Vending Machines in schools

Old July 9th 03, 05:21 AM
P. Tierney

Default Vending Machines in schools

"Donna Metler" wrote:

I wouldn't have complained, but as a heavy Coca-Cola drinker, I
would've had to make a *serious* adjustment once the no-soft drinks
rule went into effect. Luckily, I have no such rules at my house.
However, since "Coke" was about the 6th word that my child was
able to say with regular proficiency, I may have a different set
of problems down the road. We'll see. ;-)

We have quite a few teachers who have mini-fridges in their classrooms so
they can keep sodas on hand.

Count me as a member of that group.

P.
Tierney

Old July 9th 03, 07:44 AM
Byron Canfield

"Nan" wrote in message
On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 04:28:23 GMT, "Byron Canfield"
wrote:

"Nan" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 11:32:11 -0700, Joni Rathbun
wrote:

We ran a cafe in the library last year. We refused to carry
Pepsi (the soda in our district) but we did have some "designer"
sodas including a fancy root beer, an orange cream soda, and Jones
Sodas. We also had bottled water, a wide variety of juices
and some Snapple juice type drinks. We had hot cider and cocoa
in the winter. We also had Starbucks Frappucinnos.

Everything sold well, but juices were our top sellers. Water was

second.
We have entire vending machines filled with water downstairs but they

run
out
often. We kept some of our water bottles in the freezer. Some kids
really liked that. Third best seller: Starbucks Frappucinnos.

Cocoa was a big seller in the winter.

We plan to eliminate sodas completely next year.

That is surprising, and it's wonderful that your school is able to
bypass the marketing hoohah and do what's better for the students.
Many schools don't have that option.

Nan

The schools DO have the option; they're just afraid to look at it.

And you know this to be fact because.....

Nan

I know the option to be a fact because my daughter's school has done so.

I know the fear to be a fact (apparently the fear of losing funding) because
you have said so yourself -- unless you were lying?

--
"There are 10 kinds of people in the world:
those who understand binary numbers and those who don't."

Old July 9th 03, 02:55 PM
Donna Metler

"Byron Canfield" wrote in message
newsROOa.15347$H17.5892@sccrnsc02...
"Nan" wrote in message
On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 04:35:17 GMT, "Byron Canfield"
wrote:

And then you tell them: "Yes, that's all well and good; we accept your
offer. And here is the list of what we will allow you to stock in the
vending machines. Any deviation from the list will be cause for

immediate
termination of power to the vending machines to prevent their further

use
by
students until such time as the stock is made in conformance with the

list."

I suppose, if the school is *really* willing to give back all the
funding or computers, or whatever was provided.

The school would not have to return any funding or equipment if the
"donaters" are the ones in violation.

Uh, I do most of the grant writing for my school. Both sides are liable for
the outcome. UNLESS the school has specified very in depth what they will
and will not accept as part of the written agreement, and the other side has
agreed, with no weasel phrases, the school could indeed lose the equipment.

In our cases, the phrase is "in compliance with USDA regulations for
school-day food service"-so until the USDA approves sodas, they're not
allowed. But if they wanted to start stocking flavored milk in our vending
machines, they could do so.

Old July 9th 03, 04:32 PM
Joni Rathbun

On Wed, 9 Jul 2003, Donna Metler wrote:

"Chookie" wrote in message
In article ,
toto wrote:

For the younger kids who cannot go off-campus, it will work, for
high school students. I doubt it unless we keep them from going
anywhere else and I am not in favor of closing campuses and
making teens prisoners for the entire school day as is done in
some places.

What an interesting perspective. AFAIK, children in NSW public schools

aren't
allowed off-premises without parental permission (eg for a dental
appointment). We have a legal doctrine of "in loco parentis", meaning

that
the teachers are responsible for the children's safety -- they know where

they
are and that they aren't doing anything stupid. How can this be achieved

if
you have students wandering all over town? And who is responsible if some

kid
gets himself run over?

That's the main reason most schools don't have open campuses-because we are
held liable if something happens. Those which do require parental
permission, and if your child leaves without permission, they are
theoretically able to be charged with a truancy violation (although this is
unlikely to happen unless something bad happens and the school needs to
cover their tracks).

Our district wound up with a few dead kids after their lunchtime
excursions off campus (for which we were not held liable) so public
outcry rather created a mood in which closed campuses were ...
demanded. Attendance at afternoon classes has risen dramatically.

But the mood will eventually swing the other way. Open campuses
will creep back into the system (buildings can make
their own decisions) until the Next Bad Thing.

Old July 9th 03, 04:48 PM
Byron Canfield

wrote:

[...]

That's merely an issue of taking control of the contract -- do just that --
specify in great depth what is and is not acceptable and what will be the
outcome for violations on the part of the vendor. Too many think they just
have to roll over and accept the contract the vendor provides, which is
naturally slanted in their favor. Not so. Take theirs and completely rewrite
it, slanted the other way. Believe me, they want the business so bad they'll
take it anyway.

Old July 9th 03, 05:16 PM
toto

On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 08:58:27 -0500, "Donna Metler"
wrote:

That's the main reason most schools don't have open campuses-because we are
held liable if something happens. Those which do require parental
permission, and if your child leaves without permission, they are
theoretically able to be charged with a truancy violation (although this is
unlikely to happen unless something bad happens and the school needs to
cover their tracks).

Imo, though, teenagers need to be treated as young adults, responsible
for their own behavior. For younger children it makes sense to have
them on the premises all day, but for older kids, going out to lunch
is just like going out to lunch if you are an adult working on the job
and while you may not have the option if you work in some jobs, adults
can change jobs, while teens are unlikely to be able to change
schools.

It may be that the privilege should be earned. Honor students at my
high school when I grew up were allowed more privileges. Of course
kids also could walk home for lunch in my elementary school without
a big fuss being made over it. Most didn't, but some of us who lived
close did at least on occasion. The only provision was that you had
to let the teacher know you were going home for lunch that day in the
morning when she took the lunch count.

Kids need time to be kids

Unlike their American counterparts, most German students in both the
primary and secondary grades attend school for only half the day, and
for those in the early primary grades, the school day can end at 10:30
a.m.

But many places all over the world are becoming much more structured
in supervising even the play time of children. I don't think this is
a good thing. When are we allowing children just to be kids, to learn
how to set their own social structures and to explore the world?

--
Dorothy

Outer Limits
Old July 9th 03, 10:29 PM
CBI

"toto" wrote in message

Imo, though, teenagers need to be treated as young adults, responsible
for their own behavior. For younger children it makes sense to have
them on the premises all day, but for older kids, going out to lunch
is just like going out to lunch if you are an adult working on the job
and while you may not have the option if you work in some jobs, adults
can change jobs, while teens are unlikely to be able to change
schools.

Yes but, as you say, not all adults can leave for lunch. I think part of
growing up to be an adult is to learn that you don't always get to make the
rules you want.

--
CBI

Old July 9th 03, 10:43 PM
toto

On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 15:01:58 -0500, "Donna Metler"
wrote:

The public schools walk a very thin line where litigation is concerned, and
most will err on the side of caution.

I know. This is part of what is wrong with our society and our
schools, imho.

--
Dorothy

Outer Limits
Old July 10th 03, 03:43 AM
CBI

"toto" wrote in message
On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 17:29:01 -0400, "CBI" wrote:

Yes but, as you say, not all adults can leave for lunch. I think part of
growing up to be an adult is to learn that you don't always get to make

the
rules you want.

However, most college kids have a much better schedule. We are fools
if we think that making high schools like primary schools works to
produce kids who are learning to be adults.

Whatever benefit you can imagine for being able to go out for lunch on their
own can be realized at other times such as nights and weekends at the mall,
on dates, etc. If the school finds that the kids leaving campus in the
middle of the day creates problems such as them getting into trouble and
missing classes then the best move would be to keep them there. It will be
good training for when their boss makes them stay close for lunch or
required classes in college keep them from having lunch when and where they
want.

You don't always get to eat your lunch where and when you want (or at all).
I think the kids would be more poorly served if they grew up expecting that
they would.

--
CBI

Old July 10th 03, 12:37 PM
Jeff Utz

"thumper" wrote in message
om...
(Cathy Weeks) wrote in message

om...
"Donna Metler" wrote in message

What drives me nuts is that the school cafeteria sells ice cream,

fruit
roll-ups, cookies and similar things, so the kids end up getting their

junk
food there, and a lot of their regular "food" is high carb highly

processed
stuff.

Yeah, and my stepson's school gives out candy as rewards! I just
can't get over that. They seize on any excuse to give out junk. The
afterschool program regularly gives out full-sized candy bars at the
end of the day. What are they thinking???

When my son moved into the toddler room of his daycare, they provided
morning and afternoon snacks. They also sent a note home about
appropriate food to send for lunch, emphasizing healthy meals. Each
time the licensing agency comes, they ask us to be sure to send
healthy lunches too. Sounds good, right?

Everyday should be treated like it is the day the licensing agency comes.

So, why is it that the
first day he started in that room the morning snack was.... Dunkin'
Munchkins. And they never never serve 100% juice (at least it isn't
in the refrigerator unless a parent has provided it for their child).
I just don't get it!

No you don't. Juice is basically sugar water.

All the best,

Jeff

Take care,
Lisa

Cathy Weeks
Mommy to Kivi Alexis 12/01 -
http://www.bricktopia.com/kivi
to reply remove the spam and Cathy isn't spelled with a K