Baby Food Question

Old August 8th 03, 01:35 PM
hobbes

Default Baby Food Question

"Sue" wrote in message
hobbes wrote in message
but I still refuse to buy jarred baby food. For various
reasons: too expensive, too much trash/recycling, not enough control

over
ingredients, inferior taste.

Nah, you don't throw them away, you make craft projects out of them. One
project was to glue different colored tissue paper on them and put a tea
candle in it. Makes a great gift for grandma. There are a ton of stuff to
use the jars for.

--
Sue
mom to three girls

Yeah, I know . . . I figured recycling could mean different things. But
that's still a heck of a lot of little jars to have all over the place. I
mean, to feed a 9 month old, that would be what? 4 to 7 jars in a day? Plus,
there's the issue of the cost to the environment in just the making of all
those tiny jars and lids.

It's just so simple to make my own, I could never see the point of buying
that stuff. I'm a believer in bulk-buying and to fill my cart with all those
little couple-ounce jars just gets me. I know it's more convenient for some
people, but it was really simpler for me to just make my own. And the taste
really is inferior. I only bought 2 jars of baby food for DS and he hated
them both. After tasting them, I understood why.

--
Jodi
SAHM to Oliver (2 years, 5 months) & Arwen (3 months)

Old August 8th 03, 02:22 PM
toto

On 08 Aug 2003 12:32:10 GMT, OSPAM (Naomi Pardue)
wrote:

Nah, you don't throw them away, you make craft projects out of them. One
project was to glue different colored tissue paper on them and put a tea
candle in it.

But just how many teacandles can one person make? I mean, we didn't use a
whole lot of babyfood (one kid, only on babyfood for a few months), but I ended
up throwing out [we didn't have curbside recycling yet] zillions of babyfood
jars, even though I reused as many as I could for other things.

Donate them to a preschool near you if you cannot use them.

None of these are my original ideas, they were saved from
other teachers and parents.

Use baby food jars to make Christmas trees as gifts.
It takes 17 of them. Shape them into a tree and glue them together.
Glue the tree to a piece of flat wood for it to stand on. Punch holes
in the lids and paint them green. Inside each jar, put little pieces
of tinsel and sometimes other small goodies, then screw the lids on.
Take a small strand of lights (35 I think it is) and tuck 2 into each
hole. After that, take wide ribbon and glue it around the outside of
the tree.
You can use those decorative strands of small balls that you would use
around your tree, and decorate the front of the glass tree, glueing
them on.You can also take little fuzzy white and silver balls and glue
them into the spaces between the jars. It makes the look like
ornaments.
Be creative with other decorations.

Make a bunnies out of them:
* baby food jar
* construction paper
* markers
* self stick felt for the bottom of chair legs
* Sharpie® marker
* white spray paint
* cotton ball
* hot glue
* jelly beans (optional)
* scissors
* pencil

Directions: An adult should spray paint the lid of the jar the day
before making the bunny. Students should draw two ears on the white
construction paper, cut them out, and color the centers with a pink
marker. The student should bring the ears and the cotton ball to the
adult to hot glue onto the jar. Next, they should stick the three
small round white felt pieces to the jar. Color two blue for eyes and
the third pink for the nose with marker. Use the Sharpie® to draw the
mouth and whiskers on the jar. Fill with candy and enjoy!

Other uses for baby food jars: Holding paint since they are airtight
and are difficult to break. Also great for covering with decorative
napkins..

Use them to put small amounts of applesauce, pudding, etc.
into your children's lunch box for school.

Store handcreams to take with you to work, if you buy large
containers

Nail the lids to a board and use the jars to store nails, bolts,
screws, elastic bands, tacks, ect. in ( you can nail the board

to the under side of a cupboard, or to the wall use brackets
so jars are down.) This way the items are up out of the way
but you can see what is in each jar.

Use to store small things, eyes, buttons, jewelery findings
etc . Easy to see, if you just have a small amount.

Layer colored sand inside the jar. When full close lid and
put a little "hairy" material on top (don't know what else to
call this), two wiggle eyes on side of jar with a small
pompom for noes and a small mouth cut out of felt.

You can use them to make snow globes by gluing small
figurines on the lid, filling with water and glitter and gluing
the lid on.

You can use a glass cutter and cut off the top, decorate
the side with etching or paint and use them for candles.

You could also decorate the jars and fill with bath salts
or bath beads.

You could fill them with plastic beads and something to
string them on.

Use a baby food jar as a shaker to mix homemade salad
dressings, or to blend an herb or spice rub for cooking.

Make a Flower vase
Use larger blossoms of single buds, cutting the stem
to the height of the jar so that the blossom just
clears the top. The taller jars can be used for a
white mum to place on the bathroom vanity.

For Thanksgiving, make little turkeys for each place at
the table by filling the jars with candy corn, covering the
screwed-on lid with brown paper, and gluing on
construction paper cutouts for the turkey head, feet,
and tail.

Bird feeder

Remember when your kindergarten teacher showed you
how to spread peanut butter and sprinkle birdseed into
an old mayonnaise jar lid? Same idea, just use the
smaller baby food jar lids. Hammer a hole in the edge
and hang with twine, or nail the lid directly onto a wooden
birdhouse.

--
Dorothy

Outer Limits
Old August 8th 03, 03:29 PM
Nikki

Tracy wrote:
"Herself" wrote in message
Tracy wrote:

Which leads me to why I have been lurking....
My son was started on small bits of rice at 4 months (He self
weaned from breast to formula at 7 months) and was eating pretty
much anything. Now, at 9 months he hardly wants food. We had a bout
of diarrhea at 8.5 months and did 24 hrs on clear fluids. Right
after that, he decided he only wanted to eat one meal a day. I know
nutritionally, this is fine, but I am concerned about the sudden
change. His ped isn't. Thoughts?

Sometimes kids go off food for a little bit...just like sometimes
they will only eat one type of food. How long has he only wanted
liquids? (if he only wants liquids, I'm just guessing).

A week and a half...he'll eat one meal, but with a little more
protest. He ate a great lunch today, who knows!

I found that behavior extremely common (going off solids with teeth, colds,
any minor physical illness). They always bounced back in due time. Hunter
took at least 2 weeks to get back to normal, longer if he was really sick.
Luke was a little quicker but he had a larger appetite, took him about a
week is all. I wouldn't be concerned especially after an intestital bug.
He might still feel a little 'off'.

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)

Old August 8th 03, 03:42 PM
Nikki

Ali's Daddie wrote:

What I am wanting to know is how many of you make your own baby food?

What kind of processor (blender etc) do you use?

And lastly, where do you get the recipes?

I did not introduce solids until 6 months so I just mashed food with a fork.
I did not make it ahead of time but just planned our meals to include
steamed veggies, or potatoes, rice, fruit, or pasta. This, IMO, is the
ultimate time saving and cost saving approach! I did send jarred food to
daycare for Luke until he was about 9 months since it was easier for me then
packing a lunch. I'm not concerned about jarred foods though. If we were
having something inappropriate I planned that meal when we had left overs
that were suitable or I made oatmeal. Once they moved beyond single food I
did not hesitate to just serve them our main course although I'll be the
first to admit that the herbs and salt that was naturally in out food didn't
concern me (I didn't add salt, did that at the table) and I know that is a
big issues to other people. I also didn't worry if the food contained milk
or wheat as an ingredient. I did hold off on eggs as an ingredient until 10
months IIRC.
--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)

Old August 8th 03, 04:52 PM
Sue

Naomi Pardue wrote in message
But just how many teacandles can one person make? I mean, we didn't use a
whole lot of babyfood (one kid, only on babyfood for a few months), but I

ended up throwing out [we didn't have curbside recycling yet] zillions of
babyfood jars, even though I reused as many as I could for other things.

For a whole preschool class and kindergarten class, we used around 40 of
them. Then they used them to make small candles in the brownie troups. They
put real wax in those and the children put small candle wax shapes in the
jars with a wick. I don't know, whatever, we made good use of them.

They also make good containers for nails and screws. My husband has all
kinds of little things from his trade that we were able to use quite a few
of them from. Some of the bigger ones are screwed up on the ceiling of his
work shop and contain other various things that he uses.
--
Sue
mom to three girls

Old August 8th 03, 05:48 PM
Rosalie B.

x-no-archive:yes
OSPAM (Naomi Pardue) wrote:

Nah, you don't throw them away, you make craft projects out of them. One
project was to glue different colored tissue paper on them and put a tea
candle in it.

But just how many teacandles can one person make? I mean, we didn't use a
whole lot of babyfood (one kid, only on babyfood for a few months), but I ended
up throwing out [we didn't have curbside recycling yet] zillions of babyfood
jars, even though I reused as many as I could for other things.

I didn't make my own baby food - I didn't have any kind of a food mill
or a blender at that point in my life. I did feed the kids table food
more than seems to be the case now. I didn't worry as much as today's
parents (at least in this ng) seem to about allergies although I had
some, my dad had some and my sister had some.

And my kids seem to be relatively allergy free, although the oldest
one has some lactose intolerance which has also finally landed on my
mom at age 94 although she happily drank gallons of cows milk up until
last month. In any case I don't think that's a true allergy. I also
didn't worry a great deal about choking as far as food was concerned.

I didn't have much success with 'junior foods' so my kids generally
went right from baby cereal (which wasn't that 'smooth' and lump free
the way I made it) and pureed food like peaches and beets to what I
thought of as suitable table foods.

There were two things that I regretted not having access to after the
children grew out of the stage of needing them. One was old diapers
and one was baby food jars. DH has racks of them in the garage - he
nailed the lid to a board, and put the small screws and bits in them
and then mounted the boards and screwed the jars onto the lids.
Everything was kept visible and clean but out of the way. I only
threw them out if I was out somewhere and I didn't want to carry the
leftover bits in the jar around with me.

grandma Rosalie
Old August 9th 03, 04:44 AM
Chookie

In article ,
"Ali's Daddie" wrote:

Alegra is not ready for solids yet. In fact, the pediatrician said that she
will discuss with us the introduction of solids at our next visit (september
30th). 4 month visit.

THe current recommendation is SIX months. If your doc isn't up to date, find
another one.

What I am wanting to know is how many of you make your own baby food?

I made all DS' food at that age, apart from the rice cereal (which I mixed
with breast milk).

What kind of processor (blender etc) do you use?

I used a sieve the one time I tried pureeing and freezing. Guess who didn't
want to eat the result!

And lastly, where do you get the recipes?

The recipe (which I got at the health service Mothers' Group) is:

Steam a vegetable. Puree it. Feed it to baby (or freeze in ice cube trays
for later).

Or alternatively: mash banana (or other soft fruit) with fork. Feed to baby.

It was such a pain trying to spoon-feed DS that we moved to finger foods after
7 weeks of rice cereal/purees. Thin slivers of fruit, cheese, pieces of pasta
etc. DS is now that *other* kind of toddler -- some of them appear to live on
air, but DS eats like a horse. However, he (at 29mo) is as tall as the 3yo we
visited last night, so it's obviously going somewhere. I suppose it is hard
if they don't appear to be growing.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"...children should continue to be breastfed... for up to two years of age
or beyond." -- Innocenti Declaration, Florence, 1 August 1990