NIP - Info?

Old December 12th 06, 10:21 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
xkatx

Default NIP - Info?

I'm just wondering...
I'm aware that everyone is from every corner of the globe, and IIRC, there's
not too many that are from around where I am, but maybe there's a few I've
missed that are around often, and here's to hoping there's a few lurkers...

I'm in Canada (Western Canada, if it makes a difference)

I'm wondering about the general rules or guidelines or whatever about NIP.
DD2 nurses, and is 7 weeks old today. At home, I normally walk around with
no shirt and just a bra for my own convenience, or I'll toss on a nursing
tank top. At night, it's just a nursing bra, again for convenience. She
does not nurse well with a blanket over her. She will feed with a blanket
over her, but not as well and she starts to get real hot (and so do I!)

The times I do use a light receiving blanket while nursing is places that I
know it would just make things easier - at my parents' house if I happen to
be nursing at the dinner table or something, for example, as I find I'm kind
of a sloppy eater trying to eat with half an arm, so the blanket kind of
saves DD2 from being covered in food from me, and I also know that my dad
and brothers often don't care to see my boob hanging out while they're
eating. I really don't mind in these cases. If we're not eating, and just
visiting at the table or in the living room, I usually don't use a blanket,
but I also do wear a nursing top of some sort whenever I go out in public.

Now, while out shopping, for example, I really don't like the blanket idea,
as again, it's fairly uncomfortable for me AND DD2. I do wear a nursing
top, but I'm wondering where a person could go to find out the actual
'rules' (probably not a good word?) or laws(?) around NIP for where I am in
Canada. Am I 'allowed' to just kind of whip it out and get her to latch on
right then and there while in public? Does anyone know where I could go
to - either online or call some place local - that could give me info as to
what is socially acceptable in public here and not?

There's never been a huge fuss about it, that I know of. I wouldn't think
twice about a mother nursing her child, and TBH, I find it almost weird when
Mom and baby huddle together under a blanket like they're freezing to death
and hiding from the world. I have no problems at all with that, but some
might, but I'm just trying to find out where nursing mothers stand here in
Canada.

Any ideas? Anything is greatly appreciated!

Old December 13th 06, 02:23 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
betsy

xkatx wrote:
I'm in Canada (Western Canada, if it makes a difference)

I'm wondering about the general rules or guidelines or whatever about NIP.
!

I think you are in luck. According to INFACT Canada:

"Your right to breastfeed anywhere, anytime is protected by the
Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms."

Your actual rights depend on your province. For more information and
province specific details look at:

http://www.infactcanada.ca/Breastfeeding_Rights.htm

--Betsy

Old December 13th 06, 02:29 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Fer

Hey Kat,

I am not too sure how Western you are in Canada but here in BC where I am
(Van Island actually) I never had ANY problem during my 19 months nursing
here, nor when feeding my other two in Ontario for that matter. Sometimes I
was discreet others not so much. My little one nursed ALL the time,
seriously, and I never had any problems nor any dirty looks. Out here I
have seen all states of nursing from covered up to complete bare breast. I
personally used a sling often which helped immensely with nursing on the go.

For the actual legalities visit this link
http://www.infactcanada.ca/Breastfeeding_Rights.htm

HTH!

Jenn

Old December 13th 06, 03:52 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
xkatx

"betsy" wrote in message
ups.com...

xkatx wrote:
I'm in Canada (Western Canada, if it makes a difference)

I'm wondering about the general rules or guidelines or whatever about
NIP.
!

I think you are in luck. According to INFACT Canada:

"Your right to breastfeed anywhere, anytime is protected by the
Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms."

Your actual rights depend on your province. For more information and
province specific details look at:

http://www.infactcanada.ca/Breastfeeding_Rights.htm

--Betsy

That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!
My google skills aren't so great, I guess, since I came up with absolutely
nothing that was relevant.

Old December 13th 06, 03:57 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
xkatx

"Fer" wrote in message
Hey Kat,

I am not too sure how Western you are in Canada but here in BC where I am
(Van Island actually) I never had ANY problem during my 19 months nursing
here, nor when feeding my other two in Ontario for that matter. Sometimes
was discreet others not so much. My little one nursed ALL the time,
seriously, and I never had any problems nor any dirty looks. Out here I
have seen all states of nursing from covered up to complete bare breast.
personally used a sling often which helped immensely with nursing on the
go.

For the actual legalities visit this link
http://www.infactcanada.ca/Breastfeeding_Rights.htm

HTH!

Well, there's nothing really more west of BC, and I'm not that far west.
I'm in Alberta, although I do wish I was in BC, and Vancouver Island would
probably my first choice!
Funny how 2 people can come up with the same link, yet I sat here for
probably close to an hour trying to google and get something, yet found
nothing at all.
Helpful link, thanks. I actually fed DD2 at Walmart later that evening and
I didn't notice any dirty looks, although there was a little boy - about 8
or so years old - who looked a little more curious than anything.
I did the sling thing with DD1 on a few occasions. It was easy to walk
around with her in it - and half the time she was in it, she was nursing. I
think I do need to look at a different sling, as the one I have I find is a
bit big for me (I think)

Old December 13th 06, 04:47 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Irene

xkatx wrote:

Helpful link, thanks. I actually fed DD2 at Walmart later that evening and
I didn't notice any dirty looks, although there was a little boy - about 8
or so years old - who looked a little more curious than anything.
I did the sling thing with DD1 on a few occasions. It was easy to walk
around with her in it - and half the time she was in it, she was nursing. I
think I do need to look at a different sling, as the one I have I find is a
bit big for me (I think)

Btw - what kind of sling are you using? When you say it's too big, do
you mean you can't get it tight enough to be supportive? That's a
typical problem with padded slings, btw, so I'm guessing that's what
you mean, tho of course I could be wrong.

Irene

Old December 13th 06, 05:41 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
xkatx

"Irene" wrote in message
ups.com...

xkatx wrote:

Helpful link, thanks. I actually fed DD2 at Walmart later that evening
and
I didn't notice any dirty looks, although there was a little boy - about
8
or so years old - who looked a little more curious than anything.
I did the sling thing with DD1 on a few occasions. It was easy to walk
around with her in it - and half the time she was in it, she was nursing.
think I do need to look at a different sling, as the one I have I find is
bit big for me (I think)

Btw - what kind of sling are you using? When you say it's too big, do
you mean you can't get it tight enough to be supportive? That's a
typical problem with padded slings, btw, so I'm guessing that's what
you mean, tho of course I could be wrong.

Irene

I honestly don't know.
It says, "The Original Babysling A NoTo Product" on the tag, if that means
anything.
I was given this sling for free, and it kinda did the job good enough to
carry a baby in, and I find it's a lot more useful for an older child... Now
that DD1 is 16 months, it got easier to use this one as a hip sling for her
to sit in, rather than using it for an infant to lay in.
It's like a big piece of material with padded edges. I assume this is what
you mean by a padded sling. It has a plastic ring thing that you fasten it
up with.
This is what it looks like, although that's not me and that's not my baby
http://www.safeandsecurebaby.com/fil...771976a5dd.jpg
Is there a better sling to use? (well, obviously there is... There's always
something better lol)
I'm not really interested in finding something online and ordering it. I'd
much rather stick to something local and easy to get to that doesn't come
with the online shopping bit.

I've wanted to look at one of those Moby Wraps. Has anyone ever used one?
Do those work alright for carrying baby AND nursing while in it? I know
they're darn expensive, but if it's really as good as I've heard here or
there, I'd be willing to put the money out to get one - and some lessons on
how to use it!

Old December 13th 06, 06:46 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Melissa

"xkatx" wrote in message

I've wanted to look at one of those Moby Wraps. Has anyone ever used one?

Love the Moby! Possibly because it's the only carrying option my son would
tolerate, at all. BTW, sounds like what you currently have is a Nojo sling,
that's what we started with (same reason too a friend gave it to us).
Kidlet HATED it. So, we tried one of those snuggli-like (but not actually a
snuggli) carriers, again, absolute hatred. Soo..I tried some other kind of
wrap(pregnancy brain prevents me from remembering what type), again, no
luck.

Finally a friend of mine kept raving about her Moby and bada bing bada boom,
our answer! Of course by this time kidlet is big enough that he doesn't
*want* to be carried as much and we don't NIP very often, however that said
my friend has nursed everywhere in hers and said she loves it because it
makes NIP easy. I also found it MUCH more user friendly than the Nojo, the
booklet has step by step instructions whereas the video with the Nojo left
me perplexed (granted I can be easily confused at times).

I recently leant mine to another friend who has twins (with the
instructions that when baby #2 is born in Feb I need it back) and she adores
it. She has even figured out some kind of twin wrap so she can carry them
both at once!

Anyway, probably more info than you wanted, just my opinion FWIW.

Melissa
Mom to Connor born 05/24/05
Expecting Nursling #2 appx 02/22/07

Old December 13th 06, 07:34 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Irene

xkatx wrote:
"Irene" wrote in message
ups.com...

xkatx wrote:

[...]

That's what I figured you had, since they are pretty common. Since I
don't know where you are, I don't know if there are any stores near you
that sell better carriers, since there aren't any really good ones
available at any of the big chains, alas. I haven't used a Moby, but I
have used other wraps. It is definitely possible to nurse in a wrap,
tho there is a learning curve. You can also make your own stretchy
wrap, btw. There are lots of instructions at www.mamatoto.org, both
for making one and for carries. There are also dvd's with
instructions, too.

Another option is to find out if there is a NINO (babywearing - short
for Nine In, Nine Out) group near you. www.nino.org iirc. There you
can try out other people's carriers without having to shell out - tho
you may end up coveting some of the more expensive carriers that way.

I will say that if you basically know how to use a ring sling, you
could try buying another one online. Some good unpadded or lightly
padded ones include the new Maya Wrap lightly padded, and Jan Andrea's
Sleeping Baby Productions unpadded. Jan also has a pattern to make
your own.

Another option - I've heard of moms unstitching the padded sling to
take out some of the padding, and re-sewing it, to make it more
adjustable.

HTH,
Irene

Old December 15th 06, 01:30 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
stasya

xkatx wrote:

Well, there's nothing really more west of BC, and I'm not that far west.
I'm in Alberta, although I do wish I was in BC, and Vancouver Island would
probably my first choice!

Hey where are you from in Alberta then? I'm moved from Edmonton to a
little town east of there. It's so nice to see someone from my area.

As far as NIP goes though, I went through a few stages myself. My first
baby, I never nursed in public. I'd hide in washrooms, change rooms, my
car, etc etc. The second one, I nursed, but with a blanket tossed over.
The third, I didn't even wear nursing bras, but just lifted my t-shirt
and bra to just up past my nipple, and with the baby latched on, you
couldn't see anything. I did shock a few guys in the bar where I work.
I did it almost as a lark, just to see their faces. The sudden stop,
whirl around, pretend they didn't see anything. *They* were so much
more embarrassed then I was, and it wasn't like they could even *see*
anything. It was just the fact that I was nursing.

Stasya