school question

Old April 2nd 05, 01:13 PM
Jake Mysterio

Default school question

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has one twin who is more advanced than the other?
I have 3 year old twins who are due to start preschool next year and one has
a disability and will probably need two years of preschool, my problem is do
I hold back my other twin so that the "slower" twin can catch up or do I
just let her go ahead and be in a diferent year level? Any feed back would
be appreciated.

Cheri
Mum to Sean and Jasmine April 2002
Expecting #3 June

Old April 2nd 05, 05:18 PM
Pam

they are different kids and should be treated differently. this is
true with all kids. we had that experience in our preschool and the
mom sent the child who was ready for kindergarten, on to kindergarten.
the other one went to preschool an additional year. they could
probably benefit from having their own friends, etc. and the one who
repeats preschool will probably enjoy the familiarity of the teacher
and setting.

JMHO.

pam

Old April 2nd 05, 06:17 PM
m.ackerman

The twins have been the same until last year when Chris was placed on a
medicine for his epilepsy that made his mind mush. It took a year of
intervention, a year to get him removed from the medicine, and a year for us
to get him admitted to a Special Ed class. The child went from all A's in
second grade to failing in 4th. Now that he is in SE classes his grades are
improving by leaps and bounds as well as the medicine removed and another in
it's place. The point being that the twins are totally different, Kathleen
has always been a "box" kid, she makes notes for herself, follows lists
etc., and is an Honor Roll student, Chris though Honor roll before the
escalation of the seizures, he never was a "box" kid, has always been the
laid back kid, very artsy, in fact, his art teacher sees a great deal of
promise in his gift and he takes weekend adult art classes. Anyhow, it
takes a bit of talking to him when his sister gets awards, but he can
outdraw her and his swimming skills at his swim club is awesome as well.
All kids need to know that they have gifts and talents that do not match
each other. It helps a bit with the competition between the twins, as well
as helps (IMO), with their "feel good" about themselves and not be an
offshoot of their twin.

Good luck

Shirley
Chris and Kathleen 1/95

Old April 3rd 05, 03:59 AM
Cindy Wells

They are two different people. Treat them as appropriate for each
individual. You may have to take some extra time to explain what
is going on to your children but it will be worth it.

Cindy Wells
(whose mother followed that exact principle with raising my sister
and I after watching one set of twins in junior high or so and
another in college)

Old April 3rd 05, 04:56 AM
Cindy Wells

Additional thoughts. You don't have to decide now. After they
are in preschool for a few months, talk to their teachers (and any
special therapist/s that are involved). You'll need to consider
if they have separation issues and if those are severe enough
to interfere with them learning in different environments.

There are advantages to letting them be on different schedules.
Many teachers and students will not connect them as twins and
the comparisons may be reduced. (Unfortunately, you may get
other comparisons instead - my grandmother was a year younger
than her sister and always got the "why aren't you as good a student
as your sister". It sounded really annoying since Great-aunt Anne
had a very different personality than my grandmother. I have no idea
if Anne got compared to their other sisters.)

Cindy Wells

Old April 6th 05, 08:31 PM
animzmirot

"Jake Mysterio" wrote in message
Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has one twin who is more advanced than the other?
I have 3 year old twins who are due to start preschool next year and one

has
a disability and will probably need two years of preschool, my problem is

do
I hold back my other twin so that the "slower" twin can catch up or do I
just let her go ahead and be in a diferent year level? Any feed back would
be appreciated.

I do. One of my twins is profoundly gifted, the other has learning
difficulties. One is a couple of years ahead of the other in school. When
they were in 3rd grade, one skipped a year, then skipped another year in 5th
grade. He's now in 9th grade and is 12. His sister is in 7th grade, and
she's one of the youngest in her class as in our area many people redshirt
their kids for a year, starting K at 6 instead of 5.

It has worked out very well for us, keeps the competition to a minimum, and
because they attend different schools, allows them individuality that they
may not have had otherwise.

Marjorie