Big baby logistics

Old December 21st 03, 09:55 PM
Cheryl S.

Default Big baby logistics

Jaden is growing like a weed and I'm going to have to stop using the
infant carseat/carrier this week. I haven't switched to the convertible
carseat yet mainly because I can't figure out how to do a couple of
things without the carrier, like grocery shopping. He's only three
months old, and no where near being able to sit up, so I can't sit him
in the cart but he's awfully heavy for me to carry around the whole
time. Any other ideas? Would it be awful of me to line the seating
area of the cart with a receiving blanket and lay him down in it? I
think it is deep enough that he can't roll out and with the blanket
lining it, I don't think he could slip out of a leg hole.

Also I had one of those carseat covers that go over the whole seat, to
keep him warm, and don't have a winter outer garment he can wear instead
of using that. Is a regular coat, hat and mittens enough to keep such a
young baby warm? Or should I get a snowsuit type of thing? Anyone know
of something warm but not too bulky for the carseat straps?
--
Cheryl S.
Mom to Julie, 2 yr., 8 mo.

Cleaning the house while your children are small is like
shoveling the sidewalk while it's still snowing.

Old December 21st 03, 10:15 PM
Hillary Israeli

In ,
Cheryl S. wrote:

*Jaden is growing like a weed and I'm going to have to stop using the
*infant carseat/carrier this week. I haven't switched to the convertible
*carseat yet mainly because I can't figure out how to do a couple of
*things without the carrier, like grocery shopping. He's only three
*months old, and no where near being able to sit up, so I can't sit him
*in the cart but he's awfully heavy for me to carry around the whole
*time. Any other ideas? Would it be awful of me to line the seating

I carried my baby in a sling while my toddler sat in the shopping cart.
FWIW. I did this until she was 8 or 9 mos old. I still do it occasionally
(she's about 14 mos) but she cries to get down and walk now. Sigh.

Old December 21st 03, 10:23 PM
Cheryl S.

"Hillary Israeli" wrote in message
I carried my baby in a sling while my toddler sat in
the shopping cart. FWIW. I did this until she was
8 or 9 mos old. I still do it occasionally (she's about
14 mos) but she cries to get down and walk now. Sigh.

What did you do from the time she was 8 or 9 months old? He's almost as
heavy already, as Julie was at that age.

Old December 21st 03, 10:29 PM
Marnie

"Cheryl S." wrote in message
Jaden is growing like a weed and I'm going to have to stop using the
infant carseat/carrier this week. I haven't switched to the convertible
carseat yet mainly because I can't figure out how to do a couple of
things without the carrier, like grocery shopping.

If you accustomed to using the caresat/carrier in the grocery store, just
throw it in the trunk of your car and use it on the cart when you shop.

Or should I get a snowsuit type of thing? Anyone know
of something warm but not too bulky for the carseat straps?

We had a fleece bunting type of thing with a hood. As long as we weren't
going to be out for a long time, it was both thin enough to be safe in the
carseat and warm enough for quick trips in a Chicago winter.
--
Marnie

Old December 21st 03, 10:51 PM
H Schinske

Cheryl S. wrote:

He's only three
months old, and no where near being able to sit up, so I can't sit him
in the cart but he's awfully heavy for me to carry around the whole
time.

Where I live, most stores with grocery carts have a few carts with infant seats
already on them (plain gray plastic things). You might call around and ask if
the stores can provide them.

I'd get a snowsuit thing -- they don't have to be that expensive, even new, and
as most babies use the smaller sizes for quite a short time (either because it
isn't the right season very long, or because they grow out of them) they are
often available secondhand in excellent condition.

How much shopping do you typically do at one time? I used to take the double
stroller and just put the groceries underneath, not bother with a cart at all,
but then I was shopping every couple of days. Another option is to schedule big
shopping trips at night without the kids, and go with both children only when
you are just getting a few things. (I hate this kind of solution myself,
because I am so bad at planning, but it works well for some people.)

--Helen
Old December 21st 03, 11:16 PM
Cheryl S.

"H Schinske" wrote in message
Where I live, most stores with grocery carts have a
few carts with infant seats already on them (plain gray
plastic things). You might call around and ask if
the stores can provide them.

We have those too, but then there's nowhere for Julie to sit. If I shop
during the weekend or in the evening though, I could leave her home and
go with just him. I'm not sure how well he'd fit in one but can try it.

I'd get a snowsuit thing -- they don't have to be that
expensive, even new, and as most babies use the smaller
sizes for quite a short time (either because it isn't the right
season very long, or because they grow out of them) they
are often available secondhand in excellent condition.

The secondhand stores are already picked over for winter outerwear. I
actually did have a sack-type thing with a slit for the carseat crotch
strap I bought at a rummage sale last spring, but he's too big for it!
I don't know where to get a thing like that new. I've actually just
bought this: http://tinyurl.com/yvyla even though it's fairly $$. At
least we haven't spent much on anything else so far, since we already
had a lot of stuff from Julie.

How much shopping do you typically do at one time? I used
to take the double stroller and just put the groceries underneath,
not bother with a cart at all, but then I was shopping every
couple of days.

I do a big shop on Mondays, and a quick trip to a different store on
Thursday just for fish (like to get that fresh) and whatever one or two
things I forgot or ran out of. I could split it more evenly and do two
medium size trips rather than one large and one small, and maybe the
double stroller would work for that. Thanks for that idea.

Old December 21st 03, 11:31 PM
Beth Kevles

Hi -

I think a sling is a great suggestion. I carried my younger son in it
until he was about 4 1/2. (Less and less as time went by, of course,
because he wanted to get down and walk.) BUt a sling is good for a VERY
long time. I think the weight limit is around 65 pounds on the one I
had, and the real limit is YOUR strength and the strength of the fabric
(and knot mechanism).

The sling is good for your baby in other ways, as well. It's great for
the vestibular sense (balance, speed and where you're located in space),
and for letting your baby feel close to you. And it's good for YOU,
too, since it helps get your muscles back in shape.

On the other hand, in a month or two you can put your infant in the seat
of the cart. He doesn't have to be sitting independently for that. You
may want to invest in one of those liners that will make flopping
sideways less uncomfortable, though.

I hope these suggestions help,
--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.
Old December 21st 03, 11:36 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Cheryl S. wrote:

Jaden is growing like a weed and I'm going to have to stop using the
infant carseat/carrier this week. I haven't switched to the convertible
carseat yet mainly because I can't figure out how to do a couple of
things without the carrier, like grocery shopping. He's only three
months old, and no where near being able to sit up, so I can't sit him
in the cart but he's awfully heavy for me to carry around the whole
time. Any other ideas? Would it be awful of me to line the seating
area of the cart with a receiving blanket and lay him down in it? I
think it is deep enough that he can't roll out and with the blanket
lining it, I don't think he could slip out of a leg hole.

Doesn't your grocery store have those carts with the
baby seats? They're probably yucky, but I just cover the
seat with a blanket and off we go. Failing that, I put
the baby in a sling or other carrier on my person.

Also I had one of those carseat covers that go over the whole seat, to
keep him warm, and don't have a winter outer garment he can wear instead
of using that. Is a regular coat, hat and mittens enough to keep such a
young baby warm? Or should I get a snowsuit type of thing? Anyone know
of something warm but not too bulky for the carseat straps?

I think it really depends on what you're looking for.
Personally, I think just about anything warm enough to be
outside for a long time in is probably too bulky for the
carseat. However, most of the time you're not going to be
outside for long at all. I have a fleece snowsuit-like
thing that is quite trim, and I will use that in the
carseat sometimes. Other times I'll just wrap her in a
blanket between the house and the car and put her in
the carseat with just her regular clothes on (and a
blanket over the top, which she'll soon kick off, but
not before the heater kicks in ;-)

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old December 21st 03, 11:39 PM
Cheryl S.

"Ericka Kammerer" wrote in message
Doesn't your grocery store have those carts with the
baby seats? They're probably yucky, but I just cover the
seat with a blanket and off we go. Failing that, I put
the baby in a sling or other carrier on my person.

How much does she weigh now? He outgrew the Baby Bjorn (it's too tight
around his middle) that I used to use while shopping, about a month ago,
and he was already getting too heavy to carry for the whole trip then.
Then, I had to switch grocery stores to one with carts that both his
carrier and Julie would fit into. The carts with the baby seat have no
where for another child to sit. Leaving Julie free to roam while
grocery shopping... shudder. ;-)

Other times I'll just wrap her in a
blanket between the house and the car and put her in
the carseat with just her regular clothes on (and a
blanket over the top, which she'll soon kick off, but
not before the heater kicks in ;-)

It must be warmer there than here (?). ;-) I did some on-line shopping
after my post and did find something that looks good. I hope it works
well when it actually gets here.

Old December 21st 03, 11:42 PM
Hillary Israeli

*
*What did you do from the time she was 8 or 9 months old? He's almost as
*heavy already, as Julie was at that age.

I stick them both into the front of one of those fire engine shopping
carts

mom and baby (10 mos) both on Zithromax, any chance to breastfeed? C Du General 36 December 24th 03 07:21 PM
Coping w/o a highchair, w/hyper baby Nevermind General 18 December 16th 03 02:26 AM
RECALL: Baby Walkers Truffles General 7 September 13th 03 03:35 AM
Double stroller half-life and logistics Laurie General 10 September 12th 03 07:14 AM
bedtime routine for 3rd baby Nevermind General 4 August 1st 03 12:18 AM