I totally flunked my Postnatal Depression test :o(

Old August 7th 03, 07:25 PM
Andrea

Default I totally flunked my Postnatal Depression test :o(

Turns out despite my efforts the dreaded postnatal depression is back.
I really though I wasn't going to get it this time. My health visitor asked
lots of questions and I do have it again. I knew deep down inside, but I was
ignoring it.
I have never treated PND with meds before, and I won't, just like I didn't
with the antenatal depression. I know people and doctors say some drugs are
safe, but while i'm breastfeeding I refuse meds as I worry that in years to
come they may discover that meds have bad effects on your child after all.
I have started taking my Bachs Rescue Remedy, is there anything else
homeopathic that could help?
I am struggling with getting out of bed, i'm moody, tearful and can't face
the housework.

I will muddle through this, it usually takes until the baby is around 1 for
it to go away. (

I love my baby, he isn't the problem hormones are.

--
Andrea mom of 5 - latest addition Kamron David 9 weeks old weighing 15
pounds.

Old August 7th 03, 07:32 PM
Anne Rogers

*having major posting session now whist baby is happy*

Turns out despite my efforts the dreaded postnatal depression is back.
I really though I wasn't going to get it this time. My health visitor asked
lots of questions and I do have it again. I knew deep down inside, but I was
ignoring it.

I did that test, I failed miserably, but this was quite obvious
beforehand, I'm taking meds for it, but no improvement yet.
I have never treated PND with meds before, and I won't, just like I didn't
with the antenatal depression. I know people and doctors say some drugs are
safe, but while i'm breastfeeding I refuse meds as I worry that in years to
come they may discover that meds have bad effects on your child after all.
I have started taking my Bachs Rescue Remedy, is there anything else
homeopathic that could help?

I'd also be interested in the answer to this
I am struggling with getting out of bed, i'm moody, tearful and can't face
the housework.

bad days I don't get out of bed, I just listen to radio 4 and breastfeed,
housework, what's that? in the good bits I manage to get some clothes
washing done.
I will muddle through this, it usually takes until the baby is around 1 for
it to go away. (

I love my baby, he isn't the problem hormones are.

I agree, I love Nathanael to bits, I love to hold him, cuddle him and kiss
him, I just seem to have this roughly weekly up and down cycle that
doesn't seem to be triggered by anything it just happens

Old August 7th 03, 08:45 PM
Ilse Witch

Andrea wrote:
Turns out despite my efforts the dreaded postnatal depression is back.
I really though I wasn't going to get it this time. My health visitor asked
lots of questions and I do have it again. I knew deep down inside, but I was
ignoring it.

{{{{{{Andrea}}}}}} this must be tough!

If you really want to know if there are homeopathic alternatives, the
best thing to do is to find a homeopathic doctor. Not all homeopathic
medicine works the same for everybody (it's not like standard medication
in that respect), and also not all of them are safe during breastfeeding.

In some occasions the PND can be caused by low thryroid function, and
thyroid supplements are among the safest drugs to take while BF-ing.
Also without you can boost your metabolism by changing to a low-carb,
high protein diet and adding some iodine and selenium supplements (I
don't know how safe those are, but the diet cannot do any harm).

Mental strength and good health to you!

--
-- I
mommy to DS (13m)

Old August 7th 03, 10:01 PM
Sara

Sue wrote:

If you don't want to take meds that the FDA (I know your not in the USA, I
just don't know what it is called where are are), why do you feel that
taking a homeopathic medication is any safer? I certainly would trust
approved medication over a homeopathic medication that isn't even approved.

Hey, it's not like there's anything in homeopathic medicine that can
harm you -- unless you're allergic to water or sugar.

I am sorry your having a hard time though. Do take care of yourself.
(((Hugs))

Seconded. Please do whatever it takes for you to feel better and be a
good mom.

--
Sara, recommending http://skepdic.com/homeo.html

I check this e-mail account infrequently
Old August 7th 03, 10:42 PM
Karen Askey

In article , "Andrea"
writes:

[...]

I feel for you, Andrea! I had (have?) PPD but I did decide to treat it with Rx
meds. I'm on a 1/2 dose of Effexor once a day and I feel like the world is a
better place for it! I cannot believe what a difference it has made for me. I
can certainly appreciate your decision to be cautious about taking meds,
though. You know yourself better than me, so if you can handle things in other
ways, more power to you!

I hope you get to feeling better sooner rather than later. I don't know
anything about the remedy you're using or other homeopathic sources, but hope
you can find out more and get what you need, even if it's just a sympathetic
ear now and then!

koa
Still nursing James, 02/06/01
EP'ing for Joey 04/02/03 (BCP)

Old August 7th 03, 11:07 PM
Lina

"Sara" wrote in message
Sue wrote:

If you don't want to take meds that the FDA (I know your not in the

USA, I
just don't know what it is called where are are), why do you feel that
taking a homeopathic medication is any safer? I certainly would trust
approved medication over a homeopathic medication that isn't even

approved.

Hey, it's not like there's anything in homeopathic medicine that can
harm you -- unless you're allergic to water or sugar.

Oh Ghods! This is very far from the truth. Homeopathic medicine is still
medicine. It can still harm you if it's taken incorrectly, or at wrong
dosage, or by the wrong people. It can actually do more harm because people
take it for granted.

I am sorry your having a hard time though. Do take care of yourself.
(((Hugs))

Seconded. Please do whatever it takes for you to feel better and be a
good mom.

I'm also sorry. Please see either an herbologist or a homeopathic doctor
before taking too many herbal remedies.

Old August 7th 03, 11:28 PM
iphigenia

Andrea wrote:
but while i'm breastfeeding I refuse meds as I
worry that in years to come they may discover that meds have bad
effects on your child after all.

hm. imo, it's better to treat my depression, with the remote possibility
that it may cause some long-term problem, than to *not* treat my depression
and be an awful mother who can't do anything and wants to hurt herself.
possible problem vs. definite problem.

--
iphigenia
www.tristyn.net

Old August 8th 03, 12:31 AM
KC

Perhaps have your doctor check your thyroid. I have read that
temporary low thyroid levels after pg can be a part of PPD, and the
treatment for that is just the thyroid hormone, not a drug.

KC