Why I hate TV births

Old May 16th 05, 04:56 AM
Phoebe & Allyson

Default Why I hate TV births

Space for "The L Word" Spoiler...

So Tina is in labor. When I saw that in the show description, I said to
Allyson "I bet you a nickel she has a C-section." And she's planned a home
birth (with OB permission, no less, which I don't know whether to be pleased
or aggravated about), and they have the birth tub and a midwife and
everything. I stood by my belief that a C-section was in the works. Her
water broke early in the evening (big gush of clear fluid), and contractions
(bend you over moaning painful contractions) started immediately.

Two scenes later, she's in the tub, and the midwife suggests Bette "reach
down there and see if you can feel anything." And she feels something, so
the midwife checks, and says "[The baby]'s right there." Which to me says
crowning.

Cut to the next scene: Tina is laboring on the bed (modestly covered from
neck to ankle by a sheet! Presumably not for TV purposes, since this show
features rampant gratuitous full frontal nudity), and rolls to her side,
exposing an icky patch on the bed. It's meconium, which the midwife says is
a sign the baby is in distress, and they need to transport to the hospital
immediately. They call an ambulance.

And she winds up with a C-section. Presumably not too much of an emergency
C-section, since she's got epidural anesthesia. And the baby cried almost
immediately (and no one freaked out, which to me says no risk of meconium
aspiration) and was in the room they'd been assigned, being passed around to
a million visitors, before Tina was even out of recovery.

Ack. Why do I even watch TV births. It's like banging my head against the
wall, but more aggravating.

Phoebe
--
yahoo address is unread; substitute gmail

Old May 16th 05, 05:57 AM
Mamma Mia

i was just watching some bewitched episdoes...no mention of breastfeeding?
i find that strange!

the mad about you birth wasnt too bad!

chris

Old May 16th 05, 09:01 PM
Amy

Oh, then this is really going to fry your cookies...

NBC is apparently doing a medical show set in a fertility clinic this
fall, according to:

http://www.cbc.ca/story/arts/nationa...lTV050516.html

Shall we make it a weekly date, this fall, to watch and pick apart each
episode? I mean, if they can't even get a fairly typical birth right,
how likely is it that they're going to get something as complex as
fertility treatment right?

The idea that they're exploiting that sort of pain, something that so
many couples have struggled to cope with, just sickens me. I want
Friends back, damnit!

Amy
EDD 8/17/05

Old May 16th 05, 09:04 PM
Todd Gastaldo

in article , Amy at
wrote on 5/16/05 1:01 PM:

Oh, then this is really going to fry your cookies...

NBC is apparently doing a medical show set in a fertility clinic this
fall, according to:

http://www.cbc.ca/story/arts/nationa...lTV050516.html

Shall we make it a weekly date, this fall, to watch and pick apart each
episode? I mean, if they can't even get a fairly typical birth right,
how likely is it that they're going to get something as complex as
fertility treatment right?

The idea that they're exploiting that sort of pain, something that so
many couples have struggled to cope with, just sickens me. I want
Friends back, damnit!

Amy
EDD 8/17/05

Amy,

I never stopped being your Friend. : )

Todd

Old May 16th 05, 10:22 PM
medgirl

"Phoebe & Allyson" wrote in message
Space for "The L Word" Spoiler...

Two scenes later, she's in the tub, and the midwife suggests Bette "reach
down there and see if you can feel anything." And she feels something, so
the midwife checks, and says "[The baby]'s right there." Which to me says
crowning.

(snip)

And she winds up with a C-section. Presumably not too much of an
emergency C-section, since she's got epidural anesthesia. And the baby
cried almost immediately (and no one freaked out, which to me says no risk
of meconium aspiration) and was in the room they'd been assigned, being
passed around to a million visitors, before Tina was even out of recovery.

What show was this? That would be a pretty unusual scenario, for the baby
to be crowning and then to have a C-section.

Sarah

Old May 16th 05, 11:37 PM
Phoebe & Allyson

medgirl wrote:

"Phoebe & Allyson" wrote in message

Space for "The L Word" Spoiler...

What show was this? That would be a pretty unusual scenario, for the baby
to be crowning and then to have a C-section.

The L Word, on Showtime. That was my point exactly - the baby was
apparently crowning, then time passed and there was meconium on the
sheet under mom, then significantly more time passed and she had a
C-section. Which just doesn't happen, as I understand it.

An alternative explanation would be that the midwife suggested a
layperson perform an ungloved internal exam on a woman whose water had
broken while she was in the birth tub, then the midwife did her own
(gloved) internal because the layperson felt something. Which would
boggle me even more than the first scenario. But it would explain why
there was no pushing during any of the scenes.

Phoebe

Old May 16th 05, 11:39 PM
Phoebe & Allyson

Amy wrote:

Shall we make it a weekly date, this fall, to watch and pick apart each
episode? I mean, if they can't even get a fairly typical birth right,
how likely is it that they're going to get something as complex as
fertility treatment right?

LOL and ack! I can just see the horrible, horrible mistakes.

Phoebe

Old May 17th 05, 03:27 PM
alath

Ack. Why do I even watch TV births. It's like banging my head

against the
wall, but more aggravating.

TV grossly misrepresents everything it shows. It's the nature of the
beast. In this instance, they were obviously trying to drum up some
drama. Everything going well and delivering normally is not dramatic
enough for the TV mentality.

"Teen births decline, report shows" Mike Pregnancy 0 November 24th 04 06:31 PM
Sophie's choice: Surgical births ONLY Todd Gastaldo Pregnancy 7 October 27th 04 02:44 AM
Sad story Plissken Pregnancy 181 July 20th 04 12:14 AM
Why my baby? Attorneys trolling bad births - GOOD...UBPN silence - BAD... Todd Gastaldo Pregnancy 0 March 14th 04 11:13 PM
Midwives & Home birth vs. an OB & hospital ? LSU Grad of '89 Pregnancy 54 October 12th 03 09:26 PM