first birthday, so he's hardly even "late" on that yet!

--Helen
Old May 23rd 04, 07:35 PM
Peggy

"laurie" wrote in message
Christopher is 13 months and really isn't saying any words yet- he does

say
"Da!" which seems to mean daddy and "A-da" which I think means mommy, but
nothing clear. I can't seem to remember the range for first words- is this

concern at all? I know he shouldn't be speaking lots of words, but I seem

recall one or two "understandable" words being reasonable at this age. He

does
follow directions like waving and clapping hands when you ask him to

without
demonstrating, so I know his receptive language skills are there.

laurie
mommy to Jessica, 3 years
Christopher, 13 months

The time to really be concerned is when you take your child to his/her
2-year well child checkup and the nurse asks how many words he/she can say.
If it's less than the normal range, they'll suggest speech therapy.
My first daughter spoke well over the normal range and was fine. My second
daughter spoke only 5-10 words at that age and was recommended for speech
therapy. She's going on 4 now and still has some difficulty pronouncing
words correctly but is understandable about 75% of the time.
~Peggy

Old May 23rd 04, 07:37 PM
Peggy

...., dear grand-son didn't
start until close to 18 months IIRC, but once he started he really
ramped up quickly (he's 20 months now and still progressing)......

What does IIRC mean? I've seen it in other posts in other newsgroups and
cannot, for the life of me, figure out what it stands for!
Thanks,
Peggy

Old May 23rd 04, 09:12 PM
Ericka Kammerer