Flu and breastfeeding.

Old December 17th 03, 10:07 PM
AlenasMom

Default Flu and breastfeeding.

Both Alena and I are out with the flu, but she's not eating too much right
now. She's really congested and it's hard for her to eat. So in between
lots of sleeping I'm pumping.
Should I pump and dump, or would this milk be okay to store?

--
Lina
Alena born July 1st, 2003

Old December 17th 03, 10:18 PM
Phoebe & Allyson

AlenasMom wrote:

Both Alena and I are out with the flu, but she's not eating too much right
now. She's really congested and it's hard for her to eat. So in between
lots of sleeping I'm pumping.
Should I pump and dump, or would this milk be okay to store?

Are you on some kind of medication that makes you think the
milk would be unsafe? If not, by all means store it. If
so, what's the drug?

FWIW, our ped said to bring her in for an office visit if
she missed 2 feedings (I assume in a row). If she's eating
so little that you're having to pump, I'd worry. Antivirals
did wonders for Caterpillar (who had half a day of runny
nose as her only respiratory symptom and never slowed down
nursing).

Phoebe
--
yahoo address is unread - substitute mailbolt

Old December 17th 03, 11:42 PM
AlenasMom

"Phoebe & Allyson" wrote in message
AlenasMom wrote:

Both Alena and I are out with the flu, but she's not eating too much

right
now. She's really congested and it's hard for her to eat. So in between
lots of sleeping I'm pumping.
Should I pump and dump, or would this milk be okay to store?

Are you on some kind of medication that makes you think the
milk would be unsafe? If not, by all means store it. If
so, what's the drug?

FWIW, our ped said to bring her in for an office visit if
she missed 2 feedings (I assume in a row). If she's eating
so little that you're having to pump, I'd worry. Antivirals
did wonders for Caterpillar (who had half a day of runny
nose as her only respiratory symptom and never slowed down
nursing).

Phoebe
--
yahoo address is unread - substitute mailbolt

I'm on nothing right now. Alena's been to the emergency room twice now, and
both times they've told me to just make sure she's still drooling and
doesn't have dry eyes and doesn't get lethargic. (This is why I'm confused.
Everyone else is saying that I should be taking her in if she's not eating
well... which she's not.)
I'll store it then (I had been anyway) just in case.
Thanks

Old December 18th 03, 01:26 AM
Phoebe & Allyson

AlenasMom wrote:

Alena's been to the emergency room twice now

I wouldn't take her to the emergency room unless she was
having trouble breathing and turning pale.

just make sure she's still drooling and
doesn't have dry eyes and doesn't get lethargic.

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T081300.asp Dr. Sears
agrees with them about emergency room visits.

It's probably too late for her to start antivirals, and
someone's already determined that she's not dangerously
dehydrated, so there's probably no reason to take her for an
office visit (not an emergency room visit - just a sick
visit to the pediatrician).
http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T082200.asp has some "how
to tell whether you need to go to the doctor" advice
specific to the flu.

Phoebe
--
yahoo address is unread - substitute mailbolt

Old December 18th 03, 03:59 AM
AlenasMom

AlenasMom wrote:

Alena's been to the emergency room twice now

I wouldn't take her to the emergency room unless she was
having trouble breathing and turning pale.

just make sure she's still drooling and
doesn't have dry eyes and doesn't get lethargic.

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T081300.asp Dr. Sears
agrees with them about emergency room visits.

It's probably too late for her to start antivirals, and
someone's already determined that she's not dangerously
dehydrated, so there's probably no reason to take her for an
office visit (not an emergency room visit - just a sick
visit to the pediatrician).
http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T082200.asp has some "how
to tell whether you need to go to the doctor" advice
specific to the flu.

Phoebe
--
yahoo address is unread - substitute mailbolt

Thanks for the links!
I took her in the first time because there were problems with her
breathing, and some underlying factors that I couldn't ignore (very low
hemoglobin count, possible seizure disorder, repeated staring spells, high
fever, and then freezing cold baby).
The second time it was caused by her only having two wet diapers all day,
so I contacted a registered nurse service and the reccomendation was to go
in.
In hindsight, I could have waited, but didn't want to push my luck in light
of recent events in my family.
But the links are going to be really useful for future flus.