Marriage and stuff question

Old October 27th 05, 10:57 PM
Anne Rogers

Default Marriage and stuff question

Good honey moon huh *wink wink* lol

LOL indeed, we both had streaming colds on our honeymoon, we had sex
precisely once, DS was probably conceived 4 weeks to the day after we got
married, coinciding with the arrival of our bed (we'd been sleeping on
single mattresses on the floor until that point), he was 3 weeks early.

Anne

Old October 28th 05, 12:20 AM
Cuddlefish

..oOrachOo. wrote:
I was married last year (October 29 2004) and we are expecting our baby
on 9 January 2006. For some reason, I am feeling so guilty for getting
pregnant so fast. It was a surprise but it seems the people that my
aunt and mother are now inviting to the baby shower are now invited to
the baby shower. I just feel like people will think we are being stupid
or something. I can't describe it but I just feel weird about it.
Anyone else in this situation or have advice?

TIA

Why have a baby shower at all? Do you really want gifts from people who
are buying the gift out of some sense of obligation?

Instead share the happy news, and welcome any gifts you may get from
those who genuinely want to be generous.

Jacqueline
Old October 28th 05, 02:02 AM
stasya

Maybe she's not the one throwing the party. Other people generally
throw parties for you. I've never had any really close friends, so I've
had two babies and no shower, but still got lots of presents for both.

Stasya

Old October 28th 05, 02:22 AM
Cuddlefish

stasya wrote:
Maybe she's not the one throwing the party. Other people generally
throw parties for you. I've never had any really close friends, so I've
had two babies and no shower, but still got lots of presents for both.

Stasya

Oh, I didn't know that. Perhaps she could ask whoever to not go ahead
with a party? Surely they are not put on as surprises, are they? I would
be horrified if one of my friends did that for me; gift showers are not
part of my culture - they seem an American thing.

Jacqueline
Old October 28th 05, 03:11 AM
Kevin

That's 14+ months.. of the few couples that I know that's quite a while
;-) Especially us.

We weren't as quick as Anne and we didn't even have streaming colds or
anything :-) we were married Christmas 03 and DS was born Nov 04, so
that's 10 months and 8 days... and my wife had 2 showers and 2 baby
showers.

Hey, a baby is a big deal, it's a huge life change and (in my opinion)
should be celebrated! If you're feeling guilty about people buying you
gifts, don't worry that's what they're supposed to do (isn't it? :-).

Congrats!

Kevin

oups.com...

Old October 28th 05, 04:02 AM
Leslie

I understand how you feel. Our first was born 18 months after our
wedding, and I didn't feel strange about that particularly, but I felt
very awkward and worried about what people would say when #3 arrived 12
months after #2. And people did have a lot to say about it.

But you know what? It's nobody's business. Most people love baby
showers and nobody's MAKING them buy presents for you! So enjoy it!

My mother was not happy when I got pregnant with #5 but she sure
worships her now that she's here. :-)

Leslie

Old October 28th 05, 01:06 PM
Sue

"Leslie" wrote in message
My mother was not happy when I got pregnant with #5 but she sure
worships her now that she's here. :-)

Ha, isn't that funny how that works. My mom didn't speak to me during my
first pregnancy because she was so upset. Then the second, she definitely
was none to pleased. By the time the third one came along, she asked if I
didn't know how to stop it. The grandchildren ended up being the light of
her life.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old October 28th 05, 02:17 PM
Leslie

It's funny, my grandmother was always upset when either of her
daughters got pregnant as well. You'd think my mother would be
different because of that, but no. :-p

I just don't get the point of letting me know she's upset. I mean, if
I told her I was thinking of having a baby and she had an opinion about
that, okay. (Well. not really, but . . .). But once the baby is on
the way it's on the way, so why not just be happy about it?

Leslie

Old October 28th 05, 03:31 PM
Anne Rogers

I just don't get the point of letting me know she's upset. I mean, if
I told her I was thinking of having a baby and she had an opinion about
that, okay. (Well. not really, but . . .). But once the baby is on
the way it's on the way, so why not just be happy about it?

I don't get that either, my mum was actually not keen on me having my first
when I did, when it came up in passing in advance, she said things like "you
need to get your career established" all the classic ones, but from the
moment I told her she was thrilled, it was as if a switch was flicked, the
fact I was pregnant meant she was going to get a grandchild and that was far
too thrilling for anything to get in the way of.

Anne

Old October 28th 05, 05:42 PM
stasya

That's almost the same thing my parents said to me. "Well you know how
it happens now right?" I just tell them I'm holding up my end of the
2.2 children per couple in order to preserve the population! We own a
restaurant so I think Max gets a lot of suggestions from other men to
go for sterilization. (Which he won't, he's very superstitious.) It's
only our 3rd for crying out loud, not our 10th!

Stasya