feeding all the time questions

Old July 9th 03, 03:13 PM

Default feeding all the time questions

when are the typical growth spurts?
Edith

"KC" wrote in message
om...
It sounds like a growth spurt. We just did our 6 week growth spurt
the last few days. Our 3 week growth spurt was like that too. The
one thing I do different is that I keep swapping breasts rather than
nursing baby for 45 minutes per breast. It keeps the let downs coming
quicker for me. I read the extra feedings associated with a growth
spurt last from 1 to 7 days.

KC

(teapot) wrote in message

om...
My 3 week old seems to be really hungry. When he is not asleep or
screaming 'cos he has wet his nappy he is feeding. Sometimes its 45
minutes on each side, sometimes its a short drink. This is making my
nipples sore cos of the messing around before he latches on and also
stopping me from doing anything other than feed him or sleep when he
does.

I have read that this could be growth spurt feeding, how long should I
expect it to last? Its been like this for a few days now.

Also, as soon as he screams I offer him a breast after checking things
like heat, nappy wind, is that the right thing to do?

teapot
mum to Toffee 8th June 03

Old July 9th 03, 06:20 PM
KC

I have read 3 weeks, 6 weeks and 3 months. I can't recall if there
are more than that.

KC

Old July 9th 03, 09:00 PM
Naomi Pardue

I have read 3 weeks, 6 weeks and 3 months. I can't recall if there
are more than that.

Nope, it all settles down from there. Thank goodness...

Coulda fooled me. Shaina still has growth spurts! She's 11, and every so
often I'll note that she's suddenly eating us out of house and home. That's my
clue to stand her against the door jamb where we mark her height, and, sure
enough, she's usually grown another inch or two.

Naomi
CAPPA Certified Lactation Educator

reply.)
Old July 9th 03, 09:06 PM
Dawn Lawson

Naomi Pardue wrote:

I have read 3 weeks, 6 weeks and 3 months. I can't recall if there
are more than that.

Nope, it all settles down from there. Thank goodness...

Coulda fooled me. Shaina still has growth spurts! She's 11, and every so
often I'll note that she's suddenly eating us out of house and home. That's my
clue to stand her against the door jamb where we mark her height, and, sure
enough, she's usually grown another inch or two.

Yeah, but you're probably not still nursing her, so she can get to the fridge on
her own if she needs to! ;-)

Dawn, who could tell if my family was going out for a meal because mom would make
sandwiches at 3pm to fill us up a bit so we wouldn't embarrass her. ;-) (I have
little stretch marks on my knees and hips from growing so fast as a kid my skin
couldn't keep up.)

Old July 9th 03, 09:20 PM
Astromum

Naomi Pardue wrote:
I have read 3 weeks, 6 weeks and 3 months. I can't recall if there
are more than that.

Nope, it all settles down from there. Thank goodness...

Coulda fooled me. Shaina still has growth spurts! She's 11, and every so
often I'll note that she's suddenly eating us out of house and home. That's my
clue to stand her against the door jamb where we mark her height, and, sure
enough, she's usually grown another inch or two.

Ah, I wouldn't know, we haven't gotten that far yet. But in a way you're
right. DS clearly has periods of more eating and growing, but they are
much more relaxed than the spurts he made in the early days. I suppose
growth in general is something that occurs in bursts, I recall this even
from my pregnancy...

--
-- Ilse
mom to Olaf (07/15/2002)

Old July 9th 03, 11:29 PM

"Naomi Pardue" wrote in message
I have read 3 weeks, 6 weeks and 3 months. I can't recall if there
are more than that.

Nope, it all settles down from there. Thank goodness...

Coulda fooled me. Shaina still has growth spurts! She's 11, and every so
often I'll note that she's suddenly eating us out of house and home.

That's my
clue to stand her against the door jamb where we mark her height, and,

sure
enough, she's usually grown another inch or two.

Naomi
CAPPA Certified Lactation Educator

(either remove spamblock or change address to to

e-mail
reply.)

I almost didn't recognize my 15.5 yo DS after not seeing him for 2 months.
he has stretched! much taller and skinnier!

I meant while they were nursing
Edith

Old July 10th 03, 03:37 AM
Phoebe & Allyson

Naomi Pardue wrote:

Coulda fooled me. Shaina still has growth spurts! She's 11,

Yeah, but you're probably not still nursing her, so she can get to the fridge
on her own if she needs to! ;-)

What??? Y'mean I'm supposed to have weaned by now? Why didn't somebody tell me?

Well, you know, your milk loses all its nutrition the day
your child turns 10, and then it starts sucking nutrients
out of the kid.

Phoebe

Old July 10th 03, 03:54 AM
Naomi Pardue

What??? Y'mean I'm supposed to have weaned by now? Why didn't somebody tell
me?

Well, you know, your milk loses all its nutrition the day
your child turns 10, and then it starts sucking nutrients

out of the kid.

Well... that would explain why she's so skinny.