Some opinions on hospital policy, please...

Old July 17th 03, 07:02 PM
Joy

Default Some opinions on hospital policy, please...

The one thing that bothered me most was that
she said that if you had a big baby (her
definition was over 8 lbs), colostrum would
not be enough to satisify them and they would
be wailing from hunger. She said that in these
situations they let them sip an ounce of two of
formula from a cup so that they feel full.
Another Mom-to-be must of had a problem
with this as well because she asked if they
would do this without permission from the
mother. The nurse made some kind of
comment like 'you don't have to do it - but
you'll be the one dealing with the starving
baby.'

Heh... My 6 lb 10 oz daughter ate around the clock. Twenty minutes
after eating she acted like she had a giant, empty hole in her stomach
begging to be filled. My 10 lb 3 oz son never acted like he was
starving. He actually got quite frustrated because I was trying to feed
him more than he wanted to. I was a worried he wasn't getting enough,
and he told me!

Joy

http://community.webtv.net/joybelle15/ROSESCLUBFOOTPAGE

Old July 17th 03, 07:18 PM
Larry McMahan

writes:
: Hello, I've been primarily lurking here for the past few years and posted
: a couple of times. I'm expecting my first any day now (already 3cm
: dilated, but not due until the 7th). I went and did all the classes at my
: hospital including breastfeeding, baby care, and prepared childbirth. This
: hospital (and the local area) is pretty pro-BF - about 90% of mothers
: start BFing in the hospital.

: The breastfeeding class was taught by a lactation consultant. The hospital
: has a whole team of LCs to help new mothers. She explained the problems
: with supplementing and how that could cause supply problems, etc - her
: whole lecture pretty much was in sync with what I have learned from
: reading this group.

: Then, I went to the baby care class. That class was taught by one of the
: mother/baby nurses (the ones who care for you after delivery). While she
: had BFed her children and was pretty pro-BF, she offered conflicting
: information. The one thing that bothered me most was that she said that if

This is bull****. We had a 10 lb 6 oz baby, and this was NO problem.

: She said
: that in these situations they let them sip an ounce of two of formula from
: a cup so that they feel full. Another Mom-to-be must of had a problem with
: this as well because she asked if they would do this without permission
: from the mother. The nurse made some kind of comment like 'you don't have
: to do it - but you'll be the one dealing with the starving baby.'

I would suggest stating up front "No formula, no sugar water." This whole
exchange raises a question in may head: Do they allow rooming in, or do
they send them to the nursery. If latter, I would be wary.

: So, I have a few problems with this. First of all, everything I've seen
: says that colostrum is plenty of nourishment for your baby over the first
: few days until your milk comes in. I can't imagine why an 8 lb baby would
: be any different. Plus, if the baby is crying to be fed, shouldn't you
: just put him to your breast? It seems like that's probably what he wants
: and don't you need the stimulation to help your milk come in and to
: determine the supply?

Duh! You are right!

: It appears that I have a good chance of having a large baby (DH and I were
: both 9 lbs and this one seems on the large side), so I'm afraid that they
: are going to try to push the formula thing on me. They seem to think that
: since they aren't using a bottle and nipple, it's not a problem. I'm
: worried that I'm just going to be so overwhelmed that I'll just follow
: anything they say and that might not be the best thing for baby. I just
: want to know if I'm right in thinking that this is unnecessary so that I
: feel confident when I tell the nurse that I don't want my baby to have any
: formula. If it doesn't seem like a big deal to anyone else then I won't
: worry about it.

This is one of the (many) reasons that we homebirthed!

Good luck,
Larry
Old July 17th 03, 08:07 PM

Karen Askey wrote:

Others have offered great advice, such as the sign in the bassinette, rooming
in, and nursing first if they are concerned about blood sugar. The only thing
I have to add is that you might want to bring it to the attention of the charge
nurse that this bad advice is being distributed in the childbirth/childcare
class. Not sure if you're up for that, or if you'd even be taken seriously,
but it may be worth a shot.

I did note on the evaluation form for the baby care class that information
was being given out that conflicted with the breastfeeding class. Don't
know if it will help, but it can't hurt.

Manda
Old July 17th 03, 08:39 PM
jennifer

I did note on the evaluation form for the baby care class that information
was being given out that conflicted with the breastfeeding class. Don't
know if it will help, but it can't hurt.

Actually, you may want to let the LC who taught the first class know what crap
the other nurse is teaching in the second class. Perhaps the LC will be more
invested in updating old/wrong info within her own hospital.

Best of luck, and kudos to you for knowing more about breastfeeding than the OB
nurse. =)

jennifer
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Necromancer with a chaser of werewolf; a drink to make any vampire giddy."
Jean-Claude, Master Vampire
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I hugged you until you were not frozen anymore."
~Dana Scully to Fox Mulder

Old July 17th 03, 09:26 PM
ted

My dd weighed 5 lb 5 oz and they gave her formula because she didn't
poop after one day. I didn't know better.

Be ready and be knowledgeable about what they are going to do. Hope it
works out better for you.

wrote in message ...
[...]

Thanks,
Manda

Old July 17th 03, 09:33 PM
Marnie

wrote in message ...

Then, I went to the baby care class. That class was taught by one of the
mother/baby nurses (the ones who care for you after delivery). While she
had BFed her children and was pretty pro-BF, she offered conflicting
information. The one thing that bothered me most was that she said that if
you had a big baby (her definition was over 8 lbs), colostrum would not be
enough to satisify them and they would be wailing from hunger.

Mine were both over 9.5 pounds. I don't remember them crying in the hospital
at all, except while being weighed, measured and cleaned that first time.

But ... Baby might be wailing. This is what babies do sometimes! Wouldn't
you, upon leaving that nice warm, soft, secure, dark place? When your new
baby cries, offer her/him the breast. Hold him/her. Test out Daddy's
shoulder, too, if it's available. Offer the breast. Stroll the halls. Pat
her back. Repeat all steps as necessary.

Put a sign in the bassinet that says no formula. Keep the baby with you...
although sometimes nurses think they are doing you a favor by keeping baby
in the nursery so you can rest. Heck, I didn't come here to rest! I came to
have a baby!

Have your strongest "no formula" voice ready

She said
that in these situations they let them sip an ounce of two of formula from
a cup so that they feel full. Another Mom-to-be must of had a problem with
this as well because she asked if they would do this without permission
from the mother. The nurse made some kind of comment like 'you don't have
to do it - but you'll be the one dealing with the starving baby.'

A nice little scare tactic. Baby will not be starving.

So, I have a few problems with this. First of all, everything I've seen
says that colostrum is plenty of nourishment for your baby over the first
few days until your milk comes in. I can't imagine why an 8 lb baby would
be any different. Plus, if the baby is crying to be fed, shouldn't you
just put him to your breast? It seems like that's probably what he wants
and don't you need the stimulation to help your milk come in and to
determine the supply?

Yes, yes, yes and yes. You see, you didn't need her advice, anyway!

It appears that I have a good chance of having a large baby (DH and I were
both 9 lbs and this one seems on the large side), so I'm afraid that they
are going to try to push the formula thing on me. They seem to think that
since they aren't using a bottle and nipple, it's not a problem. I'm
worried that I'm just going to be so overwhelmed that I'll just follow
anything they say and that might not be the best thing for baby. I just
want to know if I'm right in thinking that this is unnecessary so that I
feel confident when I tell the nurse that I don't want my baby to have any
formula. If it doesn't seem like a big deal to anyone else then I won't
worry about it.

Yes you are right in thinking this is unnecessary. And yes, you might be
overwhelmed and as a result let them do what they want. The important thing
is, you are thinking about this now, and can prepare yourself in case they
offer/encourage/insist on things you don't want. Nursery nurses are very
nice people who deal with so many babies ... nurses often turn, by rote or
by policy or by miseducation, to what seems like an easy solution, be it for
them or for you. It's your baby. You get to decide what goes into their
mouths.

(BTW, if your baby is big, they might also pull the
low-blood-sugar-must-have-formula trick. You might want to google this
newsgroup about that, too).

Good luck!
--
Marnie

Old July 17th 03, 09:48 PM
Iuil

"Irish Marie" wrote

Is there any come back with the hospital authorities if this happens, I am
shocked that they could totally ignore your wishes!
Marie

Mine were ignored in the Rotunda. The excuse given was that they felt it
was medically necessary (and this is a maternity hospital striving for the
WHO certification!). I wasn't in a fit state to argue at the time.

Jean

--
"And he said:
Your children are not your children. They are the sons and daughters of
Life's longing for itself. They come through you but not from you, and
though they are with you, yet they belong not to you." Khalil Gibran

Return address is unread. Replies to firstnamelastname @eircom.net.

Old July 17th 03, 09:58 PM
Irish Marie

"Iuil" wrote in message

"Irish Marie" wrote

Is there any come back with the hospital authorities if this happens, I

am
shocked that they could totally ignore your wishes!
Marie

Mine were ignored in the Rotunda. The excuse given was that they felt it
was medically necessary (and this is a maternity hospital striving for the
WHO certification!). I wasn't in a fit state to argue at the time.

/shakes head :-(
Did you ever consider any comeback complaints on them?
Marie

Sad story Plissken Pregnancy 181 July 20th 04 12:14 AM
what does "hospital policy" really mean? P Harris Pregnancy 2 June 5th 04 08:26 AM
Hospital Policies Nic H Pregnancy 4 May 28th 04 07:56 AM
Birth position at hospital with chiropractors (Carl Cleveland III, DC) Todd Gastaldo Pregnancy 0 October 24th 03 05:55 PM
Hospital residencies for nurses and chiropractors... Todd Gastaldo Pregnancy 1 August 23rd 03 06:18 PM