"Time Wasting Rules" - from Real Simple Magazine - NOT GOOD!

Old July 14th 03, 06:58 PM

Default "Time Wasting Rules" - from Real Simple Magazine - NOT GOOD!

"Banty" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

For me ff was simpler because bf was:
1) Sit down
2) Plop out breast(s)?
3) switch breast
4) switch breast
5) switch breast
etc. alot for hours on end. Both my babies wanted to constantly for
hours on end be on the nipple because of supply issues. I gave up on
bf with my first and persevered with the help of domperidone with my
second.

while ff was:

1) pour water in bottle
2) put formula in bottle
3) shake
4) feed baby for max 15 min

Which required no refrigeration, microwave, pitcher, or measuring
cups. It did require a store :-)

Yep.

I did both, and I think the perception varies on what the mother does and
considers relaxing. Also the milk supply and let down.

If it's feet up watching TV or sitting outside taking in the air and

scenery and
yammering on the phone to friends that mom loves, sitting and switching

breasts
is just the ticket.

If more active pursuits are what's satisfying and relaxing to mom, sitting

and
switching breasts for 1/2 hour or so can be really reaaally sloooooow.

And
what's hard is what *else* has to be done with the time left over after
siiiiittting and leetting dooown and relllaaaaxxxing for a loooooong time.

(And
no - don't say "oh -doncha know you can let the housework go" - I got REAL

TIRED
OF the clutter and feeling allergic to boot in a dirty, cat-hair filled

house.)

I did nurse, but my experience of it was more like that latter. My

temprament
isn't one to sit day in day out and look at baby and TV and trees and

grass
hours and yammer with whoever's hanging out hours in hours out day in day

out.
And I'm too heavy breasted to set up, hold baby in one arm, hold a

paperback in
the other.

Banty

I've been known to nurse standing up/walking around with DD, not in a sling,
just arm. I've been impressed with how much I can get done at the same time
as nursing if I feel like it. usually though, I do sit. also, my boobs
aren't that huge, so I don't HAVE to have support for them, though I do find
that a good nursing bra helps heaps!
Edith

Old July 14th 03, 08:12 PM

"The Ranger" wrote in message
E wrote in message
[snip]
also, expressed bm can be "stored" at room temp. for
quite a few hours before "going bad" whereas mixed
formula can't be...

I am always surprised at how strongly resilient my daughter-units are at

my
attempts to do what I think is best or right. Each test often shows they
will survive into adulthood despite my (and many other well-meaning

adults)
book-based, doctor-supported, new-age intentions. Go figure.

The Ranger

just trying to figure out what you are saying here and how it pertains?

Old July 14th 03, 09:44 PM
dragonlady

In article ,
Clisby Williams wrote:

Banty wrote:

I'm about to take the Myers-Briggs for the first time (I've actively
avoided it) and am reasonably certain that I'll turn up an "E"; I
wonder if anyone has ever looked at this particular aspect of
personality type and parenting styles? I wonder if E's, for example,
are more likely to breast feed, or use attachment parenting?

I test INTJ. It absolutely fits.

Banty

I test INTJ also.

Clisby

Well, I finally took it this morning -- I came out ENTP.

Can I still play with you guys?

meh

Old July 14th 03, 09:49 PM
dragonlady

In article ,
"just me" wrote:

"dragonlady" wrote in message
I'm about to take the Myers-Briggs for the first time (I've actively
avoided it) and am reasonably certain that I'll turn up an "E"; I
wonder if anyone has ever looked at this particular aspect of
personality type and parenting styles? I wonder if E's, for example,
are more likely to breast feed, or use attachment parenting?

Do I hear a thesis cooking?

-Aula

---

I googled just for the heck of it; there are quite a few hits on
parenting and MBTI, but most of it is positive (ie, how to parent) and
based on an understanding of the CHILD'S MBTS, with a few positive
articles about how to understand the mix of "types" in your house and
work with them.

I'd love to read a normative study on how the parent's MBTI (especially
on the E-I spectrum) affects parenting styles, especially as it relates
to breast feeding, co-sleeping, and attachment parenting! I'm not a
social scientist, so I have no desire to do it -- but if anybody wants
to create such a study and publish it, I'd be delighted to read it!

Old July 15th 03, 02:24 AM
just me

"iphigenia" wrote in message
just me wrote:
Think small [projects]. Bookmarks, 4x4 inch items. Those tend to
come together quickly and you can actually finish them in the same
year [BTDT]. Also, if you like counted xstitch: consider blackwork
[which is often not in black].

Oh, I *love* blackwork! Had forgotten all about it, but your reminder
inspired me to go search for patterns online : D

Did you find the butterfly with the beadwork? I did that up in a week in a
burgundy with deep burgundy beads. It turned out fantastic!

-Aula

---

Old July 15th 03, 02:26 AM
just me

"dragonlady" wrote in message
Well, I finally took it this morning -- I came out ENTP.

Can I still play with you guys?

Well, *someone* has to start the conversations, don't they? I can't just
sit here and nod sagely while doing my embroidery all day, you know!

-Aula

---

Old July 15th 03, 02:28 AM
just me

"dragonlady" wrote in message
I googled just for the heck of it; there are quite a few hits on
parenting and MBTI, but most of it is positive (ie, how to parent) and
based on an understanding of the CHILD'S MBTS, with a few positive
articles about how to understand the mix of "types" in your house and
work with them.

I'd love to read a normative study on how the parent's MBTI (especially
on the E-I spectrum) affects parenting styles, especially as it relates
to breast feeding, co-sleeping, and attachment parenting! I'm not a
social scientist, so I have no desire to do it -- but if anybody wants
to create such a study and publish it, I'd be delighted to read it!

I would too. I'd also be interested to see if a decent study could be set
up comparing average population types in the English speaking work V. those
who access usenet at least several times weekly to see if there is a
difference or if we truly are a cross section of the greater society.

-Aula

---

Old July 15th 03, 04:39 AM
Marc

"Phoebe & Allyson" wrote in message
just me wrote:

"Clisby Williams" wrote in message

I test INTJ. It absolutely fits.

Banty

I test INTJ also.

That's three of us.

Make it 4. Although I can be an ENTJ if I try really,
really hard. Since I haven't needed to be one in awhile, I
remember how much work it is, but not that I enjoy it.

Phoebe *introvert by temperament, extrovert by sheer force
of will*

Make it 5, can come out ENTJ if I try, but not really me.
Marc

Old July 15th 03, 07:04 AM
thumper

"just me" wrote:

[...]

I'm an INFP. I see your point about "I"'s and attachment parenting,
but in my case, I never felt that being with DS was draining by
comparison to grown up people. It hardly felt like he was a separate
person when he was a baby. I'm not a "typical" (whatever that is,
LOL) AP practitioner, but did what I could. DS was almost always in
arms and I bf'ed to 22m. I was afraid to co-sleep, but often did and
still do (he is almost 3). OTOH, sometimes I *would* really like to
go to the bathroom by myself!

Being a "P" is not very useful for a work-out-of-the-house mom, but I
can't change what I am! I've found the description of INFP to be
pretty accurate for me, but I wonder if it's like reading my
horoscope?

Take care,
Lisa
Old July 15th 03, 05:08 PM
Sue

Clisby Williams wrote in message
Anyhow, you
answer a bunch of questions and are assessed on these characteristics:

I/E introverted/extroverted
N/S intuitive/sensing
T/F thinking/feeling
J/P judging/perceiving

I do needlework, but it has been years since I have had the time. I am very
much an introvert and have to have my alone time. I don't know about where I
would fall with the rest. Do you happen to know the website it is, so I can
see just where I fall?
--
Sue
mom to three girls

At 3:22 am mom & son nancy Pregnancy 1 December 20th 03 06:57 PM
"Time Wasting Rules" - from Real Simple Magazine - NOT GOOD! Corinne General 138 July 25th 03 09:31 PM