Art Supplies for 2.5 year old

Old August 7th 03, 06:58 PM
GoofeeGyrl

Default Art Supplies for 2.5 year old

Baby #2 is due exactly one month today, and I am trying to stock up on some
things for Sophie (29 months in a couple of days) to have to (possibly) keep
her occupied in the first weeks when I don't have as much time to play with
her.

Mainly, I am wondering about art supplies that she can use. So far we have the
basics, the washable crayons, markers, watercolors, along with plenty of
coloring books, paper, stickers, and some glue sticks. Right now, I just give
her some various items and let her use them however she likes.

Any suggestions on what items I can add to the mix?

Thanks in advance
Linda
Mommy to Sophie, 2 years
and girl #2, due Sept 7th
Old August 7th 03, 07:06 PM
Ali's Daddie

"GoofeeGyrl" wrote in message

| Mainly, I am wondering about art supplies that she can use. So far we
have the
| basics, the washable crayons, markers, watercolors, along with plenty of
| coloring books, paper, stickers, and some glue sticks. Right now, I just
give
| her some various items and let her use them however she likes.
|
| Any suggestions on what items I can add to the mix?

Play doh!

My niece is a little older. But She has been playing with it since she was
about 2. Non toxic. And there are all the extra things you can get to go
with it. Like the "pizza factory" thingy. And lots of other things.

Since she will most likely mix the colors, and name brand is kinda
expensive. I would suggest the generic play doh. We pay 1.50 (or so) for a
set of 6 large containers at wal mart.

worth a try :-D

--
LES!

Daddie to Alegra Lee. May 25th 2003!
"Daddie's Little Diva"

before you reply to me via email, please remove your hat
YourHatDaddie at bonbon.net

Old August 7th 03, 07:31 PM
Cheryl S.

GoofeeGyrl wrote in message
So far we have the basics, the washable crayons, markers,
watercolors, along with plenty of coloring books, paper,
stickers, and some glue sticks. Right now, I just give
her some various items and let her use them however she likes.

Any suggestions on what items I can add to the mix?

Chalk? For outside, or on a chalkboard.

Not exactly an art supply, but a spill-proof container of bubbles?

Julie has been having a great time recently with window clings. I've
found they're a little safer than stickers when supervision is less than
100%. :-) There are also re-usable sticker books. Julie has a
Winnie-the-Pooh one that she loves and asks for often. The stickers
come off and re-stick, inside the book, but don't stick very well on
other things, which is a Good Thing.

I sure will be watching for more ideas too!
--
Cheryl S.
Mom to Julie, 2 yr., 4 mo.

Cleaning the house while your children are small is like
shoveling the sidewalk while it's still snowing.

Old August 7th 03, 07:48 PM
Welches

GoofeeGyrl wrote in message
Baby #2 is due exactly one month today, and I am trying to stock up on

some
things for Sophie (29 months in a couple of days) to have to (possibly)

keep
her occupied in the first weeks when I don't have as much time to play

with
her.

Mainly, I am wondering about art supplies that she can use. So far we

have the
basics, the washable crayons, markers, watercolors, along with plenty of
coloring books, paper, stickers, and some glue sticks. Right now, I just

give
her some various items and let her use them however she likes.

Any suggestions on what items I can add to the mix?

Scissors and old catalogues. I've just started that with dd (33 months).
Combined with glue and paper, and tissue paper (cut into small squares), dd
could play all day. Sellotape can be fun too! Cardboard boxes to
colour/glue. She's just started using stencils, but is still trying those.
Magic painting.
Other thoughts that dd plays well on her own with a
Jigsaw puzzles.
Beads to thread. Or even old buttons.
Sewing cards.
Fuzzy felt.
Photo albums of people she knows.
Fridge magnets.
Cups and water to pour/water plants.
Debbie

Old August 7th 03, 08:53 PM
GoofeeGyrl

Play doh!
worth a try :-D

--
LES!

Thanks--guess I should have put that in the OP, she LOVES her playdoh!

Linda

Old August 7th 03, 08:55 PM
GoofeeGyrl

Beads to thread. Or even old buttons

This is one great idea, thanks. I saw some bead and yarn thing at the store
when she was just turning two and knew she was not ready then, I'll have to
check it out now.

Thanks
Linda
Mommy to Sophie, 2 years
and girl #2, due Sept 7th
Old August 7th 03, 08:59 PM
GoofeeGyrl

Julie has been having a great time recently with window clings.

There are also re-usable sticker books.

I sure will be watching for more ideas too!
--
Cheryl S.
Mom to Julie, 2 yr., 4 mo.
And a boy, EDD 4.Sept

Thanks, Cheryl. I will certainly get some window clings. Nice to see your
post, hope you are feeling well!

Linda
Mommy to Sophie, 2 years
and girl #2, due Sept 7th

Old August 7th 03, 10:28 PM
Marie

Not an art supply, but...

My brother was 2 when I was born and an aunt gave him a baby doll with
accesories--diapers, bottles, little bathtub, etc. While my mom was taking
care of me, my bro was beside her, mirroring everything she did with "his
baby." Mom still swears it was the greatest gift either of them got because
it allowed her and bro to have oodles of time together while she still took
care of me.

FWIW.

Marie

Old August 7th 03, 10:42 PM
H Schinske

[...]

Um, if you're talking mom with small baby (hence distractable), scissors for
toddler are NOT usually a good idea!!! Nor yet glue.

What would have happened to me in that situation is that I would have gotten
stuck changing an ultra-poopy diaper right when the kid decided to try using
the scissors to scratch the floor with, or glue the curtains to the window, or
spread glue all over the couch or down the heat register.

I'm leaving out the usual dangers of cutting one's own hair, clothing, etc., as
modern toddler scissors do guard against that to some extent.

--Helen
Old August 7th 03, 11:08 PM
GoofeeGyrl

My brother was 2 when I was born and an aunt gave him a baby doll with
accesories--diapers, bottles, little bathtub, etc. While my mom was taking
care of me, my bro was beside her, mirroring everything she did with "his
baby." Mom still swears it was the greatest gift either of them got because
it allowed her and bro to have oodles of time together while she still took
care of me.
FWIW.

Marie

We just got DD a doll this past weekend. We were setting up the baby's
sleeping quarters in our room, moving the glider to a more conventient spot for
nursing (up until then it was in DD's room), putting the double stroller
together, etc. She was suddenly very excited to talking about her "sister
baby" who will be joining us in a few weeks so we thought it would be a good
time.

Thanks for the story, I hope DD takes to hers well!

Linda
Mommy to Sophie, 2 years
and girl #2, due Sept 7th