[OT] When Does the Shedding Slow Down?

Old July 20th 03, 02:51 AM
Belphoebe

Default [OT] When Does the Shedding Slow Down?

I'm feeling nostalgic for that suspended hair loss during pregnancy. I knew
that around three months post-partum, I could expect the hair loss to return
with a vengeance, returning to the amount of hair I'd have had if I'd been
shedding all along. So I was bracing myself for it, and it started right on
schedule, at around three months.

Now, DS is nearly 4.5 months old, and I'm wondering when the hair loss will
slow down to a normal rate. It's depressing to comb my hair after a shower
and have so much come out on the comb, only to then find more on my
shoulders. . . . . What has been your experience with this?

Belphoebe

Old July 20th 03, 04:35 AM
Dawn Lawson

Belphoebe wrote:

Now, DS is nearly 4.5 months old, and I'm wondering when the hair loss will
slow down to a normal rate. It's depressing to comb my hair after a shower
and have so much come out on the comb, only to then find more on my
shoulders. . . . . What has been your experience with this?

It takes a while, ime.
My DS is 10mo and I'd say I shed quite a bit from about 4 months to about 7
months. Don't forget to check your drains.....hair loss is hard on plumbing.
(ew!!)
It seems to have slowed down now, but I get little nostalgia pangs when I see
pics of myself just post partum, with heaps of hair compared to now. Now is
usual, but full was nice. Do notice some new growth..I presume that hair growth
stops as well as hair loss?? (that is, new hairs appearing, not growth of hair
ya already got "out")

Dawn

Old July 20th 03, 04:53 PM
Marie

Belphoebe wrote in message ...
Now, DS is nearly 4.5 months old, and I'm wondering when the hair loss will
slow down to a normal rate. It's depressing to comb my hair after a shower
and have so much come out on the comb, only to then find more on my
shoulders. . . . . What has been your experience with this?

Mine started slowing around 8 months postpartum. It is very aggravating,
isn't it! I can't walk without hair getting in my toes, ugh. (my hair is
almost waist-length so it seems to be everywhere)
Marie

Old July 21st 03, 12:08 AM
Criazzo

I know exactly what you are going through, and I was just wondering the same
thing myself. My son is 4.5 months old and I was hoping that this hair loss
thing would end soon. My hair had grown really long and full during
pregnancy, then like clockwork it started coming out around 3 months. I
went and got a good bit of it chopped off because I am sick of having long
hairs end up everywhere. And from what everyone is saying it looks like I
will be dealing with this annoyance a while longer. Ugh. At least I know I
am not alone

Heather
Mom to Joey (3-4-03)
http://home.neo.rr.com/criazzo

.. .

Old July 21st 03, 01:15 AM
Belphoebe

"Dawn Lawson" wrote in message

It takes a while, ime.
My DS is 10mo and I'd say I shed quite a bit from about 4 months to about

7
months.

Eek!

Don't forget to check your drains.....hair loss is hard on plumbing.
(ew!!)

Yup, we've got a drain catch, and my hair keeps filling it up.

It seems to have slowed down now, but I get little nostalgia pangs when I

see
pics of myself just post partum, with heaps of hair compared to now. Now

is
usual, but full was nice. Do notice some new growth..I presume that hair

growth
stops as well as hair loss?? (that is, new hairs appearing, not growth of

hair
ya already got "out")

Ah, didn't know about that last part (no new hairs appearing during pg).

Belphoebe

Old July 21st 03, 02:39 AM
Belphoebe

"Marie" wrote in message

Mine started slowing around 8 months postpartum.

So, probably a few more months to go. . . .

It is very aggravating,
isn't it!

Yup.

I can't walk without hair getting in my toes, ugh. (my hair is
almost waist-length so it seems to be everywhere)

For me, the seems I keep getting hairs on the baby. Between his fingers, on
his neck, about to go into his mouth as he latches. . . .

Belphoebe

Old July 21st 03, 02:42 AM
Belphoebe

"Criazzo" wrote in message

I know exactly what you are going through, and I was just wondering the

same
thing myself. My son is 4.5 months old and I was hoping that this hair

loss
thing would end soon.

Me, too.

My hair had grown really long and full during
pregnancy,

Yup, when my dad told me how nice and healthy my hair looked, I said it was
"borrowed hair."

then like clockwork it started coming out around 3 months. I
went and got a good bit of it chopped off because I am sick of having long
hairs end up everywhere.

I've been tempted to do that, but on the other hand, I still want to be able
to ponytail it since I never seem to have time for any actual styling
anymore. (Blowdryer? What blowdryer?)

And from what everyone is saying it looks like I
will be dealing with this annoyance a while longer. Ugh. At least I know

am not alone

Yeah, that does help.

Belphoebe

Old July 21st 03, 03:09 AM
Wayne Tarzwell

I have considered shaving!!!
We have a hair clipper and believe me when I say I was very close to using
it!

FayeC

Old July 21st 03, 05:12 AM
Beth

"Belphoebe" wrote in message
.. .

Now, DS is nearly 4.5 months old, and I'm wondering when the hair loss

will
slow down to a normal rate.

Hair started falling out when DS was 4 months old and slowed to normal two
months later. This also coincided with my normal spring moult. I was glad
to get rid of some of that hair, since I have thick hair to begin with.
Finding it all over the bathroom, the bed and myself was a nuisance, though.

--
Beth
John & Theodor's mother

Old July 21st 03, 02:17 PM
Belphoebe

"Wayne Tarzwell" wrote in message
I have considered shaving!!!
We have a hair clipper and believe me when I say I was very close to using
it!

That thought crossed my mind too. But then I remember Pua, from MTV's _Road
Rules_ "semester at sea" season. She shaved her head when they crossed the
equator, and it looked really bad as it was growing in!

Belphoebe