Sad about the way weaning is happening

Old August 21st 07, 09:48 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Mum of Two

Default Sad about the way weaning is happening

Miss Three has been having just the one feed in the morning for a while now.
Gradually her night feed got later and later until they merged into one (she
sleeps in my bed). I thought this one feed would just get shorter or
intermittent until one day I realised she hadn't had it in a while, but it's
not turned out to be as gentle as that.

The problem is that she seems to have forgotten how to latch and feed
properly. She latches to the nipple as though she's trying to suck it down
through a straw (even though she doesn't use straws). Obviously, it's very
painful, irritating and frustrating, and after a couple of times of telling
her to open her mouth wide and take in the whole breast, I usually end up
snatching my top back down and telling her it's over. This leads to crying
and displays of anger and basically a grumpy mum & preschooler (we're having
issues with toilet training anyway which doesn't help).

I don't mind if she wants to wean, as I'd figured in all likelihood she
would before the end of the year anyway, but I didn't want it to end this
way. She's at an age now where if she's anything like me she'll consciously
remember things, and I don't want her to remember weaning as being a fight.
Has anyone else had a similar problem?

--
Amy

Old August 22nd 07, 08:03 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Flowergirl

"Mum of Two" wrote in message
[...]

No advice sorry ... both my kids weaned me I think.

....but I haven't head from you in ages (maybe I've missed a few posts)...
how are *you*?
Last time I heard you had just sepparated from your hubby ..... and I think
I've worried about you on and off since then...
Amanda (in Oz)

Old August 22nd 07, 08:06 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Flowergirl

"Flowergirl" wrote in message
...but I haven't head from you in ages

OK obviously I meant *heard* from you in ages...

Old August 22nd 07, 02:17 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Mum of Two

"Flowergirl" wrote in message

"Flowergirl" wrote in message
...but I haven't head from you in ages

OK obviously I meant *heard* from you in ages...

Hehe, that's good.. anyone else and I'd have been worried :-P

Amy

Old August 22nd 07, 02:15 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Mum of Two

"Flowergirl" wrote in message

No advice sorry ... both my kids weaned me I think.

That's what I wanted to happen, I'm upset that I'm having to take an active
role to preserve my nipples :-(

...but I haven't head from you in ages (maybe I've missed a few posts)...
how are *you*?
Last time I heard you had just sepparated from your hubby ..... and I
think

Aw thanks Amanda! I have popped in from time to time but I left when my
newsserver started packing it in and not sending my posts (although it seems
to be working now).
As for my ex, I'm so glad he's not in my life anymore.. I can watch his
screw-ups from a distance now and be glad they don't involve me. I've been
studying electrical skills full time this year, but I haven't been able to
afford to heat the house, so with Miss Three in daycare we've spent most of
the year sick, and I broke my right hand... basically I'm going to have to
redo most of the year, but I'm hoping I can get an apprenticeship so that I
can just do night classes and things aren't so tight.
All in all though... pretty good! I know where I want to be, it's just going
to take me a bit longer to get there. How have you and yours been?

Amy

Old August 23rd 07, 02:06 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Flowergirl

"Mum of Two" wrote in message
"Flowergirl" wrote in message

No advice sorry ... both my kids weaned me I think.

That's what I wanted to happen, I'm upset that I'm having to take an

active
role to preserve my nipples :-(

H weaned at the end of Feb, and my milk hasn't quite dried up yet .... I
really miss bf. I don't think there is an easy way to wean.

[...]

Wow - it sounds like you are really on top of things (aside from the illness
and broken hand!). Hope you get that apprenticeship.

We are fine in general. Having a few issues with DH trying to help manage
his parents farm since his Dad died in Feb ... which is all entangled with
DH dealing with his own grief and having a few ummm .. "interesting" ways
he is trying to deal with it. He is dealing with it though, and I rarely
have to help him back on course .. its just all a bit sad and awful at
present. Kids are OK, but a bit sad when Daddy has to go away so many
weekends to help Nana with the cows.....
I know we'll be OK though.
I hope you come up with some ideas on the weaning ....
Amanda

Old August 23rd 07, 05:45 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Anne Rogers[_4_]

H weaned at the end of Feb, and my milk hasn't quite dried up yet .... I
really miss bf. I don't think there is an easy way to wean.

Both my kids weaned without difficulty - for them! First time, my milk
dried up due to pregnancy, when I realised this was why he was
frustrated at the breast, I just stopped offering and he was fine about
it, never asked for it, he was 17mths, he tried again once the baby was
born and decided it was too sweet. DD was down to one feed, then refused
me when she had a cold and despite me offering, never went back to it,
she was 18mths - that was 8mths ago and I still have milk, it's
frustrating as this keeps causing micro versions of plugged ducts, so
I'll have an uncomfortable lump, but not anything I can do about it. I'm
finding not nursing DD as a toddler much more difficult than with DS, he
was a tricky baby, but really quite good as a toddler, she was the other
way round and I could really use nursing as part of managing some of her
behaviour.

Cheers
Anne

Old August 26th 07, 05:14 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Flowergirl

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message
news

H weaned at the end of Feb, and my milk hasn't quite dried up yet .... I
really miss bf. I don't think there is an easy way to wean.

Both my kids weaned without difficulty - for them! First time, my milk
dried up due to pregnancy, when I realised this was why he was
frustrated at the breast, I just stopped offering and he was fine about
it, never asked for it, he was 17mths, he tried again once the baby was
born and decided it was too sweet.

Same here ... my milk turned to colostrum seemingly overnight and DD weaned
very quickly at 18 mo.

DD was down to one feed, then refused
me when she had a cold and despite me offering, never went back to it,
she was 18mths - that was 8mths ago and I still have milk, it's
frustrating as this keeps causing micro versions of plugged ducts, so
I'll have an uncomfortable lump, but not anything I can do about it. I'm
finding not nursing DD as a toddler much more difficult than with DS, he
was a tricky baby, but really quite good as a toddler, she was the other
way round and I could really use nursing as part of managing some of her
behaviour.

I agree - I'm sure the bf calmed both DS and I down on many an occasion. He
weaned me slowly though, and I never suffered from any breastfeeding
problems (no cracked nipples, mastitis, plugged ducts etc) so lucky for me
the small supply I still have has caused no problems.
I do miss bf though.

Old August 24th 07, 12:27 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Mum of Two

Wow - it sounds like you are really on top of things (aside from the
illness
and broken hand!). Hope you get that apprenticeship.

Heh, well, it does tend to sound that way, but I'm really just surviving.
I'm seriously considering moving out of the province to the capital, which
is a big thing since I've been here all my life. There's not much of an
incentive to stay now my ex and his parents have moved away, and I'm leaning
a bit much on my own family which isn't helping our relationship. The idea
of more job opportunities and the chance to make some real, in-the-flesh
friends appeals ;-) I really have nothing holding me here now except my
folks, and my mum's insistence that I should make friends within 'mums'
groups' is not helping. I think she sees it as selfish as DD's family has
already been split, and it is really, but I'm not happy here and it's
reflecting in my parenting. My sister is doing her masters in Wellington
next year and I seriously considered moving into her student flat - only I
know I could never get everything up the stairs! 1/4 life crisis? Maybe.

We are fine in general. Having a few issues with DH trying to help manage
his parents farm since his Dad died in Feb ... which is all entangled with
DH dealing with his own grief and having a few ummm .. "interesting" ways
he is trying to deal with it. He is dealing with it though, and I rarely
have to help him back on course .. its just all a bit sad and awful at
present. Kids are OK, but a bit sad when Daddy has to go away so many
weekends to help Nana with the cows.....

Oh that's tough :-( We've lost grandparents in the last couple of years but
not parents, touch wood. Managing a farm is a big job at the best of times.
Do you think he's finding it cathartic? Men often look for something
'practical' to do to cope, rather than facing the issues directly. It must
be hard for the kids losing a grandparent and then losing time with their
father as well. It's all still so fresh.. it probably took my mum a couple
of years for her mother's death just to sink in, and we still have our
moments. I hope things get easier for you all soon.
Amy

Old August 26th 07, 05:25 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Flowergirl

"Mum of Two" wrote in message
[...]

I imagine its no picnic ... but you still seem ... umm ... "brighter" than
the last time I heard from you.
I actually have made several good friends from playgroup and from the kindy
K goes to. Mind you, there are quite a few who I'll never have anything in
common with. Perhaps your horizons will seem bigger in Wellington... (and
with some support with your sister there). I guess its a difficult decision
to make.

[...]

WE're OK .... although there have been times this year when I could have
throttled DH .... but luckily for me I've got a few friends who've been
through the same situation with their DHs so I get that its all part of the
grieving process and I know that it will take time.
...and yes - they are a practical bunch of boys, but I also think a bit of
talking wouldn't go astray either.
One of the things I find the hardest to deal with is the kids.
Unfortunately, it was a graveside service and while DD understands what
happened, DS (just turned 3) thinks that G'dad is only dead because we put
him in a hole. He quite regularly tells us that's he's going to get a rope
and rescue G'dad

It's already happening G Child Support 6 January 18th 07 06:09 AM
It's already happening DB Child Support 4 January 18th 07 02:41 AM
so, what's been happening? Anne Rogers Pregnancy 10 August 8th 05 08:37 PM
Oh no, this can't be happening! Me Child Support 0 December 25th 03 02:17 PM
What's happening?!!! Andrea Pregnancy 15 November 11th 03 01:43 AM