Sudden Change in Bowel Movements

Old March 1st 04, 07:40 PM
Zucca4

Default Sudden Change in Bowel Movements

Very strange...DS, now a few days past his three month mark and exclusively
breastfed isn't pooping for a few days at a time. We're used to him going three
to four times daily and now nothing at all. He's in fine spirits, doesn't seem
to be in any discomfort., although a bit gassy. Dr. recommended an ounce of
pear juice with an ounce of water or gentle stimulation with a vasiline swathed
cue-tip. We've tried the latter twice in the last week and it produces almost
instant results, however we want him to go on his own and wonder why he's not.

Any clues, expereinces to share, etc?

thanks,
lisa
Old March 1st 04, 08:01 PM
Phoebe & Allyson

Zucca4 wrote:
we want him to go on his own and wonder why he's not.

Normal. Leave him be, and he'll go eventually. Caterpillar never settled down
into that "every couple of days" thing, and at 9 months still poops 6 times a
day. You got a better deal.

Phoebe

Old March 1st 04, 08:09 PM
Nikki

Zucca4 wrote:
Very strange...DS, now a few days past his three month mark and
exclusively breastfed isn't pooping for a few days at a time. We're
used to him going three to four times daily and now nothing at all.
He's in fine spirits, doesn't seem to be in any discomfort., although
a bit gassy.

This can be normal. Hunter was like this. You don't need to do anything,
he'll go on his own. It was kind of nice. Luke on the other hand....the
kid still goes three times a day and he'll be 3 in April. With that much
pooping I can't decide if potty training would be a blessing or one hell of
a mess ;-)
--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)

Old March 1st 04, 08:10 PM
zeldabee

Phoebe & Allyson was all, like:
Zucca4 wrote:
we want him to go on his own and wonder why he's not.

Normal. Leave him be, and he'll go eventually. Caterpillar never
settled down into that "every couple of days" thing, and at 9 months
still poops 6 times a day. You got a better deal.

No, no, no, no! Sprogly's been both ways, and when he poops after several
days, no diaper on this planet can contain it. Wonder what will happen now
that we're starting solids... /

Old March 1st 04, 08:27 PM
H Schinske

Nikki writes:

Luke on the other hand....the
kid still goes three times a day and he'll be 3 in April. With that much
pooping I can't decide if potty training would be a blessing or one hell of
a mess ;-)

Peter was like that, and I definitely put potty training in the blessing
category! He was so old that he had very few accidents anyway, and the ones I
remember were virtually all just pee.

--Helen
Old March 1st 04, 08:42 PM
Nikki

H Schinske wrote:
Nikki writes:

Luke on the other hand....the
kid still goes three times a day and he'll be 3 in April. With that
much pooping I can't decide if potty training would be a blessing or
one hell of a mess ;-)

Peter was like that, and I definitely put potty training in the
blessing category! He was so old that he had very few accidents
anyway, and the ones I remember were virtually all just pee.

I think Luke is ready with encouragement. Steve doesn't want to mess with
it so I'll have to wait until he goes to daycare this summer and give it a
try then. I'm leaning towards blessing too. Even he is getting tired ot
it. "No wipes mama, no wipes!" "I then say "If you are poopy I have to
wipe" Luke, "Ok, just *pat* just *pat*" :-)

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)

Old March 1st 04, 08:45 PM
nina

been there donethat
hes probably just digesting what he eats very well

Old March 1st 04, 09:08 PM
Circe

Zucca4 wrote:
Very strange...DS, now a few days past his three month mark and
exclusively breastfed isn't pooping for a few days at a time. We're
used to him going three to four times daily and now nothing at all.
He's in fine spirits, doesn't seem to be in any discomfort.,
although a bit gassy. Dr. recommended an ounce of pear juice with
an ounce of water or gentle stimulation with a vasiline swathed
cue-tip. We've tried the latter twice in the last week and it
produces almost instant results, however we want him to go on his
own and wonder why he's not.

Any clues, expereinces to share, etc?

As others have said, this is totally normal. Around 2-4 months of age,
babies' digestive systems tend to mature and the result is fewer bowel
movements. It is perfectly safe and healthy for a baby to go up to 7 (and
maybe even 10!) days between bowel movements as long as the baby isn't
showing any signs of serious discomfort or bowel distention. Yes, you tend
to wind up with a gassier baby (and IME, the toots stink to high heaven the
longer it's been since the last poopy diaper g) and when the baby goes, he
really GOES, but it's honestly nothing either to worry about or interfere
with as long. The fact that your pediatrician recommended interfering after
a matter of only a couple of days suggests that he/she is not particularly
familiar with the bowel patterns of breastfed babies.
--
Be well, Barbara
(Julian [6], Aurora [4], and Vernon's [2 tomorrow.] mom)

Old March 1st 04, 09:10 PM
Circe

H Schinske wrote:
Nikki writes:

Luke on the other hand....the
kid still goes three times a day and he'll be 3 in April. With
that much pooping I can't decide if potty training would be a
blessing or one hell of a mess ;-)

Peter was like that, and I definitely put potty training in the
blessing category! He was so old that he had very few accidents
anyway, and the ones I remember were virtually all just pee.

As the parent of another frequent pooper who has long since potty-trained, I
vote with Helen in the blessing category. Julian was actually pretty good
about having bowel movements on the potty long before he was urine-trained,
though, so the mess aspect of poop and the potty trainee didn't really
affect us.

Bowel movements ChitaShines Pregnancy 5 June 15th 04 01:35 AM
Duke Univ. students to change history (obstetric history)? Todd Gastaldo Pregnancy 0 June 10th 04 06:31 PM
Baby's movements HURT! Help... Jill Pregnancy 13 February 24th 04 07:47 PM
Dentist uses Nitrous Oxide? Wendy Marsden General 255 October 2nd 03 09:44 PM
Dentist uses Nitrous Oxide? Wendy Marsden Kids Health 253 October 2nd 03 07:44 AM