best thermometer?

Old November 6th 04, 07:53 PM
Rob

Default best thermometer?

wife registered for a temporal artery themometer. in her CPR class, she was
told they aren't particularly accurate and to get an ear thermometer. any
thoughts or reviews of what sort of thermometer is convenient and most
accurate? thanks!

Old November 6th 04, 08:47 PM
Daye

On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 19:53:59 GMT, "Rob" wrote:

wife registered for a temporal artery themometer. in her CPR class, she was
told they aren't particularly accurate and to get an ear thermometer. any
thoughts or reviews of what sort of thermometer is convenient and most
accurate?

I was told by my doctor that ear thermometers weren't very accurate
either. When I asked what I should have, he told me to get an
digital, oral thermometer, which I already owned.

--
Daye
Old November 6th 04, 08:58 PM
aj

I don't know if it's just me, but I never get an accurate reading with our
ear thermometer. I could use it five times in a row, and all of the
readings would be different! They do use the ear kind at the pediatrician's
though....

Old November 6th 04, 09:01 PM
Daye

On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 20:58:49 GMT, "aj" wrote:

I don't know if it's just me, but I never get an accurate reading with our
ear thermometer. I could use it five times in a row, and all of the
readings would be different! They do use the ear kind at the pediatrician's
though....

When I asked about that at the hospital, apparently their ear
thermometers are more accurate and they are also a lot more expensive.
The home ones aren't that reliable.

--
Daye
Old November 6th 04, 09:15 PM
Sue

"Rob" wrote in message news:rZ9jd.1129$Zl2.831@trndny01...
wife registered for a temporal artery themometer. in her CPR class, she

was
told they aren't particularly accurate and to get an ear thermometer. any
thoughts or reviews of what sort of thermometer is convenient and most
accurate? thanks!

The ear thermometers are not accurate either. Just get a digital thermometer
and it will be fine. Also, remember it's not how high the fever is, but how
the child is acting that is the most important feature in a child with a
fever.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old November 6th 04, 10:18 PM
toypup

"Rob" wrote in message news:rZ9jd.1129$Zl2.831@trndny01...
wife registered for a temporal artery themometer. in her CPR class, she
was told they aren't particularly accurate and to get an ear thermometer.
any thoughts or reviews of what sort of thermometer is convenient and most
accurate? thanks!

Those are newer and are supposed to be quite accurate. Perhaps they thought
it was more like a forehead thermometer, which are not too accurate. I have
a temporal thermometer and like it very much. Ear thermometers are not good
in infants because they're hard to aim.

Old November 6th 04, 10:24 PM
toypup

"aj" wrote in message
I don't know if it's just me, but I never get an accurate reading with our
ear thermometer. I could use it five times in a row, and all of the
readings would be different! They do use the ear kind at the
pediatrician's though....

If you get lots of readings, go with the highest number. You get the lower
readings when you don't aim properly. The better thermometers takes lots of
scans per second and report the highest value.

Old November 7th 04, 03:12 AM
Unadulterated Me

Rob wrote:

wife registered for a temporal artery themometer. in her CPR class, she was
told they aren't particularly accurate and to get an ear thermometer. any
thoughts or reviews of what sort of thermometer is convenient and most
accurate? thanks!

I've heard the opposite, the ear thermometers aren't accurate,
especially the Braun ones. The best type is the strip that sits on the
forehead I think...for ease of use with kids and babies anyway, not sure
about accuracy.

Andrea
Old November 8th 04, 03:02 AM
elizabeth emerald

"Rob" wrote in message news:rZ9jd.1129$Zl2.831@trndny01...
wife registered for a temporal artery themometer. in her CPR class, she

was
told they aren't particularly accurate and to get an ear thermometer. any
thoughts or reviews of what sort of thermometer is convenient and most
accurate? thanks!

i have a braun thermoscan ear thermometer. same as our gp's use. i like it.
much better than trying to hold down a squirmy baby or toddler for a minute.
--
elizabeth (in australia)
DS - born 20-aug-02

"Old school don't mean I'm better, I'm just getting older" -- Bias B

advice please Kazh Pregnancy 34 September 7th 04 07:56 PM
BBT Thermometer vs. Regular digital Thermometer Shannon Pregnancy 4 June 4th 04 03:46 PM