Car seats and winter coats

Old December 24th 03, 10:24 PM
Denise

Default Car seats and winter coats

We have a total of about 8 car seats between 2 cars and the babysitter's
car. Some have straps that adjustable once the child is already in them,
most do not. My problem is compensating for winter coats with the bigger
toddler seats. They don't have adjustable straps once the children are in
them, and its a pain in the bum to have to adjust the straps each time we go
somewhere. Is there a way around this without buying new seats? Do other
people have this problem?

Old December 25th 03, 08:17 AM
toypup

"Denise" wrote in message
We have a total of about 8 car seats between 2 cars and the babysitter's
car. Some have straps that adjustable once the child is already in them,
most do not. My problem is compensating for winter coats with the bigger
toddler seats. They don't have adjustable straps once the children are in
them, and its a pain in the bum to have to adjust the straps each time we

go
somewhere. Is there a way around this without buying new seats? Do other
people have this problem?

They shouldn't be getting in their carseats with their winter coats on.

Old December 25th 03, 08:23 AM
Denise

"toypup" wrote in message

"Denise" wrote in message
We have a total of about 8 car seats between 2 cars and the babysitter's
car. Some have straps that adjustable once the child is already in

them,
most do not. My problem is compensating for winter coats with the

bigger
toddler seats. They don't have adjustable straps once the children are

in
them, and its a pain in the bum to have to adjust the straps each time

we
go
somewhere. Is there a way around this without buying new seats? Do

other
people have this problem?

They shouldn't be getting in their carseats with their winter coats on.

Um... So I bundle them up to go outside when its 30 degrees, have them
undress in the car, and then redress 3 toddlers when we get to a grocery
store? I don't think that's going to work.

Old December 25th 03, 10:38 AM
dragonlady

In article V2xGb.643835$HS4.4652297@attbi_s01,
"toypup" wrote:

"Denise" wrote in message
We have a total of about 8 car seats between 2 cars and the babysitter's
car. Some have straps that adjustable once the child is already in them,
most do not. My problem is compensating for winter coats with the bigger
toddler seats. They don't have adjustable straps once the children are in
them, and its a pain in the bum to have to adjust the straps each time we

go
somewhere. Is there a way around this without buying new seats? Do other
people have this problem?

They shouldn't be getting in their carseats with their winter coats on.

That's just silly. If you live somewhere where the cold is most
sincere, it is not possible to NOT have kids in winter coats when they
get in the car -- and if they can't figure out a way to make car seats
safe with that, then they need to think harder.

You can't get a child from the house to the car, or the car into a
store, even if it's just a few feet, when it is below about 20 degrees
(F) -- never mind when it's 30 below! (Below that, I just tried to not
have to leave the house -- it's just too numbing for me.) You can't warm
up the car while you leave a child in the house alone to warm up the car
enough for them to take their coat off when they get into the car, and
even if you have a heated garage to take care of that when you are at
home (a luxery I've never experienced) you'd still have to find a way to
warm up the car when you were leaving the store or the doctor's office
or whatever -- and the idea of trying to manipulate several kids in ages
from infancy to early elementary school out of winter coats while INSIDE
the car is just mind boggling. (and if it's cold enough so you have
them in snow suits, it means taking their boots off, too . . .)

No, telling people their kids shouldn't be in winter coats is just not
anything close ot a practical solution to this.

meh
glad to be living in California now -- but remembering northern
Minnesota and layers of clothing

Old December 25th 03, 01:11 PM
Banty

In article , Denise says...

"Denise" wrote in message
[...]

If it's grocery shopping you don't have to dress them up like Eskimos.

My son's infant and toddler years were spent in northern Vermont and here in
upstate New York. One of the Polatrec jackets worked fine for errands.

Banty

Old December 25th 03, 11:26 PM
Liz

"toypup" wrote:

"Denise" wrote in message
[...]

It might not be practical to strip them off but I've certainly seen it
written in our car seat documantation for children not to be strapped into
the car seats wearing heavy clothes. I'm pretty sure it's a safety thing as
they can either be suffocated by the straps being too tight or they can slip
out of the straps in an accident. Why not warm the car up first before
racing them into it or put their coats over them once they are strapped in
until the car is warm. Or have some special car blankets handy. Judging by
the way some kids can wriggle about in a car the older one should be able to
put coats on before leaving the car.

It might just need a little further thought about practical logistics and
coming up with a plan based on the ages of your kids.

Liz

Old December 25th 03, 11:42 PM
toypup

"Denise" wrote in message
[...]

I don't know. That's just what the carseat makers say in their instructions
for proper usage. You'd have to ask them about it. It's not safe. I
wouldn't know how to make it safe. If you accept the risk, it wouldn't
bother me. I'm just telling you what the manufacturers say.

Old December 25th 03, 11:59 PM
Cheryl S.

"toypup" wrote in message

"Denise" wrote in message

"toypup" wrote in message
They shouldn't be getting in their carseats with their
winter coats on.

Um... So I bundle them up to go outside when its 30
degrees, have them undress in the car, and then redress
3 toddlers when we get to a grocery store? I don't think
that's going to work.

I don't know. That's just what the carseat makers say in their
instructions for proper usage. You'd have to ask them about it.
It's not safe. I wouldn't know how to make it safe. If you
accept the risk, it wouldn't bother me. I'm just telling you what
the manufacturers say.

Have they done tests with crash test dummies wearing coats in the
carseat that prove it is unsafe, or are the manufacturers just CT(heir)A
and saying it's not safe because they have not done such tests and
therefore don't know if it is safe? There is quite a difference between
those two situations, IMO.
--
Cheryl S.
Mom to Julie, 2 yr., 9 mo.

Cleaning the house while your children are small is like
shoveling the sidewalk while it's still snowing.

Old December 26th 03, 12:18 AM
toypup

"Denise" wrote in message

"toypup" wrote in message
[...]

Don't know. We don't have your problem here. It doesn't get that cold, so
I never have to worry. If I did have to worry, then maybe I'd look into it.
The heavy coat thing is just something I've heard repeated, it stuck.

Old December 26th 03, 12:21 AM
toypup

"toypup" wrote in message

"Denise" wrote in message

"toypup" wrote in message
[...]

I meant to say it's been repeated so often, it stuck.