the end is in sight

Old August 4th 06, 02:00 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Dagny

Default the end is in sight

Dearest m.k.b.'ers,

I'm not sure how much longer I will be nursing. I'm resentful at times. I
may cut my youngest back to two or three times a day.

I needed to get that off my chest. I don't know if I will wean tomorrow,
next week, next month or next year. Or in 2008.

I probably won't have any more children and that will be it for my milk
making. Weird.

I found this poem on another mom's blog. So touching and true. I am going
to print it out and put it up in the kitchen.

-------
Wean Me Gently
by Cathy Cardall

I know I look so big to you,
Maybe I seem too big for the needs I have.
But no matter how big we get,
We still have needs that are important to us.
I know that our relationship is growing and changing,
But I still need you. I need your warmth and closeness,
Especially at the end of the day
When we snuggle up in bed.
Please don't get too busy for us to nurse.
I know you think I can be patient,
Or find something to take the place of a nursing;
A book, a glass of something,
But nothing can take your place when I need you.
Sometimes just cuddling with you,
Having you near me is enough.
I guess I am growing and becoming independent,
But please be there.
This bond we have is so strong and so important to me,
Please don't break it abruptly.
Wean me gently,
Because I am your mother,
And my heart is tender.
------

-- Dagny
Tandem nursing mom to Meg, 10/03
and Poppin Fresh, 1/05

Old August 4th 06, 04:06 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Leslie

I love that poem.

Tandemming is hard. I was often resentful, especially of my older
child (who nursed to 38 months--they weaned at the same time when the
"baby" was 26 months). I let it show, too, and I'm not happy about
that!

It was much easier to nurse my next one for almost 4 years. It's just
something, I think, about having two, and maybe about feeling like the
older one really ought to have moved on by now. So I really do
understand where you are coming from.

Leslie