Starting Solid food recommendations

Old January 15th 04, 02:49 AM
Stan

Default Starting Solid food recommendations

Hello,
My son is 10 weeks old and I'm trying to figure out how I should start
solid in very small amounts. We're a bit ahead of schedule due to his
size (12 pounds at birth, 16 pounds at 8 week checkup, two weeks ago.)
and consumption (10-12 oz. formula per meal, sometimes as much as
16oz). I'm well aware 4 to 5 months of age is when this is normally
advised, but our friends' 4 month old is smaller and eats less than
our son, so I'm not concerned about future problems as a result. My
question is, what and how much to start? Also, any other suggestions
would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Stan
Old January 15th 04, 03:55 AM
CBI

Stan wrote:
Hello,
My son is 10 weeks old and I'm trying to figure out how I

should start
solid in very small amounts. We're a bit ahead of

schedule due to his
size (12 pounds at birth, 16 pounds at 8 week checkup, two

weeks ago.)
and consumption (10-12 oz. formula per meal, sometimes as

much as
16oz). I'm well aware 4 to 5 months of age is when this

is normally
advised, but our friends' 4 month old is smaller and eats

less than
our son, so I'm not concerned about future problems as a

result. My
question is, what and how much to start? Also, any other

suggestions
would be appreciated.

If the recommendation was concerned with size it would be
given in pounds. Stick with the "4-5 months" (really should
be more like 6) .

--
CBI, MD

Old January 15th 04, 05:41 AM
PF Riley

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 03:55:17 GMT, "CBI" wrote:

Stan wrote:
[...]

This is because, regardless of the weight of your infant, intestinal
immaturity could make him prone to food allergies if you start solids
now.

PF
Old January 15th 04, 03:20 PM
Stan

If the recommendation was concerned with size it would be
given in pounds. Stick with the "4-5 months" (really should
be more like 6) .

This is because, regardless of the weight of your infant, intestinal
immaturity could make him prone to food allergies if you start solids
now.

I see, so even though his physical development outwardly is advanced
for his age, internally this is not necessarily the case? Can things
be so out-of-sync?

I had read about allergic issues, but am wondering if this is as much
of a problem if you stick to rice or grain based foods for first month
or two and once getting to a more 'normal' age for solids, begin
diversifying the diet?

thx,
Stan