Will the court allow me to refuse child support?

Old October 17th 07, 04:31 AM posted to alt.child-support
[email protected]

Default Will the court allow me to refuse child support?

Apologies if this is not the right forum for this question, but I am
hoping someone will know the answer. My soon to be ex and I live on
separate coasts and have just filed for divorce. He has more
financial resources than I do so fighting this would be nearly
impossible for me. Basically what transpired before the paperwork was
signed was he emailed me saying if I did not sign a paper saying I
will forgo any support ordered by the court and that I will never at
any future time seek any support from him, then he would fight me for
custody of our youngest child. Again I don't have the resources to
hire an attorney, let alone fly cross country to fight this. So my
question is: If he presents this in court, will the judge say ok, no
child support needed here? The state the petition is filed in is West
Virginia. Any help any one can provide is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Old October 17th 07, 05:21 AM posted to alt.child-support
DB

wrote in

child support needed here? The state the petition is filed in is West
Virginia. Any help any one can provide is greatly appreciated!

So you two can't act like adults and work out on your own what is reasonable
for your child!
The divorce decree will honor and enforce any agreement you two agree upon.

Old October 17th 07, 06:52 AM posted to alt.child-support
teachrmama

"DB" wrote in message

wrote in

child support needed here? The state the petition is filed in is West
Virginia. Any help any one can provide is greatly appreciated!

So you two can't act like adults and work out on your own what is
reasonable for your child!
The divorce decree will honor and enforce any agreement you two agree
upon.

Actually, that may not be true. Judges have often said that child support
is for the child, and cannot be bargained away by the parent.

Old October 17th 07, 07:28 AM posted to alt.child-support
DB

"teachrmama" wrote in message

"DB" wrote in message

wrote in

child support needed here? The state the petition is filed in is West
Virginia. Any help any one can provide is greatly appreciated!

So you two can't act like adults and work out on your own what is
reasonable for your child!
The divorce decree will honor and enforce any agreement you two agree
upon.

Actually, that may not be true. Judges have often said that child support
is for the child, and cannot be bargained away by the parent.

How could I forget, this is Amereeca!

Old October 17th 07, 08:01 AM posted to alt.child-support
Gini

"teachrmama" wrote in message

"DB" wrote in message

wrote in

child support needed here? The state the petition is filed in is West
Virginia. Any help any one can provide is greatly appreciated!

So you two can't act like adults and work out on your own what is
reasonable for your child!
The divorce decree will honor and enforce any agreement you two agree
upon.

Actually, that may not be true. Judges have often said that child support
is for the child, and cannot be bargained away by the parent.

==
Oh, good grief--Have you forgotten, all they have to do is write a letter?

Old October 17th 07, 12:01 PM posted to alt.child-support
[email protected]

On Oct 17, 1:52 am, "teachrmama" wrote:
"DB" wrote in message
Actually, that may not be true. Judges have often said that child support
is for the child, and cannot be bargained away by the parent.

teachrmama's probably correct...West Virginia's laws largely mirror
Virginia's and you couldn't make such an agreement here in Virginia.

Old October 17th 07, 12:07 PM posted to alt.child-support
Illiana via FamilyKB.com

wrote:
[...]

Do not sign anything until a court clerk hands down an order from a judge.
Your ex is just trying to bully you. Unfortunately for him, and others like
him, (according to all the loons on here), the mother will get custody not
matter how much the father spends on a lawyer. If you’re not a drunk, a
druggie, and have a home for you and your child to live, you should not have
a problem keeping your child.
What you need to do is file for child support, and custody in the state
where you currently are so that the child support office will appoint you a
representative.
By the way, this is the wrong place to ask for useful or helpful info
concerning child support and/or custody if you are a woman, and mother. The
people on here have claimed this is their domain, and it is only for non
custodial parents, and men who feel that women have no right to ask for child
support, let alone get it. You will get a lot of negative reinforcement, but
just ignore it, and go file the paperwork today.
If you check back here later, you will probably see about 50 comments bashing
me for giving you useful information.

Old October 17th 07, 12:29 PM posted to alt.child-support
Critnol

On Oct 17, 4:07 am, "Illiana via FamilyKB.com" u38194@uwe wrote:
wrote:
[...]

-
Message posted viahttp://www.familykb.com

Thanks for all the advice! Unfortunately I have not been in this
state long enough to file here due to residency requirements and have
already returned my paperwork to West Virginia the court. Thanks
again!!

Old October 17th 07, 12:41 PM posted to alt.child-support
Illiana via FamilyKB.com

Critnol wrote:
wrote:
Apologies if this is not the right forum for this question, but I am

[quoted text clipped - 33 lines]
-
Message posted viahttp://www.familykb.com

Thanks for all the advice! Unfortunately I have not been in this
state long enough to file here due to residency requirements and have
already returned my paperwork to West Virginia the court. Thanks
again!!

That's fine, so long as you filed it. Don't let him bully you. If he is a
bully to you to get what he wants out of you, how do you think he will handle
the child to get what he wants out of him/her?

Old October 17th 07, 02:57 PM posted to alt.child-support
teachrmama

"Gini" wrote in message

"teachrmama" wrote in message

"DB" wrote in message

wrote in

child support needed here? The state the petition is filed in is West
Virginia. Any help any one can provide is greatly appreciated!

So you two can't act like adults and work out on your own what is
reasonable for your child!
The divorce decree will honor and enforce any agreement you two agree
upon.

Actually, that may not be true. Judges have often said that child
support is for the child, and cannot be bargained away by the parent.

==
Oh, good grief--Have you forgotten, all they have to do is write a letter?

Yep--it's always worked before, right? chuckle