Why is she doing this? (OAL?)

Old July 8th 03, 05:47 PM

Default Why is she doing this? (OAL?)

"HollyLewis" wrote in message
Lately, while feeding, dd (5 months) will start flailing her arms and
popping off the breast. Usually, I just get her back on, and she will
do it repeatedly about 4 or 5 times, then settle down and eat normally.
She almost acts as if she is uncomfortable, i check to make sure nothing
is wrong (arms aren't pinched or bent a funny way, etc.). From what
I've read about others experience with OAL, it almost sounds like what
she is doing. Is it likely to develop OAL 5 months into bfing? Any
suggestiong?

tia,
Jodie

I doubt it's OAL at 5 months. More likely she's gassy or uncomfortable

for
some similar minor physical reason, or she's just plain getting

distractable
now that she has a lot more control over her own body and better long

distance
vision. (Ooooh, look, a flash of light out the window! Hey, over there

is my
favorite teddy bear! What's mommy doing now? Oh, right, I was nursing.

Mmmm,
what was THAT? Oh, a dust mote just went by.)

If she settles down after a few tries, she's fine. You may have a little

more
trouble NIP than formerly, but that's all.

Holly
Mom to Camden, 2 yrs

I think I have OAL. my DD does this after she's been nursing for a little
while. I figured it was because she actually *had* to suck for a change
instead of just swallow.
are there any ways of getting rid of OAL? is OAL associated with me waking
up soaking (I mean SOAKED!) wet each morning and horribly engorged?
My DD is 7 weeks old today.
Edith

Old July 9th 03, 08:14 AM
Chookie

In article ,
"E" wrote:

are there any ways of getting rid of OAL? is OAL associated with me waking
up soaking (I mean SOAKED!) wet each morning and horribly engorged?

Yep!

You could try:

1. Feeding from only one breast each feed.
2. Feeding from one breast for 2-3 hours, then switching to the other for the
next 2-3 hours, and so on.

The length of time between alternations would depend on how uncomfortable you
get -- don't let it get too painful.

BTDT,

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"...children should continue to be breastfed... for up to two years of age
or beyond." -- Innocenti Declaration, Florence, 1 August 1990
Old July 10th 03, 10:49 PM

"Chookie" wrote in message
In article ,
"E" wrote:

are there any ways of getting rid of OAL? is OAL associated with me

waking
up soaking (I mean SOAKED!) wet each morning and horribly engorged?

Yep!

You could try:

1. Feeding from only one breast each feed.
2. Feeding from one breast for 2-3 hours, then switching to the other for

the
next 2-3 hours, and so on.

The length of time between alternations would depend on how uncomfortable

you
get -- don't let it get too painful.

BTDT,

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"...children should continue to be breastfed... for up to two years of age
or beyond." -- Innocenti Declaration, Florence, 1 August 1990

I do only feed one breast each feed... I'll have to try the Only one side
for 2-3 hours. I haven't tried that, 'cause I start leaking too much...

Edith
nak. she seems to be eating and sleeping for most of the day today. does
sleep go along with a growth spurt?