Swallow reflex

Old February 10th 05, 10:04 PM
Welches

Default Swallow reflex

Well, Matthew (my sister's baby) seems to be doing really well. He's been
off the ventilator/extra oxygen now for over 24 hours and his oxygen level
is consistantly high.

However he is being tube fed at present because he has lost his swallow
reflex. This is probably due to having a tube stuck down his throat for so
long. Can anyone confirm my suspicions that this would be fairly usual in
babies that have been on a ventilator and tube fed for nearly a week? Will
it come back naturally or will he have to relearn it somehow?

It's a bit of a problem because he doesn't get rid of stuff in his mouth if
he has dribble there.

Can anyone give me reassurance (experiences) to pass on that this will come
back naturally?

Thanks:
Debbie

Old February 11th 05, 10:15 PM
Ilse Witch

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 22:04:27 +0000, Welches wrote:

Well, Matthew (my sister's baby) seems to be doing really well. He's been
off the ventilator/extra oxygen now for over 24 hours and his oxygen level
is consistantly high.

I have no clue about swallow reflexes, but I am thrilled to hear he is
doing so well! I hope he will follow a steady upward line from here.

--
-- I
mommy to DS (July '02)

Leg/knee reflex Jill Pregnancy 8 September 18th 04 12:29 PM
Breast feeding letdown reflex question. na Pregnancy 11 November 18th 03 05:48 PM