how much to pay a babysitter

Old September 27th 08, 03:42 AM posted to misc.kids
Kat

Default how much to pay a babysitter

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message
. ..
What are people paying these days, I suspect there is going to be a
difference dependent on age and experience, but a ball park figure would
be helpful, I want to avoid insulting someone!

How would you feel about having two come? I'm not sure whether this will
happen, but they are twins and have been volunteered by their mum, so we
can both get out to the same social event as her. They are nineteen. I
think in general I'd be cautious over two teenagers, but I'm not sure I
feel the same about sisters.

Cheers
Anne

I actually asked this same question in my local mom's group...
Most of the moms there said they haven't really had the baby sitter thing
quite yet (most have friends/family that will do a favor or whatever) but I
did get some vague ideas...
Most said it depends on so much...
Number of children, ages of children, how long they'd be there, what they'd
have to actually do, etc.
For me, it was the scenario, first, of all 3. DS (he's 8 in Jan), DDs -
just turned 3 and just about 2. It would have been for about 4 hours in the
evening. From about 6-10 at night. Most said they'd probably pay about
$40-$50 for the whole night, but also take into consideration that although
DS can get himself in bed, DDs need to be put to bed (change of diapers -
which would almost guaranteed be pee diapers only and clothes, layed down)
and they'd also need some kind of supper - which most said they'd probably
just order in some pizza and all that.

Then with the second scenario, just DDs home from the same time, same
scenario, they'd do the same thing as far as bed/supper - pizza ordered, for
example still, they'd probably pay about $35-$40.

Then I thought of leaving a little later, with just DDs home... Leave say
730 or 8ish, be home by about 11ish and put DDs to bed myself before leaving
and have them fed supper. Most said they'd pay about $20-$25 for that
evening as the baby sitter would most likely just have to keep an ear out
for DDs, who do not wake up at night, sit on the computer/phone/TV with some
movies, snacks, etc.

For my babysitter situation, I was thinking of asking one of the next door
neighbour's daughter. This would involve no travel time (picking her
up/dropping her off, having her take a bus, cab, parent drive her, etc)
other than about 10 steps from her door to mine.

So, not that any of this really helps, but it seems that there's soooo many
different variables to take into consideration lol I had no clue as to the
going rates for teenage babysitters, or any babysitter for that matter. I
remember I'd get about $15-$20 for 2-3 children for about 3-4 hours of
babysitting... LOL And I was happy with whatever they gave me... That's
sure a far cry from the $40-$50 that some say they'd pay now!

Old September 27th 08, 05:41 PM posted to misc.kids
toypup[_2_]

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message
. ..
What are people paying these days, I suspect there is going to be a
difference dependent on age and experience, but a ball park figure would
be helpful, I want to avoid insulting someone!

How would you feel about having two come? I'm not sure whether this will
happen, but they are twins and have been volunteered by their mum, so we
can both get out to the same social event as her. They are nineteen. I
think in general I'd be cautious over two teenagers, but I'm not sure I
feel the same about sisters.

Cheers
Anne

Ours charge $10-11 per hour for two kids.

Old September 27th 08, 05:59 PM posted to misc.kids
JennP.[_3_]

On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 09:35:06 -0700, Anne Rogers
wrote:

What are people paying these days, I suspect there is going to be a
difference dependent on age and experience, but a ball park figure would
be helpful, I want to avoid insulting someone!

How would you feel about having two come? I'm not sure whether this will
happen, but they are twins and have been volunteered by their mum, so we
can both get out to the same social event as her. They are nineteen. I
think in general I'd be cautious over two teenagers, but I'm not sure I
feel the same about sisters.

Cheers
Anne

$10 for one, $12 for two for the most part. I've had a couple ask for
$15/hour and they must be getting it somewhere, but I haven't paid
that much yet.

JennP.
Old September 28th 08, 03:43 AM posted to misc.kids
Kat

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message
. ..
What are people paying these days, I suspect there is going to be a
difference dependent on age and experience, but a ball park figure would
be helpful, I want to avoid insulting someone!

How would you feel about having two come? I'm not sure whether this will
happen, but they are twins and have been volunteered by their mum, so we
can both get out to the same social event as her. They are nineteen. I
think in general I'd be cautious over two teenagers, but I'm not sure I
feel the same about sisters.

Cheers
Anne

If this shows up twice, I do apologize... Something happened with the
computer's date/time and not sure if it will come through to everyone if my
date was yesterday instead of today lol
Apologies if this shows up twice

Old October 2nd 08, 04:47 PM
jen0608 jen0608 is offline
Junior Member

11-15$ per hour is not bad...but I try to give time to my kids as much as I can...to have a good bonding to our family...

Look for babysitter Jianxin Ma General 0 May 15th 06 08:35 PM
Babysitter help Angela Schepers Pregnancy 4 June 22nd 04 02:44 PM
need a babysitter? lgallin Solutions 1 October 24th 03 07:13 PM
need a babysitter? lgallin Single Parents 3 October 22nd 03 12:32 AM
need a babysitter? lgallin Twins & Triplets 6 October 22nd 03 12:19 AM