For a friend: swelling, weight gain, and induction

Old September 15th 04, 01:12 PM
Zaz

Default For a friend: swelling, weight gain, and induction

Hi,

Yesterday my friend - 34 weeks - went to see her doctor, and she had gained
9 pounds in the last 3 weeks (I told her not to worry, I gained 13 within
the last month). The doctor was worried because her hands are a little bit
swollen most of the time. However, her blood pressure is, and has been from
the start, A-OK.

Now, her doctor says that if at any time she shows higher blood pressure, he
will induce at 37 weeks. She freaked, and asked me what I thought about it.

My first reaction was : no way!
Her swelling is not that apparent, and in those past 3 weeks she was putting
the final touches to her Master Degree's thesis, and so stayed home, and did
nothing but write, write, write... and eat, and stress. I suggested she
comes to the pool more often (as that's where we meet) from now on to help
the swelling go down, as well as drinking lots of water - which she hasn't
done lately, being too stressed out to think about it. I also suggested she
takes a walk now and then, and since she lives close to my home, I offered
to accompany her.
As for induction, I made my opinion against it very clear. What bothers me
about the whole thing is that SHE DOESN'T HAVE HIGH BP, and the doctor puts
this threat over her head : "we'll induce at 37 weeks"... Why didn't he just
wait to see if she would get any high blood pressure before making her worry
like that? He could have just come up with suggestions to control the
swelling (if that is possible), and forget about the "induction" for now!

Anyway, as I am no doctor, and as I was only going on gut feeling, I told
her I would talk to my friends... so here I am!

What are your opinion on this? If you want any more details, I'll provide
them gladly!

Isabelle

Old September 15th 04, 03:29 PM
Nikki

Zaz wrote:

What are your opinion on this? If you want any more details, I'll
provide them gladly!

I had swelling and I *did* have high blood pressure. They monitored my
blood pressure closely (I took it every couple days, every day at the end)
to assure it didn't spike up, they monitored my urine for protein, they
monitored for other symptoms, did more ultrasounds (to monitor the growth of
the baby since blood pressure can effect the efficiency of the placenta),
and a bunch of non-stress tests in the end. I did eventually consent to an
induction. It was near 41 weeks. It was a preventative measure to not
tempt fate with regards to it turning into pre-eclempsia. It went fine btw
but it was my second baby. I really think everything would have been fine
had I gone naturally as well. I got a second opinion, which really made me
feel better so as the time draws near, I'd recommend that.

--
Nikki

Old September 15th 04, 03:30 PM
Donna Metler

Uh...it is possible to have PE without clinically high blood pressure. If
she's having other signs of pre-eclampsia, such as protein in the urine and
reflex reactions, as well as swelling, inducing early may be reasonable. If
it's just swelling, well, that may be expected.

Old September 15th 04, 03:44 PM
Zaz

Well, that's just it: she only has swelling, no other symptoms. Her urine
tests are all OK, her reflex reactions tested all right...

Old September 15th 04, 04:25 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Zaz wrote:

Hi,

Yesterday my friend - 34 weeks - went to see her doctor, and she had gained
9 pounds in the last 3 weeks (I told her not to worry, I gained 13 within
the last month). The doctor was worried because her hands are a little bit
swollen most of the time. However, her blood pressure is, and has been from
the start, A-OK.

Now, her doctor says that if at any time she shows higher blood pressure, he
will induce at 37 weeks. She freaked, and asked me what I thought about it.

My first reaction was : no way!

I would agree. If the BP is so high as to be dangerous
in and of itself, that might be an issue. If the BP is up and
there is also proteinuria and bedrest or whatever doesn't keep
it within acceptable levels, then sure. But slightly elevated
BP with no proteinuria and only dependent swelling and weight
gain? No way. And shame on the doctor for scare mongering.
It's certainly something to keep an eye on, but threatening
early induction is beyond the pale at this point.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old September 15th 04, 06:24 PM
Leslie

When I was pregnant with my first I was swollen so much that the only shoes
that fit on my feet were unlaced tennis shoes. I lost 27 lbs. upon delivery
and was still swollen even then! This went on my whol pregnancy, from about
four months on.

But my BP was around 100/70 the whole time, and there was no protein in my
urine. As long as the same holds true for your friend, there is NO REASON to
induce for edema.

Leslie

Emily (2/4/91)
Jake (1/27/94)
Teddy (2/15/95)
William (3/5/01 -- VBA3C, 13 lbs. 5 oz.)
and Lorelei, expected 11/2/04

"Children come trailing clouds of glory from God, which is their home."
~ William Wordsworth

Old September 16th 04, 12:37 AM
Larry McMahan

Zaz writes:
: Hi,

: Yesterday my friend - 34 weeks - went to see her doctor, and she had gained
: 9 pounds in the last 3 weeks (I told her not to worry, I gained 13 within
: the last month). The doctor was worried because her hands are a little bit
: swollen most of the time. However, her blood pressure is, and has been from
: the start, A-OK.

: Now, her doctor says that if at any time she shows higher blood pressure, he
: will induce at 37 weeks. She freaked, and asked me what I thought about it.

this is bull****. She need to tell him that if there is no protein show,
he is off his rocker!

: My first reaction was : no way!

Doh!

[...]

Hmmm. Time to change caregivers? :-)

: Anyway, as I am no doctor, and as I was only going on gut feeling, I told
: her I would talk to my friends... so here I am!

: What are your opinion on this? If you want any more details, I'll provide
: them gladly!

: Isabelle

GRRrr,
Larry