Help please: diaper rash :(

Old November 10th 05, 03:39 PM
agent99

Default Help please: diaper rash :(

Sue wrote:
"agent99" wrote in message
Disposables from day one, to my embarassment. I have all these great
cloth diapers, but with a toddler and a baby, I just feel daunted by
the prospect of laundering cloth diapers on top of everything else.

Why on earth would you be embarrassed about that? Why give yourself more
work than you have to. For heaven sakes girl, there is nothing wrong with
disposables. )
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Thanks - it's just that I was one of those "oh, must use cloth" people
with my first, so it's been a bit of a knock to my pride to be using
disposables now. Definitely no need to create more work right now!!

thanks,
99

Old November 10th 05, 05:31 PM
Cuddlefish

agent99 wrote:
Sue wrote:

"agent99" wrote in message

Disposables from day one, to my embarassment. I have all these great
cloth diapers, but with a toddler and a baby, I just feel daunted by
the prospect of laundering cloth diapers on top of everything else.

Why on earth would you be embarrassed about that? Why give yourself more
work than you have to. For heaven sakes girl, there is nothing wrong with
disposables. )
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Thanks - it's just that I was one of those "oh, must use cloth" people
with my first, so it's been a bit of a knock to my pride to be using
disposables now. Definitely no need to create more work right now!!

thanks,
99

Yes come to my home on Diaper Washing Day. You'll be very glad you stuck
with disposables! Also, with two kids, one of which is a rambunctious
toddler - who has time to spare?

Jacqueline
Old November 10th 05, 05:32 PM
Cuddlefish

Default UPDATE: Help please: diaper rash :(

agent99 wrote:

Thanks - we've been trying it. It worked well with ds#1 and his rashes,
and although I use the dryer on ds#2 after baths, to get him dry
quicker and warm him up, it seems to be irritating this rash. It's
already come down in size a great deal, and he's much happier - he went
to sleep around 10 last night without a struggle, and apart from
nursing he slept through till about 6:30. Big brother ended up in bed
with us, but that's another story!

I'm glad it is starting to get better. Poor little guy. :-(

Jacqueline
Old November 10th 05, 05:51 PM
KR

Sounds like my MIL. I left DD there for all of 10 minutes when she was
less then 2 months old, I breastfed her right before I left, when I got
back she was giving her water in a bottle. Grrr.

She's consistently done stuff like this and it seems that when we're
there it's all normal but as soon as I leave DD has constant access to
junk such as teddy grahams, which we use only as an occassional treat.
Grrr.

When I'm around MIl always says stuff like, "I don't know if I'm
allowed to feed you this, blah blah blah..." Drives me nuts.

Anyways, sorry for the hijack! LOL. Mom used to use burnt flour on
our bums when we were small with a very bad diaper rash. I generally
leave them open to the air and only put cream on before the diaper goes
on.

Good luck, I hope it clears up soon!

KR

Old November 10th 05, 06:22 PM
agent99

KR wrote:
Sounds like my MIL. I left DD there for all of 10 minutes when she was
less then 2 months old, I breastfed her right before I left, when I got
back she was giving her water in a bottle. Grrr.

Oh, I hear you. Mine never misses the opportunity to say, "I just can't
believe they don't recommend water for breastfed babies anymore,
especially in the hot summer months!"

She's consistently done stuff like this and it seems that when we're
there it's all normal but as soon as I leave DD has constant access to
junk such as teddy grahams, which we use only as an occassional treat.
Grrr.

Yep. Mine meets every grump from DS#1 with "let's see if Grandma's got
a little treat in her purse for you," and out come the skittles,
tic-tacs, chewing gum (which I'm just scraping off the sofa now, yay).
DH assures me she was nothing like this when he was a kid. It's like
she's playing to a Grandma stereotype or something.

When I'm around MIl always says stuff like, "I don't know if I'm
allowed to feed you this, blah blah blah..." Drives me nuts.

Okay, maybe we have the same MIL? I've also heard mine chortling from
the next room, "Don't let Mommy see me giving this to you!!"

Anyways, sorry for the hijack! LOL. Mom used to use burnt flour on
our bums when we were small with a very bad diaper rash. I generally
leave them open to the air and only put cream on before the diaper goes
on.

Burnt flour!?! Does it work? My mom once came into the kitchen while I
was cooking and said, "it smells like earache in here!" Turns out her
mother only ever bought olive oil to pour warm into their ears when
they had an earache, never for cooking food.

Good luck, I hope it clears up soon!

KR

Thanks! It's getting a lot better,
99

Old November 10th 05, 06:25 PM
agent99

JennP wrote:
"agent99" wrote in message
ups.com...
Doc today prescribed a hydrocortizone cream with an antifungal in it.
She also suggested suspending solids at least till the rash clears up,
and said that if I want to delay introducing solids past six months,
that was cool with her, but to start using an iron supplement shortly
after six months if he's still exclusively bfed.

It sounded fungal to me. I hope it works. I know after 24 hours on the
Nystatin Jessica's rash was half what it was.

JennP.

Yeah, there ended up being two distinct varieties of rash butting up on
one another - the bright red yeasty bits, and the pinker, rougher
contact irritation. The antifungal cleared the former up within 3
diaper changes (which the other antifungal I had already hadn't done,
so I guess the hydrocort helped a lot), and using a thicker barrier
cream seems to be taking down the other rash.

He's getting better, which is the main thing.

Now, if only I could figure out why his poops have suddenly gone from
lovely thick mustard yellow every 2 days to watery, mucusy green every
hour or two.

99

Old November 10th 05, 07:27 PM
Cocoamum

agent99 skrev:
When I'm around MIl always says stuff like, "I don't know if I'm
allowed to feed you this, blah blah blah..." Drives me nuts.

Okay, maybe we have the same MIL? I've also heard mine chortling from
the next room, "Don't let Mommy see me giving this to you!!"

They come in Danish versions too.

I was 34 when I had my first, and I've always been a bitch. She simply
very quickly didn't have access to the kids alone.

She couldn't take them out to town, and later when she could (when the
kid was old enough to take care of traffic herself) only if her car was
in the front of my house so that I'd be sure they didn't drive in it.

I'm one tough DIL, but I have the full support of my DH.

Tine, Denmark
Old November 11th 05, 05:10 AM
Chookie

In article .com,
"agent99" wrote:

DS#2, aged almost 6 months, has a diaper rash. A big nasty red rash all
over his cheeks, radiating out from the anus. It's clearly very sore,
and he's been spending lots of time with a bare bum, thick unscented
zinc cream on his bum, and very frequent diaper changes (disposable, so
should "wick away" pee).

It turned up suddenly on Sunday. He's been very gassy and loose, with
mucusy green poops since Sunday, and on Saturday MIL who was visiting
gave him "a couple of teaspoons - I mean, a taste or two, not much" of
strawberry yogurt while I was in the shower. My diet hasn't changed, so
I think the yogurt is the culprit. I'm gently trying him on rice
cereal, but he's not really going for it and I don't think he's ready
for solids other than the odd taste for experimentation. I wouldn't
mind trying to firm up the poops, though, since that might make them
burn less.

MIL dismisses the notion that the yogurt (or the strawberries within)
might be the cause, and instead thinks it's because I've been putting
him in our newly acquired exersaucer so much, so he's on his bum more.

She would, wouldn't she? I've never heard of rashes from sitting, but I've
certainly heard of strawberry rash. It's very easy to OD on strawberries and
get a rash, even in older children. Wonder did your dear MIL stuffed more
yoghurt down your DS's gullet than she's admitting?

I hope that you never need to leave your baby unattended with MIL again.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"In Melbourne there is plenty of vigour and eagerness, but there is
nothing worth being eager or vigorous about."
Francis Adams, The Australians, 1893.

Diaper Rash Leslie Pregnancy 42 January 25th 05 12:49 AM
Diaper rash advice needed Wendy Pregnancy 29 October 10th 04 05:05 AM
Thrush diaper rash? Elana Kehoe Breastfeeding 0 April 6th 04 12:20 PM
Which foods can cause diaper rash? Jen Breastfeeding 11 February 5th 04 12:17 AM