Diapering "big" kids for travelling?

Old August 21st 03, 03:44 PM
hanni g

Default Diapering "big" kids for travelling?

hello everyone,

I plan to go on holidays with my son (5 1/2 yo.), including a long car
trip. A good friend of mine usually let her kids (5 and 7) wear
diapers or pulllups, when travelling, sightseeing or such things (You
know what kind of sights the kids want to see ;-). The kids are
actually dry, exept from the older one, who wets the bed. So diapers
are no big deal for them anyway.
I just wonder if I should do the same. My little one is potty trained,
but if says "I have to go" it usually means "I have to go! QUICKLY!"
;-). This might be more comfortable for both him and for me. Just for
the case there is really no restroom nearby (or at least some trees or
bushes ;-).
How do you handle such things? Any experiences, or advice of any kind?
Thank you!

Greets, Hanni
Old August 21st 03, 04:15 PM
Jenny

"hanni g" wrote in message
om...
hello everyone,

I plan to go on holidays with my son (5 1/2 yo.), including a long car
trip. A good friend of mine usually let her kids (5 and 7) wear
diapers or pulllups, when travelling, sightseeing or such things (You
know what kind of sights the kids want to see ;-). The kids are
actually dry, exept from the older one, who wets the bed. So diapers
are no big deal for them anyway.
I just wonder if I should do the same. My little one is potty trained,
but if says "I have to go" it usually means "I have to go! QUICKLY!"
;-). This might be more comfortable for both him and for me. Just for
the case there is really no restroom nearby (or at least some trees or
bushes ;-).
How do you handle such things? Any experiences, or advice of any kind?
Thank you!

I cant believe someone would diaper a 7 yr old for a day trip or car journey
or even a 5 yr old! How are they supposed to learn to wait and hold it in
till they reach a toilet if they have a diaper on? Surely you make toilet
breaks for yourselves, so why not for the kids???? What happens at school??
I know at my daughters school they are only allowed the toilet at break
times, not when they please.

Old August 21st 03, 04:19 PM
Banty

In article , hanni g says...

hello everyone,

I plan to go on holidays with my son (5 1/2 yo.), including a long car
trip. A good friend of mine usually let her kids (5 and 7) wear
diapers or pulllups, when travelling, sightseeing or such things (You
know what kind of sights the kids want to see ;-). The kids are
actually dry, exept from the older one, who wets the bed. So diapers
are no big deal for them anyway.

Gee - when I opened this post, I expected to see an age like - 3 1/2 or four.

By five 1/2, you and the child should really have a routine down and a way of
travelling such that they and you can adress the bathroom thang.

I just wonder if I should do the same. My little one is potty trained,
but if says "I have to go" it usually means "I have to go! QUICKLY!"
;-). This might be more comfortable for both him and for me. Just for
the case there is really no restroom nearby (or at least some trees or
bushes ;-).

Well, that *is* one advantage little boys do have, provided you're diligent and
considerate about choosing the venue (like bushes a little away from the
roadside).

Now, of course for health's sake you want to keep your kids hydrated on a trip -
but by any chance are you one of those parents whose kids (and themselves) are
frequently running around with soft drinks in hand, always soft drinks in the
minivan cup holders, and ordering the super-sized drinks with fast food meals,
etc? Because this is one reason for frequent and urgent bathroom visits (and
one reason for overweight and obesity). If so, switch to water bottles, which
would usually be drunk according to thirst needs, rather than for the sweet
taste.

Banty

Old August 21st 03, 04:58 PM
Kari

I think by that age kids are most definately old enough to go on a trip of
any length without diapers. We travel quite frequently between home and my
parent's house and its about a 3.5 hour trip. My kids never wore diapers
just because it was easier, for my son we'd just pull over and let him do
his business in the weeds Even when my daughter was small and we lived
much further away (10 hrs) we'd just make frequent stops and make sure
everyone went and never had any problems whatsoever.

Kari
mom to Kaylie (7) Noah (4) and #3 due in 6 weeks

Old August 21st 03, 05:56 PM
Rosalie B.

x-no-archive:yes
(hanni g) wrote:

hello everyone,

I plan to go on holidays with my son (5 1/2 yo.), including a long car
trip. A good friend of mine usually let her kids (5 and 7) wear
diapers or pulllups, when travelling, sightseeing or such things (You
know what kind of sights the kids want to see ;-). The kids are
actually dry, exept from the older one, who wets the bed. So diapers
are no big deal for them anyway.
I just wonder if I should do the same. My little one is potty trained,
but if says "I have to go" it usually means "I have to go! QUICKLY!"
;-). This might be more comfortable for both him and for me. Just for
the case there is really no restroom nearby (or at least some trees or
bushes ;-).
How do you handle such things? Any experiences, or advice of any kind?
Thank you!

Greets, Hanni

I have been on many long car trips with my children at various
different times in their lives. I wouldn't do it. Maybe your
friend's child is comfortable with it, but she's in a different
situation than you are really. Unless he can't go at least 2 hours.

I like (? Marie - can't remember who it was) who said that she taught
her children that even if they didn't think they had to go, that it
was polite to start off with an empty bladder and they should try to
go because they might have a little pee in there.

And then stop every so often to give them chance/require them to pee.

My first trip from Maryland to California my kids were three and one.
We started off about 7, got gas at 10:00 and went to the rest room.
Got gas at 2pm and went to the rest room. Stopped about 5. She
didn't have a problem with that at all.

The next time we went from California to Florida and they were 6 and 4
and we followed the same schedule except that we stopped for lunch.
And we were traveling with my dad who had to stop about every two
hours anyway. We did have one incident where the youngest suddenly
had to go (we were in the middle of the desert) and we told her there
was nowhere to go and she'd either have to hold it or we could stop
and she could do it by the side of the road. She decided to hold it.

I'd work on figuring out (paying attention to) how often and when he
normally goes and schedule around that.

grandma Rosalie
Old August 21st 03, 05:56 PM
Nikki

hanni g wrote:
hello everyone,

I plan to go on holidays with my son (5 1/2 yo.), including a long car
trip. A good friend of mine usually let her kids (5 and 7) wear
diapers or pulllups, when travelling, sightseeing or such things

I would never do this in a million years. I don't know anyone that would
and to be honest I think your friend must have some issues.

--
Nikki (wondering if this is a troll)
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)

Old August 21st 03, 06:37 PM
Ali's Daddie

"hanni g" wrote in message
om...
| hello everyone,
|
| I plan to go on holidays with my son (5 1/2 yo.), including a long car
| trip. A good friend of mine usually let her kids (5 and 7) wear
| diapers or pulllups, when travelling, sightseeing or such things (You
| know what kind of sights the kids want to see ;-). The kids are
| actually dry, exept from the older one, who wets the bed. So diapers
| are no big deal for them anyway.
| I just wonder if I should do the same. My little one is potty trained,
| but if says "I have to go" it usually means "I have to go! QUICKLY!"
| ;-). This might be more comfortable for both him and for me. Just for
| the case there is really no restroom nearby (or at least some trees or
| bushes ;-).
| How do you handle such things? Any experiences, or advice of any kind?
| Thank you!
|
| Greets, Hanni

We commonly take car trips with our 3 1/2 year old niece. She is potty
trained. We do not let her wear pullups or diapers. Seems a little counter
productive to us.

We stop about every 2 hours. If she doesn't have to go, we make her at least
try and tell her that she will have to hold it until we stop again. She has
never not been able to go at least a little bit. And she has never had an
accident.

Luckily, I happen to have the smallest bladder on the planet when I am
driving, so I would never "forget" to stop lol.

--
LES!

Daddie to Alegra Lee. May 25th 2003!
"Daddie's Little Diva"

To send me an email, please remove your hat

Old August 21st 03, 06:57 PM
KAB

Personally, I would never put a diaper on a child who is already potty
trained. I think it would be demeaning to the child, who already
considers his/herself a "big" boy or girl. Having children means
having to adapt to a different lifestyle and constant demands, even if
it causes some inconvenience.

My husband and I recently took a 9 hour driving trip with 3 and 4 year
old girls. We monitored liquid consumption, and certainly allowed for
extra time to make stops. Even when the girls said that they didn't
have to go to the potty, I would say that "I" had to go, and
inevitably, once in the restroom, they were sure to follow me.

I also drive an hour each way to and from my office and their nursery
school. For emergencies when stuck in traffic, I keep an extra potty
in the back with an old towel in it to absorb - in case of an
emergency. I've never had to use it, but I know it's there and so do
my children. We make potty trips before leaving school or home.
Old August 21st 03, 08:38 PM
newfy

"hanni g" wrote in message
om...
hello everyone,

I plan to go on holidays with my son (5 1/2 yo.), including a long car
trip. A good friend of mine usually let her kids (5 and 7) wear
diapers or pulllups, when travelling, sightseeing or such things (You
know what kind of sights the kids want to see ;-). The kids are
actually dry, exept from the older one, who wets the bed. So diapers
are no big deal for them anyway.

Um, 5 and 7? No offence, but I think your friend has some mess issues.
There's no reason a five and seven year old need to wear diapers for
travelling or sightseeing. I can't imagine a seven year old *not* being
humiliated being made to wear a diaper so mommy won't be inconvenienced.
Seriously, it's not that hard to find a bathroom, and if it is, it's not
that hard to find a tree.

I just wonder if I should do the same. My little one is potty trained,
but if says "I have to go" it usually means "I have to go! QUICKLY!"
;-). This might be more comfortable for both him and for me. Just for
the case there is really no restroom nearby (or at least some trees or
bushes ;-).
How do you handle such things?

Ds is 2y10m and potty trained since Jan. If it's a true emergency I pull
over and let him pee in a private place.Usually he can wait until a rest
area or bathroom. If he needs to have a bowel movement then he can hold it
until we find someplace to go asap. I travel very frequently for 3.5 hours
at a time to get to my lake house and we've had exactly *one* pee accident.
Accidents happen, you clean them up. It's not really that big of a deal.
--
JennP.
mom to matthew 10/11/00