Canada: Court tells doctor to foot daughter's med school bill

Old January 26th 05, 05:34 PM
Bill in Co.

DaKitty wrote:
Phil #3 wrote:

Mexico?"
Keyword and the topic of this branch of the thread was about freedoms of
people within the country.

Bye
Phil #3

You said that before. Are you actually going to follow through this
time, or just act like a tantruming two year old and say bye 67 more
times, as if I'm supposed to care whether you'r here or not?

He (like a few others) is going to do the latter. (But I thought you knew
bettter)

Old January 27th 05, 01:58 AM
Phil #3

"Bill in Co." wrote in message
ink.net...
DaKitty wrote:
Phil #3 wrote:

Mexico?"
Keyword and the topic of this branch of the thread was about freedoms
of
people within the country.

Bye
Phil #3

You said that before. Are you actually going to follow through this
time, or just act like a tantruming two year old and say bye 67 more
times, as if I'm supposed to care whether you'r here or not?

He (like a few others) is going to do the latter. (But I thought you
knew
bettter)

Sorry to disappoint but I've already blocked DaKitty and after this post,
you as well. Typical of thickheaded people like Da Kitty, I've never said I
was leaving before and failed to follow through, which is the reason I
refuse to waste my time arguing and slinging pointless and meaningless
insults.
Who, I wonder are "the others"? I guess people who don't do everything in
their power to degrade, insult and belittle everyone around them.
I have no time to argue pointlessly. My intent was discussion: perhaps one
of you have heard of it. It's the idea where two or more *exchange* ideas
instead of preaching one's personal bias as if only they were the only ones
who, as I like to say: 'got it all knowed up'.
I'm sure your mothers are both sooooo proud )
Phil #3

Old January 27th 05, 03:39 AM
DaKitty

"Bill in Co." wrote in message
ink.net...
DaKitty wrote:
Phil #3 wrote:

Mexico?"
Keyword and the topic of this branch of the thread was about freedoms

of
people within the country.

Bye
Phil #3

You said that before. Are you actually going to follow through this
time, or just act like a tantruming two year old and say bye 67 more
times, as if I'm supposed to care whether you'r here or not?

He (like a few others) is going to do the latter. (But I thought you

knew
bettter)

Yea, I know better.

Old January 27th 05, 11:24 AM
Moon Shyne

"Phil #3" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Bill in Co." wrote in message
ink.net...
DaKitty wrote:
Phil #3 wrote:

Mexico?"
Keyword and the topic of this branch of the thread was about freedoms
of
people within the country.

Bye
Phil #3

You said that before. Are you actually going to follow through this
time, or just act like a tantruming two year old and say bye 67 more
times, as if I'm supposed to care whether you'r here or not?

He (like a few others) is going to do the latter. (But I thought you
knew
bettter)

Sorry to disappoint but I've already blocked DaKitty and after this post,
you as well. Typical of

degrade, insult and belittle alert

Old January 27th 05, 03:01 PM
Phil #3

..... your debating and discussion skills are right up there with Bill and
DaKitty bwahahahahahahahahaha.
Phil #3

"Moon Shyne" wrote in message

"Phil #3" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Bill in Co." wrote in message
ink.net...

Old January 27th 05, 09:05 PM
DaKitty

Phil #3 wrote:
degrade, insult and belittle alert
.... your debating and discussion skills are right up there with Bill

and
DaKitty bwahahahahahahahahaha.

degrade, insult and belittle alert
*giggle*
I think I'm liking this... thanks Moon Shyne

Old February 3rd 05, 02:12 PM

I'm a bit confused by the term "adult children", perhaps I need to hire a lawyer
to explain that to me...

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 23:31:30 -0500, "Dusty" wrote:

Court tells doctor to foot daughter's med school bill

Last Updated Wed, 12 Jan 2005 08:59:20 EST
http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/natio...ort050112.html
SURREY, B.C. - British Columbia's highest court has ruled that a doctor must
pay 50 per cent of the cost of putting his 23-year-old daughter through
medical school, referring to the money as "child support."

The decision by the province's Court of Appeal could set a precedent because
previous decisions have decreed that parents with sufficient means are
responsible only for seeing their children through undergraduate degree
programs.

As far as the courts were concerned, adult children have been on their own
when it came to paying for postgraduate education in most circumstances.

The doctor at the centre of the case, William Neufeld, is angry that he must
shell out as much as $22,000 a year to see his daughter Jennifer through at
least three years of medical school at the University of Calgary.

"It's just very wrong to teach the children of this province that if they
happen to be the children of a person who makes more than an average amount
of money, they can just sit on their ass and do absolutely nothing and
expect to be paid for it, as long as they're making good marks," he told the
Vancouver Province Tuesday.

In making the ruling, one judge referred to Jennifer as "an exemplary
student."

The appeals court based its ruling on the fact that a separation agreement
Neufeld signed after splitting with Jennifer's mother Barbara in 1999 did
not set a cap on his educational support for either Jennifer or her younger
brother.

Barbara Neufeld's only income is from spousal support, the ruling noted.

The ruling also took into account William Neufeld's income of $170,000 a
year, and said it might have come to a different conclusion for a child
"simply going to college because there is nothing better to do."

A lawyer acting for Barbara Neufeld said adult children would be unlikely to
receive such support in future court rulings if they took a long break
between degrees or went back to school to pursue a second career at some
point later in life.