disposable diapers

Old July 13th 03, 01:15 AM
Rosalie B.

Default disposable diapers

x-no-archive:yes dragonlady wrote:

In article ,
"E" wrote:

OK, I agree but I thought rayon was "manmade"
Edith
who treats things as natural vs. manmade...

Yes I'm always a bit POed at people who talk about 'chemicals' as
though chemicals were bad things when there isn't anything in the
world that isn't made of chemicals. It's like saying 'animals' and
meaning only mammals and excluding spiders or fish.

Well, in the long run, everything is "manmade" -- the cotton does not
grow on the plant prewoven. (Sorry -- it's hot, and I felt like it.)

Rayon is a natural, plant fiber made from trees (wood). This is the
reason that those of us who enjoy fabric art -- from handpainting to tie
dying to whatever -- know we can use rayon. The "fiber reactive" dyes
require natural fabrics, and just don't work on the stuff with a
petro-chemical base.

It's also, imho, the reason that rayon drapes so nicely, and breathes
well, and feels good close to the skin!

I'm not sure why folks think that rayon is in the same category as nylon
and lycra and polyester -- maybe just the name? But it isn't.

My problem with rayon is that it often requires hand washing or dry
cleaning, and I don't think it wears as well as cotton. So rayon may
not be manufactured in the same sense as nylon but it isn't quite the
same as cotton or linen is it? Maybe it's just that cheaper clothes
are made of it.

grandma Rosalie
Old July 13th 03, 01:33 AM
toto

On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 22:48:22 GMT, "E"
wrote:

does anyone have a copy of the kids report that he wrote about the harmful
effects of the horrible chemical H20? how it kills so many people each
year...

You mean this one?

Dihydrogen monoxide is colorless, odorless, tasteless, and kills
uncounted thousands of people every year. Most of these deaths are
caused by accidental inhalation of DHMO, but the dangers of dihydrogen
monoxide do not end there.

Prolonged exposure to its solid form causes severe tissue damage.
Symptoms of DHMO ingestion can include excessive sweating and
urination, bloating, nausea, vomiting and body electrolyte imbalance.
For those who have become dependent, DHMO withdrawal means certain
death.

Dihydrogen monoxide is also known as hydroxyl acid, and is the major
component of acid rain. It:
--contributes to the "greenhouse effect".
--may cause severe burns.
--contributes to the erosion of our natural landscape.
--accelerates corrosion and rusting of many metals.
--may cause electrical failures and decreased effectiveness of
automobile brakes.
--has been found in excised tumors of terminal cancer patients.

Contamination Is Reaching Epidemic Proportions! Significant quantities
of dihydrogen monoxide have been found in almost every stream, lake,
and reservoir in America today. But the pollution is global, and the
substance has even been found in Antarctic ice. DHMO has caused
millions of dollars of property damage in the Midwest, and recently
California.

Despite the danger, dihydrogen monoxide is often used:
--as an industrial solvent and coolant.
--in nuclear power plants.
--in the production of Styrofoam.
--as a fire retardant.
--in many forms of cruel animal research.
--in the distribution of pesticides. (Even after washing, produce
remains contaminated by this chemical.)
--as an additive in certain "junk-foods" and other food products.

The American government has refused to ban the production,
distribution, or use of this chemical compound due to its "importance
to the economic health of this nation." Worse, military
organizations--- the Navy is the worst offender--- are developing
weapons based on DHMO. Other branches of the military receive tons the
substance through a highly sophisticated distribution network that's
hidden underground, away from public scrutiny. Many military
facilities store large quantities of DHMO for later use!

It's Not Too Late! Act NOW to prevent further contamination. Find out
more about this dangerous chemical. What you don't know can hurt you
and others throughout the world.

--
Dorothy

Outer Limits
Old July 13th 03, 02:04 AM
dragonlady

"E" wrote:

[...]

It's the same as any other fabric: there's high quality, and low
quality. The higher quality rayon wears well, goes through the washer
and even the dryer, and is nice to work with. Some of it even resists
wrinkling (that is my biggest problem: I don't iron stuff, and rayon
tends to wrinkle easily -- though it is also easy to iron. I don't care
much for cotton in my "Sunday go-to-meeting" clothes, and can't afford
silk -- rayon seems to work pretty well for that.

However, it IS the same as cotton or linen, in that it is a natural
fiber that breathes well and takes dyes well.

I could be wrong about this, but I get the impression that a decade or
so ago (before I started sewing . . .) the rayon stuff that was on the
market was mostly cheap stuff.

Old July 14th 03, 08:25 PM

"blacksalt" wrote in message
E wrote:

OK, I agree but I thought rayon was "manmade"

A very interesting website:
http://www.fibersource.com/f-tutor/rayon.htm

NEAT! thanks!
Edith