green poop update and a caffeine question

Old July 31st 06, 02:43 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
cjra

Default green poop update and a caffeine question

A is 4 weeks today!

She's still doing her nursing marathons. The nights and mornings are
reasonable (every 2 hrs or so in the morning, overnight she'll go 4
hrs), but by the late afternoon she nurses non-stop until 10/11pm or
so. She'll take some breaks for 10-15 mins, maybe one 45 min break, but
otherwise she's at the breast. Not sure if she's getting a lot of milk
that way as I feel totally drained already. There is milk coming out
but she has to work for it. She usually hangs out on one breast for 30
min+.

I've noticed that during the day she has yellow poops - some grainy,
some mucousy, but by late evening and overnight her poops are green,
sometimes bright neon green. So, it's not infection I'm sure. The
hindmilk/foremilk imbalance makes more sense. However, she's on the
breast for a *long* time. Could it be because she's nursing so much
there's just not time for my supply to keep up? I'm not going to
supplement (tho I do have some EBM frozen), because she has enough
wet/poopy diapers so I think she's getting sufficient amounts.

Caffeine - how much of an effect does this have? Yesterday, her nursing
marathon was even more intense than usual. Normally when she sleeps,
she *sleeps*. But yesterday we could not put her down. She'd doze
after feeding for a few minutes, but as soon as I put her down she'd
start screaming (normally she won't cry when she wakes, just makes
gurgling sounds). This lasted from about 4pm-11pm. It wasn't colic as
she did quiet down once she was put to the breast, and she'd relax. I
checked her temp -no fever. Went through all I ate that day - nothing
new, altho I did have lunch out (mexican, but I eat mexican 2-3x/week).
Same meal I had a few days ago with no problems, but I did have
stomach cramps, so maybe that translated to her? Although she didn't
seem particularly gassy. The issue was just that she would not sleep,
and by 10pm her eyes were all red. Then I realized I'd had ice tea with
lunch (about 2pm). I hadn't had caffeine at all since she was born, tho
I did drink tea 2-3x/week when pregnant. Could one large glass of tea
have such a strong effect? especially given she's not used to it?

Old July 31st 06, 03:46 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
[email protected]

Caffeine - how much of an effect does this have?

Some babies react more to caffeine then others. I can drink my morning
coffee and Lucy is fine, no effect, she eats and naps pretty regularly
during the day. I usually don't drink anything else with caffeine for
the rest of the day...BUT
we went out for dinner when the inlaw's were here and I had two HUGE
cups of tea. I just wasn't thinking about caffeine. Poor Lulu. She was
up until about 3AM totally manic. She was exhausted but couldn't sleep.
I felt so bad. The next day dh and the inlaws took the kids out for a
few hours and we both slept like the dead. Everything was fine. It had
to have been the caffeine.

Karen

Old July 31st 06, 05:23 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
lucy-lu

cjra wrote:
A is 4 weeks today!

Congratulations! It's great to hear she's doing so well

[...]

I cant help much there... I've only just started exclusively
breastfeeding, so Jessie's poos are still changing

[...]

Jessica did this about 10 days ago (she's now 5weeks, 2 days). no matter
what I did, she wouldnt sleep and was awake for about 14 hours with only
a couple of 5 min naps, and just wanted attention all day - she stopped
settling herself at night..... fortunately, she calmed down after a
couple of days.

Hang on in there - rest when you can and hopefully she sleep soon

Locy
Old July 31st 06, 06:24 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Anne Rogers

Could one large glass of tea
have such a strong effect? especially given she's not used to it?

I'm sure it could, whether it did or not would be a different matter! I
think if it were me I would wait a few days and then try again, rather than
avoiding it completely. Babies seem to do odd things all the time for no
reason, though there probably is a reason it's just they can't tell us what
it is.

Anne

Old August 1st 06, 06:18 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
[email protected]

Normal black tea like lipton has about less then half the caffine than
coffee does. Starbucks and other more concentrated teas have more
caffine of course. Just to tell you I drank my normal amount of caffine
with my two girls pregnant and breastfeeding at the most two glasses a
day with no side effects.

I am sorry to hear about your baby not BFing well. They way you
explained it sounds very similiar to the way my second was and I ended
up switching to bottle completely at 4 months to my dismay, but for her
health sake. She was not getting enough milk. One of my theories is
that the Errin BC I was on dried me out, which her pediatrician
suggested but I am not certain.