Need some info on child support in texas

Old June 24th 06, 02:01 AM posted to alt.child-support

Default Need some info on child support in texas

wrote in message
oups.com...

teachrmama wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

Gini wrote:
"teachrmama" wrote

wrote
My wife has an 6 year old son with another man. He abandoned her
for
the entire pregnancy and the first 6 months of the babys life. He
started making payments to her since then of 400.00 a month.
Sometimes
he'll pay less, sometimes he pays what he is supposed to. For the
first 3-5 years he paid in cash and the last year or so he paid by
check. They have never gone to court for this. The payments have
just
been a mutual agreement. He told us he now wants to do it through
the
courts. To my understanding, from others in a similar situation,
the
payments he made do not count as child support. If it never went
through the courts it is considered a "gift" and he would be
required
to pay back support from day 1. Is this true? I also know that
the
amount of child support he makes is about 10-15% of his income and
feel that is to low of an amount for him to pay. If anyone can
give
me
any info on this I would really appreciate it. I would really like
get more info on what would happen if we did go through the courts
and
if what i posted is actually true. Thanks in advance

I really hope you are a troll just trying to stir up trouble!! Why
on
God's green earth would you want to LIE and say that he had not been
paying if, indeed, he has had the integrity to pay support for all
these
years? Why would you want your wife to be a LIAR? Why would you
want
your stepson to see his mother and stepfather LYING to the courts?
Is
that the sort of disrespect you want the child to learn? Will it be
ok
when he starts lying to you just to get something he is not entitled
to?
Why can't you just tell the truth?
==
What she said--And why are you sticking your nose in her business
anyway?
You sound like a real peach.
==
You two missed the whole point entirely....I'm not asking anyone to lie
to the courts. From what I understand, according to people who have
gone through this situation, is that in the state of texas, mutual
agreements for child support dont mean anything to the court. A
coworker paid child support to his exwife for 10 years through a
similar mutual agreement. When she went to court to get it official,
he was told the payments he had made for 10 years were not considered
child support to the state of texas, but instead were called "gifts".
he had to pay 10 years of back child support even though he had proof
he paid his ex every month. Thats the thing i'm trying to find out.
Is this how it really works. As to why i'm gettting involved.....I'm
married to this woman and her son. I dont have a choice when it comes
to providing for him. If the boys father doesnt pay the full amount, I
have to make up for that. I want to go through the courts so that we
can have some recourse for this. Just to let you know what a jerk this
guy is. He took his son for 2 weeks a couple of months back. He
stiffed my wife and only paid her half the amount they agreed upon
since she only had him for half of a month. I dont know where you
people got that I was lying to anyone. Please re-read my original
post. As to why i'm getting involved in this.....We have 2 kids
together. Our finances are together. When the ex stiffs us on child
support, thats extra money taken away from everyone in our family. He
has an obligation to his child. Hes getting off easy considering what
his income is. As stated earlier, at best, hes only paying 10-15% of
his income when the state usually grants 20-25% of a persons income to
child support

My question stands: Why can't you just tell the truth? "Yes, Your
Honor,
he DID pay the amount WE AGREED ON for all of these years. No, Your
Honor,
we DO NOT WANT him to have to pay it again. That would not be fair to
him.
I (your wife speaking) would like to sign a satisfaction of judgement for
those years because I DO NOT WANT TO CHEAT HIM BY USING THE SYSTEM. That
is
what we agreed on, and I'm sticking to our agreement." How hard is that?

As for him having the child for half the month and only paying Child
Support
for the other half of the month, what is wrong with that? Doesn't it
make
sense to you? If not, why not?

If the court feels that he should be paying more child support, they will
surely raise the amount. Just how much money does this guy make? Where
do
you get the idea that he should pay 1/4 of his income for child support?
Who gets the tax exemption for the child at tax time? And, while we are
on
financial things, does your wife work to pay her half of the child's
expenses?

Just because you may discover there is a legal loophole that will permit
child support to be collected twice, do you really feel it would be the
right thing to do? Do you want your children to treat their friends the
way
you are planning to treat this man? Would you want your brother treated
that way? Your son? The fact that you think this man is scum does not
mean
it is ok to cheat him--and you know you would be cheating him if, indeed,
you collected child support twice. Unfortunately, this idea that you
have
to screw the man just because it's legal does not reflect kindly on your
character! Think about it!

I'm sorry teachrmama but where did you get that i'm just trying to
screw this guy out of money? Those arent my intentions. I stated that
this is what I had heard happened to some people i knew and i wanted to
know if this was the case or not. So get off your high horse and back
off if you have nothing to contribute to this post. It was brought to
my attention that if we did go to court he would have no choice but to
pay from day 1 of the childs life.

NOT if you and your wife tell the truth. NOT if you sign a satisfaction of
judgment! IF someone said to you "Yes, this is true" would you feel like
you were forced to accept the money because the courts said so? Or would
you pay him back every penny that he had already paid?

The only reason I want to go
through the courts is to have recourse when he shorts my wife on the
child support. I'm not looking to bankrupt the man. I just want him
to live up to his legal obligations and not shortchange us anytime he
finds an excuse.

Well, first, he would be shortchanging neither you nor your wife, but his
child. But, reading your posts, it seems to me that you aer perfectly
willing to shortchange him by letting him pay double and hiding behind the
courts as if you aer being forced to accept the money becausethe courts so
order. Just out of curiosity, how much do you believe that he should be
paying per month for child support? What do you feel is the actual dollar
amount needed to take care of the child? Is the amount you expect from this
man half of the amount it takes to actually take care of the child?

You never did explain why you though it was terrible for the man to keep
half of the support he pays per month when he had the child for half that
month, BTW. Why was that so terrible, in your opinion?

Old June 24th 06, 02:26 AM posted to alt.child-support

"teachrmama" wrote

You never did explain why you though it was terrible for the man to keep
half of the support he pays per month when he had the child for half that
month, BTW. Why was that so terrible, in your opinion?

==
Couldn't make the payments on their SUV?
==

Old June 24th 06, 02:41 AM posted to alt.child-support

"Gini" wrote in message

"teachrmama" wrote

You never did explain why you though it was terrible for the man to keep
half of the support he pays per month when he had the child for half that
month, BTW. Why was that so terrible, in your opinion?

==
Couldn't make the payments on their SUV?
==

chuckle Seriously, this one really gets me. What happened to integrity?
Just because you *can* do something does not mean it is the right thing to
do! If the adults can't act like adults and work things out together, how
do they expect their children ever to be able to do so? Why do courts not
only support, but encourage such outrageously childish behavior!!

Old June 24th 06, 02:42 AM posted to alt.child-support

"Gini" wrote in message

"teachrmama" wrote

Just because you may discover there is a legal loophole that will permit
child support to be collected twice, do you really feel it would be the
right thing to do? Do you want your children to treat their friends the
way you are planning to treat this man? Would you want your brother
treated that way? Your son?

==
;-) How about him, when she dumps him?
==

I don't think he thinks that will ever happen. Think he'll post back here
again when it does?

Old June 24th 06, 03:11 AM posted to alt.child-support

"teachrmama" wrote

"Gini" wrote in message

"teachrmama" wrote

Just because you may discover there is a legal loophole that will permit
child support to be collected twice, do you really feel it would be the
right thing to do? Do you want your children to treat their friends the
way you are planning to treat this man? Would you want your brother
treated that way? Your son?

==
;-) How about him, when she dumps him?
==

I don't think he thinks that will ever happen. Think he'll post back here
again when it does?

=
I hope so. Should be fun.

Old June 24th 06, 03:15 AM posted to alt.child-support

"teachrmama" wrote

"Gini" wrote in message

"teachrmama" wrote

You never did explain why you though it was terrible for the man to keep
half of the support he pays per month when he had the child for half
that month, BTW. Why was that so terrible, in your opinion?

==
Couldn't make the payments on their SUV?
==

chuckle Seriously, this one really gets me.

==
Me too. Nauseating. Really.
==

Old June 24th 06, 04:09 AM posted to alt.child-support

wrote in message
oups.com...

teachrmama wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

Gini wrote:
[...]

like to
[...]

pay from day 1 of the childs life. The only reason I want to go
through the courts is to have recourse when he shorts my wife on the
child support. I'm not looking to bankrupt the man. I just want him
to live up to his legal obligations and not shortchange us anytime he
finds an excuse.

Here's what has everyone up on their high horse including me now!

First you posted the child's father had the idea HE wanted to do his CS
payments through court order and you suggested you were concerned about how
he might be treated. Above you indicate how you want him to pay through
court order and indicate how YOU want him to be treated. Which is it?

If it's the latter, I say get out of the middle of any discussions between
your wife and the father of your step child. It's none of your business and
whatever occurs comes with the fact you married a woman with a previous
child fathered by another man.

Old June 24th 06, 04:29 AM posted to alt.child-support

I dont understand you people.....Let me hit up a few topics some of you
wrote. First, I dont care if he has his son the whole summer, he still
has to pay child support. Next, I know the CS is for the boy but when
he shorts us on the CS, that is that much less we have to spend on our
children. We dont have a choice when it comes to providing for the
boy. Why should his father have a choice? I dont want him to pay back
CS from day 1. I was just stating that this is what I heard will
happen. One person misunderstood my post and like lemmings, you all
followed their mistake. I am asking because I rather this be through
the court system so that he has no choice but to live up to his legal
and moral responsibility. I have no idea where you get that I want to
collect CS 2x. All i'm asking is for the man to pay what the state of
texas says is fair and you people come on here flaming the hell out of
me. For the record, my wife and I both work and provide for her son.
Between day care, sending him to a learning center for a learning
disability, and everyday activities, the amount his father pays is way
to low. Much lower than the state of texas generally says he should be
paying. I dont understand why some of you jackals rip me apart for
asking a question about how this would work. FOR THE LAST TIME, AND
HOPEFULLY SOME OF YOU WILL ACTUALLY READ THIS, I DO NOT WANT TO COLLECT
CS 2X. I WAS ASKING IF HE WOULD HAVE A CHOICE IF THE COURTS SAID HE
WOULD OWE EVEN IF HE DID PAY. I'M JUST TRYING TO GET FACTS. I'M NOT
TRYING TO BANKRUPT OR CHEAT THE GUY.
Bob Whiteside wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

teachrmama wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

Old June 24th 06, 04:43 AM posted to alt.child-support

and another note. lets look at the person you are defending. Someone
who left a woman when he got her pregnant. Offered absolutely no help
during the pregnancy and then finally decides to come back 6 months
into the boys life. He drops the child support off when it is
convenient for him. Sometimes he is weeks late in paying and sometimes
he doesnt even pay the amount agreed upon. He shortchanged the cs
because quote "I spent too much money purchasing a vehicle". He
picks up his son every other weekend and has makes no attempt to call
or see him at any other time. His son absolutely hates being with him.
You people rip me because I want this person to pay for his
obligation. And for the record teachrmama, it is him who cant pay for
the SUV this month so he shortchanges to CS to do so
wrote:
[...]
Bob Whiteside wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

teachrmama wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

Old June 24th 06, 04:56 AM posted to alt.child-support

wrote
and another note. lets look at the person you are defending. Someone
who left a woman when he got her pregnant.

==
He didn't "get her pregnant." She had unprotected sex when she was
ovulating.
Unless she was raped, that was her choice. She should have known better.
==
Offered absolutely no help
during the pregnancy

==
She chose to give birth. He had no choice.
==
and then finally decides to come back 6 months
into the boys life. He drops the child support off when it is
convenient for him.

==
This is none of your business.
==
Sometimes he is weeks late in paying and sometimes
he doesnt even pay the amount agreed upon. He shortchanged the cs
because quote "I spent too much money purchasing a vehicle". He
picks up his son every other weekend and has makes no attempt to call
or see him at any other time. His son absolutely hates being with him.

==
Why? Who turned him against his dad?
==