Way Behind the Times

Old September 12th 03, 04:15 AM
Robyn Kozierok

Default Way Behind the Times

In article ,
Lindacrc wrote:

I am a day care provider at the public schools and I can understand
the frustration on both sides. I hate seeing a child who needs to use
utensils for their lunch, but can't bring them. I am a mother who
would love to send a child with an asprin to school if they need it.
Yet, I have seen other children get hurt by such things, and a child
almost died for taking out a medication from another child's backpack
and and was extremely allergic to the medication he took.

What level of schooling is this. I can't imagine a high school
student doing something like this unless they were trying to get
into trouble (not necessarily kill themselves, but get high or
something).

--Robyn (mommy to Ryan 9/93 and Matthew 6/96 and Evan 3/01)

Old September 12th 03, 01:58 PM
Hillary Israeli

In ,
dragonlady wrote:

*But first you have to pay for an appointment to see the doctor who has
*to write a perscription -- and it has to be a new perscription every
*year. I REALLY don't understand why a parent signature isn't good
*enough on OTC drugs!

Why do you have to pay for an appointment for that? Can't you just phone
the doctor and ask him to put it in the mail? I mean, you can phone the
doctor and have him call in a prescription to a pharmacy for you, right?
So wouldn't it just be the same sort of thing??

-hillary, whose OB called in some cephalexin for her just the other day.

Old September 12th 03, 02:27 PM
Splanche

Yet, I have seen other children get hurt by such things, and a child
almost died for taking out a medication from another child's backpack
and and was extremely allergic to the medication he took.

What level of schooling is this. I can't imagine a high school
student doing something like this unless they were trying to get
into trouble (not necessarily kill themselves, but get high or
something).

--Robyn (mommy to Ryan 9/93 and Matthew 6/96 and Evan 3/01)

Kids only know what they're allergic to after they've been exposed once. If a
parent only keeps tylenol in the house, a kid would never find out he has an
aspirin allergy until the first time he tries it-- maybe as a teen from someone
else's backpack. Also, even OTC medication can have serious implications. I
have a cousin that died at 16 from Reyes, wich although uncommon in teens, has
been linked to aspirin use with viral infections.
- Blanche

Old September 12th 03, 06:15 PM
Penny Gaines

just me wrote in :

If it is an OTC drug they are probably available in "bubble" packs, where
you have to snap one out to take it. It would be hard to duplicate one
of those to take other drugs. In fact it would be extremely clear if it
had been adulterated.

Perhaps they package OTC meds differently in the UK than in the US. I
have seen many OTC meds in the US that are simply in a bottle. That would
include
any types of ibuprofen, aspirin, Tylenol/acetaminophen that I have seen.
I have, otoh, seen most decongestants/antihistamines in those bubble
packs, but once you separate one bubble pack from the original box
containing the whole thing it becomes very difficult for someone to
identify what it is,
other than that it is bubble packaged. Either way, the question remains,

[snip]

I don't buy that much in the way of medicines, but over here most of the
standard painkillers like asprin and cold-cure things are available in
bubble packs. The foil of the bubble pack (ie the bit that tears when
you get the pill out) usually gives details of the contents, such as
strength and brand. If the kid took one sheet in the original box, and
left the other sheet(s) at home then it would be relatively easy for
another person to check the bubble pack did contain what the child
said it did.

All of which is academic if you can't get the bubble packs to begin with.

--
Penny Gaines
UK mum to three

Old September 12th 03, 07:36 PM
Robyn Kozierok

In article ,
Splanche wrote:
Yet, I have seen other children get hurt by such things, and a child
almost died for taking out a medication from another child's backpack
and and was extremely allergic to the medication he took.

What level of schooling is this. I can't imagine a high school
student doing something like this unless they were trying to get
into trouble (not necessarily kill themselves, but get high or
something).

--Robyn (mommy to Ryan 9/93 and Matthew 6/96 and Evan 3/01)

Kids only know what they're allergic to after they've been exposed once.

Twice actually. The first time sensitizes you, and the second time you
react.

How hard is it to teach high school students not to take medications
they are not familiar with using at home, if this is a concern? Again,
these kids are teenagers, not toddlers. I'd be comfortable if kids in
my 10yo's school were allowed to carry OTC medications. It's not that
difficult to come up with guidelines to keep a kid safe, and by high
school they should be able to appreciate the value in following them.

If a kid is *trying* to experiment with drugs, that's a different story,
and one I frankly don't think is really impacted by whether or not kids
can carry their own tylenol or sudafed at school.

--Robyn