Does anybody have any useful advice on how to collect a child support debt?

Old November 21st 07, 12:27 AM posted to alt.child-support
teachrmama

Default Does anybody have any useful advice on how to collect a child support debt?

"Paula" wrote in message
On Nov 20, 9:41 am, "teachrmama" wrote:

"Banty" wrote in message

In article , teachrmama says...

Oh, so you think the 2 year old and the 5 year old should sit in on the
negotiations? Because the parents would be likely trying to rip their
children off, and the 2 year old and the 5 year old should be their to
stand
up for themselves? Wow--interesting concept.

Of course not. That's why it is made certain that their interests are
represented by someone *else*, and someone disinterested and competent
in
the
relevent laws and practices of the situation. It is certainly fair to
question
the particulars of the laws and practices of the situation. But it's
unwise to
forget why they're there.

Then we might as well all give up and let Big Daddy Government take over
and
tell us every move to make. Obviously, a father and a mother are too
ignorant, selfish, and immature to look out for the best interests of
their
own children, so *other* adults, who do not know the children, the
circumstances, or the situation are **far better able** to make any
necessary decisions than the stupid parents are. Why don't we just
change
the age af adulthood to, say, 90, rather than 18. And the instant a
child
is conceived he becomes a ward of the court--and the parents supply the
money--but only those who have passed some sort of government
standardized
test snd become mighty Government Workers make decisions about how the
child
is reared. Except for their own children, of course. A different
Gvoernment Worker is assigned to their case. All Hail the Mighty
Government. All Hail Big Brother. How would we survive without Him!!

More emotion and extremeism ... which doesn't get anyone
any closer to a workable solution, now does it?!

But you know what else doesn't get us any closer to a solution? Insisting
that PARENTS are so useless that they canno be trusted to act in the best
interests of their children!! Saying that some paid lackey can look at a
piece of paper and know better than the parents what the chuld needs. How
does that help anything, Paula? How does putting somebody else in carge of
your child's life help anything?

Do you really think that
parents *want* to make their kids miserable, Banty? Were you to
divorce,
would your husband go out of his way to make sure your child lived at
poverty level just to put a few extra dollars in his pocket or to make
you
miserable?

Again with argument that two parents with proven animosity toward each
other, or
at least insufficient cooperative relation to each other to get
together
actually raise the child (what a concept), and their pocketbooks at
stake
boot, are going to act with enlightened reasonableness and far sighted
wisdom.

And MIghty Government **always** acts with enlightened reasonableness and
far sighted wisdom. That's why the bidget is balanced, and tehe country
is
at peace.

I think, given the opportunity, the *vast majority* of parents could pull
it
off, Banty.

And I disagree. I think you need to remove those rose-colored
glasses and take a real look at the animosities between the
parents to whom you refer.

Perhaps the animosity comes, in part, from one parent being told "you're the
good one," and the other being told "you're the deadbeat." Then being
treated that way by the system.

Then the system could work with only those that actually *need*
the system--which is why it was set up to begin with.

Which, IMHO, is a far greater percentage than you are
willing to acknowledge.

Oh, you will never get me to reinforce your feeling that most parents are
incapable of parenting their own children. What a sad, sad life you must
lead to believe such evil about others.

And you stake the childhoods and well being of tens of thousands of
children on
that optimistic confidence of yours.

YOU stake the childhoods of tens of thousands of children on a cold
strangers following little numbers on a pices of paper withou regards to
the
real circumstances of a situation. Hmmmm...cold, uncaring government vs
loving parents......hmmmm...who would I want making choices for my
children....hmmmm.....

Some of those parents are cold and uncaring when it comes
to anything other than their own wants and needs ... hmmmm.

And you parlay those *some" into everyone needing to be controlled by the
system. Very, very sad.

Old November 21st 07, 04:23 PM posted to alt.child-support
Paula

"Banty" wrote in message

[...]

You are the one calling parents "scum", "ignorant", "selfish",
and "immature", teachrmama ... let's cut with the projection
and stick to the issues.

What I said was that *some* parents cannot see past
their own pain, anger, and frustration to get to the important
issues of what's best for their child(ren). These parents need
the intervention of the state to safeguard the child(ren).

Do all parents require intervention? Certainly not! Should
intervention be preemptive? Certainly not!

That "paid lackey" *should* be an unbiased, objective
perspective on the needs of the child(ren) -- which is
necessary when the parents can't see past themselves.

[...]

Your situation is an extreme, as is mine. But if
you really think that the animosity that occurs when
a relationship breaks down is due to the system
holding bias toward one parent over the other, you
need to further educate yourself on the topic of
human behaviour and psychology because you
are WAY off the mark.

Then the system could work with only those that actually *need*
the system--which is why it was set up to begin with.

Which, IMHO, is a far greater percentage than you are
willing to acknowledge.

Oh, you will never get me to reinforce your feeling that most parents are
incapable of parenting their own children. What a sad, sad life you must
lead to believe such evil about others.

I never said that ... please STOP putting words in
my mouth. You speak for you, I'll speak for me,
and we'll get along just fine. I do not lead a "sad,
sad life" ... in addition to DD there are many, many
things that bring happiness and joy to my world ...
but I've also seen enough to know that there *is*
evil in the world and sometimes it's resident in
those wunnerful parents that you think will always
do the right thing by their child(ren) without having
to be told to do so.

And you stake the childhoods and well being of tens of thousands of
children on
that optimistic confidence of yours.

YOU stake the childhoods of tens of thousands of children on a cold
strangers following little numbers on a pices of paper withou regards to
the
real circumstances of a situation. Hmmmm...cold, uncaring government vs
loving parents......hmmmm...who would I want making choices for my
children....hmmmm.....

Some of those parents are cold and uncaring when it comes
to anything other than their own wants and needs ... hmmmm.

And you parlay those *some" into everyone needing to be controlled by the
system. Very, very sad.

More mind-reading and emotion. Ya know, up until now,
I always thought that you had your head on straight and
had just been screwed over by the system. I still think
that you've been screwed by the system ... but as for
the rest, I'm not so sure anymore.
Old November 21st 07, 08:02 PM posted to alt.child-support
teachrmama

"Banty" wrote in message

[...]

I didn't call them any such thing. I am the one saying that, given the
opportunity (and the freedoms this country was founded on) the vast majority
will step up to the plate and do the right thing. There will always be a
need to step in for the few that don't feel they have any obligation to
anyone. But the majority of people are NOT like that.

What I said was that *some* parents cannot see past
their own pain, anger, and frustration to get to the important
issues of what's best for their child(ren). These parents need
the intervention of the state to safeguard the child(ren).

But the system is not for ***SOME*** parents, Paula. It is for ***all***
parents who get caugt in its web. It is punitive. It is narrow. It sees
only the money that is brought in for the few, and to h*ll with the rest!

*******BUT IT IS!!! Like it or not, IT IS!!!!*******

That "paid lackey" *should* be an unbiased, objective
perspective on the needs of the child(ren) -- which is
necessary when the parents can't see past themselves.

**But the paid lackeys can's see past their little pieces of paper that say
"This is how it should be." They are NOT umboased, and are trained to look
ONLY at the children of the order, and the $$$ that can be brought in.***

[...]

There is, naturally, animosity when a realtionship breaks down. However,
the animosity is rarely toward the children. Many parents can, and do, work
out parenting plans, sometimes together, sometimes through a mediator. My
point is that the system today favors the woman. If one party walks into a
negotiation already knowing she will win, and the other side walks in pretty
certain he will lose, it isn't an even playing field. If both walk in on
even ground, with a truly unbiased mediator, there is a far greater
liklihood of a successful conclusion. And again, there will always be the
few that need the system.

[...]

Now you are misquoting me. I have said repeatedly, and will continue to
say, that most people,** when given the opportunity,** will rise to the
occasion. Right now, they are not given the opportunity. The script is
alreasdy written--and they are forced to go along with it. There is no room
for rising to the occasion--they are forced to do what somebody else has
already dteremined to be "the right thing to do." The hurt of a broken
relationship and "evil" are 2 very different things. Most people are not
evil.

[...]

Let the system be for the **few that actually need it!** NOT the many who
do NOT need it! I have absolutely no doubt that some sort of system is
needed--just as we need a criminal justice system for the few who choose not
to abide by the law. But not for everyone! The same system that screwed
over my family screws over many many families, simply because of its nature.
And the system is no great shakes in helping those who *really* need the
help because it is too busy going after the easy money from those who would
cooperate anyway to help those really in need of help. I am not in any way
saying to completely get rid of any safety net for those who really need
it--I am saying to save it *only* for those who really need it.

I have nothing against you, Paula. I just think that you are overboard in
your idea of how much this system can really accomplish compared to what
most loving parents can accomplish givin the opportunity to do so.