Canada: Court tells doctor to foot daughter's med school bill

Old January 14th 05, 04:31 AM
Dusty

Default Canada: Court tells doctor to foot daughter's med school bill

Court tells doctor to foot daughter's med school bill

Last Updated Wed, 12 Jan 2005 08:59:20 EST
http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/natio...ort050112.html
SURREY, B.C. - British Columbia's highest court has ruled that a doctor must
pay 50 per cent of the cost of putting his 23-year-old daughter through
medical school, referring to the money as "child support."

The decision by the province's Court of Appeal could set a precedent because
previous decisions have decreed that parents with sufficient means are
responsible only for seeing their children through undergraduate degree
programs.

As far as the courts were concerned, adult children have been on their own
when it came to paying for postgraduate education in most circumstances.

The doctor at the centre of the case, William Neufeld, is angry that he must
shell out as much as $22,000 a year to see his daughter Jennifer through at
least three years of medical school at the University of Calgary.

"It's just very wrong to teach the children of this province that if they
happen to be the children of a person who makes more than an average amount
of money, they can just sit on their ass and do absolutely nothing and
expect to be paid for it, as long as they're making good marks," he told the
Vancouver Province Tuesday.

In making the ruling, one judge referred to Jennifer as "an exemplary
student."

The appeals court based its ruling on the fact that a separation agreement
Neufeld signed after splitting with Jennifer's mother Barbara in 1999 did
not set a cap on his educational support for either Jennifer or her younger
brother.

Barbara Neufeld's only income is from spousal support, the ruling noted.

The ruling also took into account William Neufeld's income of $170,000 a
year, and said it might have come to a different conclusion for a child
"simply going to college because there is nothing better to do."

A lawyer acting for Barbara Neufeld said adult children would be unlikely to
receive such support in future court rulings if they took a long break
between degrees or went back to school to pursue a second career at some
point later in life.

--
"The most terrifying words in the English language a
I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Old January 14th 05, 05:35 PM

Bad ruling

Really. Both of my parents were married and they just did not have the
money to even help after the first semester. So if they divorced I
could have had the court force my father to pay for my undergraduate
degree? Get real. I believe he was retired at that point. Even when
he did work it was probably $30k/yr.

Eric

Old January 14th 05, 06:07 PM
Cloaked

No ****!

If she is that good of a student, she should qualify for scholarships
and bursaries, yes?

Or perhaps she should get off her butt and earn the money like the
rest of us.

Just because daddy has deep pockets, the courts dip into them. What a
bad ruling. Now every poor schloc will have to fight in court with the
ex over what constitutes the line between being "of sufficient means"
to put their children through higher education. Vendictive ex's
everywhere will drag them throught he courts.... again....

How depressing. Then again, it is the BC courts we are talking about.
Been there, done that.

Old January 14th 05, 06:26 PM
Claim Guy

wrote in message
oups.com...

Bad ruling

Really. Both of my parents were married and they just did not have the
money to even help after the first semester. So if they divorced I
could have had the court force my father to pay for my undergraduate
degree? Get real. I believe he was retired at that point. Even when
he did work it was probably $30k/yr.

Yeah, really - my comment means I disagree with the court forcing the father
to pay. So do you from the context of your message. So we agree, right?

??????

Old January 15th 05, 12:02 AM
LoriMc

Claim Guy wrote:
"Dusty" wrote in message
[...]

Just another side you may not be aware of.

I realize this is Canada we are talking about, but here in the States a
person has to include their parents income on the application that is used
to evaluate need for financial assistance in order to receive state/federal
grants and funding for a college education until the person reaches the age
of 24.

This is just nuts for the students between the ages of 18 and 23 who have
entry level and minimum wage jobs. I can't count how many kids I've had to
tell this to that pay all their own bills and have been totally on their own
for years yet cannot receive any type of assistance because the parents puts
the student into a high income bracket yet the parents are totally unwilling
to help with the students education in any way.

Just last week I sent out suspension letters to students, some where ones
who couldn't keep their grades up due to working a full time job to pay for
their education.

Why is it that some parents who have the income to help their kids out
don't? I'm not talking about supporting them fully or giving them a free
ride, but just helping them a bit so they can make something of themselves
in life. Isn't that what it is supposed to be all about? What's the matter
with some people don't they want what is best for their kids?

Who is ranting because she saw the tears and defeat in a students eyes this
week who was turned down for assistance for this very reason.

Lori Mc

Old January 15th 05, 12:44 AM
LoriMc

*Calinda* wrote:
On Fri 14 Jan 2005 07:02:01p, LoriMc wrote:

Who is ranting because she saw the tears and defeat in a students
eyes this week who was turned down for assistance for this very
reason.

My family falls into this 'crack' that is financial aid.

DS doesn't qualify because the income level is 'too high'...
unfortunately, so is the living expenses staying in MA so DD can
finish high school here.

They still haven't ruled on the 'special circumstances' request that
was filled out months ago, due to the various things that lowered our
family income.

Check into it Cal. Call the Director of financial aid at the school and
have them pull your sons file. You should have heard something about the
decision within a week, two if it is peek time.

There is something not right here? It could be as simple as they need a
certain document to verify some of the information provided (govt rule) and
the letter asking your son for additional information was misdirected. Any
time you have questions about something at the school call as there are so
many students and files to keep track of they cant always call each student.

Lori Mc

Old January 15th 05, 03:17 AM
Bob Whiteside

"LoriMc" wrote in message
Claim Guy wrote:
"Dusty" wrote in message
[...]

One of the exceptions to this rule is when a student has already earned an
undergraduate degree. The student is considered "independent" when they are
enrolling in a postgraduate or professional degree program.

Old January 15th 05, 03:24 AM
LoriMc

Bob Whiteside wrote:
"LoriMc" wrote in message
Claim Guy wrote:
"Dusty" wrote in message
[...]

If a student has earned a bachelor's degree they are no longer eligible to
receive federal assistance independent or not.

Old January 15th 05, 03:41 AM

Well, I think the key point was that the daughter was bing eduated to
pursue the same profession as her father and he was able to afford it.

I'm hot on this topic because both my parents have MS/MA's and neither
paid a time towards the college education of their 5 chilodren. My
mother really couldn't afford it on her salary and the $50 per month
per child that my father sent until the child in question graduated
from HS.

My Dad was a very senior man at THE big multinational Civil Engineering
firm and was absolutely roll in money.

I think that a child should be able to resonably expect to attain the
same level of education the parents have, especially in cases where the
parents can clearly afford it. Apparently the judge in this case
thought so, too.

Grace