New Here

Old December 28th 05, 10:48 PM posted to alt.support.single-parents

Default New Here

Hi everyone,
I've only just subbed, and thought I would introduce myself.
My name is Sarah, I live in Queensland Australia. My daughter, Hannah, is 5
and in January (2006) will start Grade 1.
I had Hannah at 19 and her father left when he found out I was pregnant.
I've been on my own ever since.
Hannah was born at 26weeks and had a relatively short (by comparison) 63 day
stay in hospital.

Uhm...I work in IT, I am doing a triple major at university, and I think
next year year I will be helping to run a Young Mums Group, training to
become a foster carer and I've been offered a position on one of the local
councils committees or something. I already feel swamped!

Hannah is a bit of a handful. At 5 she has the attitude of a 15 year old
boy and the temper to go with it.
The one thing that is driving me completely nuts right now is the whinging
and the whining. She won't speak normally, it's always whinging. Is this
just a phase she's going through? Has anyone else experienced it? How do I
stop it?
I would really love to just smack her and tell her to grow up...but smacking
has never worked as her pain threshhold is too high (common with
preemies???) and I loathe smacking anyway. We've been using the 'naughty
corner' disciplinary technique for about a year now...but it means nothing
to her. In fact, she takes herself off to the naughty corner to READ! I
find her sitting there...how do I punish her for sitting in the naughty
corner when she shouldn't? Putting her back there seems a little redundant.
And I can't confiscate her books.

Uhm anyway, I'm rambling. Sorry about that.
I hope to familiarise myself with people over the coming weeks.
Sarah

--
************************************************** ****************************************
If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible

Old December 29th 05, 06:02 AM posted to alt.support.single-parents

Hi Sarah,
Welcome to the group.
Is Hannah a red head? Your description sounds a lot like my daughter Sydnee.
She's 12 now but she was a non stop whiner when she was younger. And she has
a wicked temper, I call it the red head fire. Luckily for me it was just a
phase. She still has the fire but she controls it better. Now she mostly
sighs and rolls her eyes. With the occasional hands in the air , followed by
"Daaaaad" Stomp off to the room
I wish I had some worldly advice on how I deal with it. Alot of ME time
helps.

For now I am coasting, waiting for the pre-teen hormonal years. Any day now,
wish me luck!

Good luck with your busy schedule and enjoy your time with Hannah. It does
get better.

Brian

Old December 29th 05, 11:23 AM posted to alt.support.single-parents

"Sas" wrote in message
[...]

Welcome to the group from Alberta, Canada. I had my twins at 19 as well and
they turn 10 next week. Wow does time fly...

Aaaaanyways, the thing I find with strong willed children, is to remain
consistent. I suggest not allowing her to read in her naughty chair since
that's not it's intended purpose. Since spanking doesn't work, have you
tried taking away things and privileges as a form of punishment instead? I
agree with Kate though about the WHINGING (haha it's been so long since I
heard it said like that) I think recording her voice is an excellent idea.
Or mimicking her might help, she'll be able to see that it's highly
annoying. My son used to whine alot until I just ignored it and asked him
to talk to me in a normal voice, if he didn't, he didn't get what he wanted.
He learned pretty quick. lol

Anyways, good luck.

Christine

Old December 30th 05, 12:41 AM posted to alt.support.single-parents

Thanks so much for the welcomes and for the advice everyone!
I really appreciate it.

About 6 months ago I actually did record Hannah having a temper tantrum in
the naughty corner...no more tantrums! I should have remembered that! I
should put the tantrum online on a website to let other parents know that
it's not just hteir kid that sounds like they've been possessed

We did at one stage, start the whole confiscating toys thing. But it only
lasted a few weeks before she startd bringing toys to me *before* she did
something naughty!

I do enjoy being a Mum though, it's the best job in the world. And the most
rewarding.
Hannah is just demanding and stubborn. So much like me it's not funny
She has no contact with her father at all, so we are currently dealing with
that. I still don't know what to tell her.
Oh! And she's not a red-head...she should have been though

Sarah