APGAR defn (also: Answering a 'quackbuster' defender (Dean Moyer)

Old November 29th 06, 11:42 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.health.alternative,sci.med
[email protected]

Default APGAR defn (also: Answering a 'quackbuster' defender (Dean Moyer)

APGAR DEFINITION

Focusing attention on the baby - what a concept!

"The score is named for the preeminent American anesthesiologist
Virginia Apgar (1909-1974) who invented the scoring method in 1952.
Having assisted at thousands of deliveries, Dr. Apgar wished to focus
attention on the baby."

"Apgar: Abbreviation for the Apgar score, a practical method of
evaluating the physical condition of a newborn infant shortly after
delivery. The Apgar score is a number arrived at by scoring the heart
rate, respiratory effort, muscle tone, skin color, and response to a
catheter in the nostril. Each of these objective signs can receive 0,
1, or 2 points.
A perfect Apgar score of 10 means an infant is in the best possible
condition. An infant with an Apgar score of 0-3 needs immediate
resuscitation..."

More APGAR info below.

DEAN MOYER...

"QUACKBUSTER" DEFENDER (DEAN MOYER) writes of "Quackbuster" Stephen
Barrett, MD:

"Can these people present ANY evidence of what they consider
[Barrett's] 'incompetence'..."
http://www.rebuildyourback.com/

OPEN LETTER archived for global access in the Google usenet archive
(http://groups.google.com)

Dean Moyer
www.rebuildyourback.com
Via

Dean,

I am glad you put "incompetence" in quotes...

I have evidence that Barrett is INTENTIONALLY "incompetent" -
INTENTIONALLY failing to "quackbust" obvious mass quackery of his
fellow MDs.

Significantly, "Quackbuster" Barrett is failing to "quackbust" obvious
MD SPINAL MANIPULATION quackery.

The most prolific spinal manipulators of babies are MD-obstetricians.
They are GRUESOME spinal manipulators who sometimes pull so hard they
rip spinal nerves out of tiny spinal cords.

MD-obstetrician spinal manipulation is gruesome because they pull on
babies' spines (and violently push with oxytocin) - with mothers' birth
canals senselessly closed up to 30% - with mothers' birth canals
senselessly KEPT closed the "extra" up to 30% when babies get stuck.

Worse, MD-obstetrician experts have been telling obvious lies to
cover-up.

For the Four OB Lies (they are whoppers)...

See Dents in babies' skulls"
http://groups.google.com/group/
misc.kids.pregnancy/msg/08abfc7ff242150e

Alternate URL:

I pointed out other MD lies to "Quackbuster" Barrett - like phony
"babies can't feel pain" neurology - and he ran.

I followed him to Rebecca Long's "healthfraud" list - got censored in
violation of Rebecca's rules - after which the list shut down for
awhile.

When it came back - "Quackbuster" Barrett was the "enforcer."

Barrett's fellow "Quackbuster" - Polevoy - was allowed to criticize me
without me there to defend myself - an experience I was reminded of
when I saw what you did to Chiromed0. (Dean, if you wonder about
Chiromed0's thoughts, why not stop censoring him and allow him to
remark? See below.)

"Quackbuster" Barrett is also failing to "quackbust" other obvious MD
criminal behavior...

See 'The Heckler's veto' (also: Barrett v. Rosenthal: The Court's shaky
factual bkgrnd)
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.s...5edd9405684253

Dean, will you ape Barrett's selective "quackbusting"?

Will you, too, ignore obvious mass quackery by MDs?

I hope not.

Sincerely,

Todd

Dr. Gastaldo
Hillsboro, Oregon
USA

I wrote:

Does Activator adjusting harm unborn babies?
http://groups.google.com/group/misc....ecc98ce856897c

#### replied:

Not to be totally dismissing of this treatment method but I have found
it to be a greatly factitious novelty. Not only do I not think it will
harm an unborn baby...I doubt very seriously if it will "help"

#### Chiromed0, it is your right to "be totally dismissing" of
Activator Methods - but how sad that you did not take the opportunity
to also "be totally dismissing" of the gruesome spinal manipulation of
MD-obstetricians that I described. See below.

#### On a lark, I Googled you and found Dean Moyer criticizing you (and
chiropractic) apparently without offering you a chance to respond.

#### Dean writes:

"Not long ago a chiropractor going by the screen name chiromed0
literally came unglued and proceeded to attack me in my forum over a
statement I made in one of my articles comparing his so-called
doctorate to 'a two-year technical degree in knuckle cracking'...I
attempted to reply to his barrage of criticism but when he refused to
conduct himself with any semblance of professionalism (and even started
snapping at other members of the group) I simply banned him and deleted
his inappropriate postings."
http://www.rebuildyourback.com/

#### Dean also said:

"I have a zero tolerance policy when it comes to flaming posts...The
only problems we've had with this sort of behavior has come from
chiropractors...."
http://www.rebuildyourback.com/category/chiropractic/

#### Dean then proceeded to flame "all chiropractors," as in,

"Like all chiropractors... everything he says is made up out of thin
air."

#### Surely Dean did not mean to indicate publicly that all
chiropractors make up/have no factual basis for what they say.

#### Dean censored Chiromed0 - then censored "edited"/forgave himself
for the same sin he accused Chiromed0 of committing:

"Yes, I know my original statement was insensitive... I have since
edited that remark out of the article in question... not because it was
wrong... but because it could be mistaken for a statement of fact,
rather than merely me expressing my personal opinion...Besides, as it
was, the remark was not germane to the context of the article and I
intended to edit it long before he complained... I just hadn't gotten
around to it."

#### Dean then "set the record straight" by taking a whack at
chiropractic education and concluded:
"I just can't help wondering if [Chiromed0) would still attempt to
defend his diploma-mill doctorate after reading what his fellow
chiropractors have to say in this latest article?"

#### I am proud of my chiropractic education. It is where I learned
the anatomy and physiology necessary to expose the mass quackery by MDs
currently being taught in medical schools.

#### As I recently wrote to NIH's "complementary and alternative"
center NCCAM:

CHIROPRACTIC...

Dr. DD Palmer, Founder of chiropractic, wrote:

"It now remains for Chiropractors to rectify the mistakes of the
medical
profession." [Palmer DD. The Science, Art and Philosophy of
Chiropractic. Portland, OR: Portland Printing House, Co. 1910:867]

Chiropractic - has made many mistakes over the years - but chiropractic
mistakes pale in comparison with the mistakes of "conventional
medicine" - unless one includes the chiropractic mistake of ignoring
Dr. Palmer/ignoring medical mistakes.

I'M WONDERING... Is my old classmate from chiropractic college -
NCCAM's Partap Singh Khalsa, DC, PhD protesting the MD crimes and the
fact that NCCAM is so badly subluxated? I would be so pleased to learn
that Dr. Khalsa is protesting...but I suspect he isn't...

There's no money in this work.

Or maybe there is.

I say again:

USENET READERS: I see COMMERCIAL VALUE in this work. Share equally in
any QUI TAM earnings that may come my way from my idea of simply having
law enforcement stop BILLIONS per year in obvious ongoing medical
fraud: Simply forward this post to Oregon Atty Gen'l Hardy Myers via
and copy me at .

END excerpt of Dr. Gastaldo's post, NCCAM badly subluxated, endangering babies...

http://groups.google.com/group/misc....cdbd307637816b

#### Max C. replied to Chiromed0:

Are you serious? I've had back problems that ONLY an activator
adjustment has corrected. I swear by them. My wife had activator
adjustment throughout her entire pregnancy with our now 14 month old.

#### Thanks for this anecdote. MANY people are pleased with Activator
adjustments.

Our baby was born perfectly healthy and has constantly scored very high
on all the various tests they give to infants during routine checkups
(APGAR, or however it's spelled.)

#### Max, I think you may be misinformed about APGAR...

DEFINITION OF APGAR
Apgar: Abbreviation for the Apgar score, a practical method of
evaluating the physical condition of a newborn infant shortly after
delivery. The Apgar score is a number arrived at by scoring the heart
rate, respiratory effort, muscle tone, skin color, and response to a
catheter in the nostril. Each of these objective signs can receive 0,
1, or 2 points.
A perfect Apgar score of 10 means an infant is in the best possible
condition. An infant with an Apgar score of 0-3 needs immediate
resuscitation.
The Apgar score is done routinely 60 seconds after the birth of the
infant and then it is commonly repeated 5 minutes after birth. In the
event of a difficult resuscitation, the Apgar score may be done again
at 10, 15, and 20 minutes.
An Apgar score of 0-3 at 20 minutes of age is predictive of high
morbidity (disease) and mortality (death).
The score is named for the preeminent American anesthesiologist
Virginia Apgar (1909-1974) who invented the scoring method in 1952.
Having assisted at thousands of deliveries, Dr. Apgar wished to focus
attention on the baby. Babies were traditionally dispatched directly to
the nursery, often without much formal scrutiny after delivery. Apgar
wanted the baby to be assessed in an organized meaningful manner by the
delivery room personnel. Dr. Apgar was the first woman to be appointed
a full professor at Columbia University's College of Physicians and
Surgeons.

#### An estimated 4.6% of "healthy" babies suffer unexplained brain
bleeds and later in life Some some "healthy" babies suffer unexplained
"lesser" motor and perceptual difficulties later in life. Some babies
suffer unexplained DEATHS. Australian obstetrician Norman Beischer, MD
once guessed that 10% of stillbirths were just fine right before
delivery. Right before delivery is right before the baby is forced
through a birth canal senselessly closed up to 30%.

I honestly don't see how an activator adjustment could hurt your unborn
child.

#### I agree.

It would seem to me to be far less intrusive into his or her
little world than standard chiropractic adjustments.

#### Yep. But standard chiropractic adjustments have also worked
wonders with pregnant women - or so they reported - to me personally -
while I was still in spinal adjusting practice.

Of course, I don't have any studies to give you. I'm just giving you
my own personal experience.

#### "Quackbuster" Barrett quacks about how children's spines shouldn't
be manipulated ("Neck manipulation of children under age 12 should be
outlawed"^^^) as he remains silent about the GRUESOME spinal
manipulation behavior of MD-obstetricians - the most prolific
manipulators of childrens' spines.

^^^http://www.quackwatch.org/01Quackery...irostroke.html

### As noted above, with birth canals senselessly KEPT closed up to 30%
- MD-obstetricians sometimes pull so hard they rip spinal nerves out of
tiny spinal cords.

### This obvious MD crime is committed in an estimated 1 in 10 births -
and "Quackbuster" Barrett is silent about it.

#### "Quackbuster" Barrett is a fraudulent "quackbuster."

#### Max, I myself want to see studies of what DCs do - but STEP ONE is
stop birth-canal-closed GRUESOME spinal manipulation by MDs (the
effects of which, incidentally, as I indicated, I believe DELICATE
spinal manipulation can help repair. No studies - just anecdotes from
happy parents.)

Best of luck to you both.

Max.

#### Thanks Max. Best of luck to you too.

#### Todd

#### Dr. Gastaldo
#### Hillsboro, Oregon
#### USA
####

wrote:
DOES ACTIVATOR ADJUSTING HARM UNBORN BABIES?

A woman recently emailed me asking about this (see below).

My guess is no - unborn babies cannot be hurt - but I know of no
studies...

I'll ask the Activator folks...

OPEN LETTER archived for global access; see below.

Arlen Fuhr, DC
Co-Founder
Activator Methods International, Ltd.
2950 N. Seventh Street, Suite 200
Phoenix, Arizona 85014
ofc 602-224-0220
fax 602-224-0230
toll free 1-800-598-0224
Via

From the Logan website:

"Activator...The instrument is patented and was approved in 1984 by the
U.S. Food and Drug Administration, for use in adjustive
procedures...The spring-loaded instrument is used with a specific line
of drive and can be set to deliver force ranging from nine to 33 pounds
per square inch."
http://www.logan.edu/pages/chiro_tech_activator.asp

Arlen,

Does Activator adjusting harm unborn babies?

Any studies?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Sincerely,

Todd

Dr. Gastaldo
Hillsboro, Oregon
USA

PS1 Arlen, I've emailed you my concerns regarding pregnancy and birth
before - with no response.

See VA maternity benefit *must* include chiropractic care for newborns
BEFORE birth
http://groups.google.com/group/sci.m...4072869093c920

Perhaps you just didn't see or read my emails - or perhaps I got your
email address wrong. I'll writing you this time via Activator Methods
emails.

I see Logan Chiropractic College teaches Activator Methods.

I will cc the two Logan Chiropractic College Activator Methods
instructors J.C. Carpenter, DC (via ) and Kevin
Bays, DC (via
).

Again, I don't think Activator adjusting harms unborn babies.

Arlen, hopefully you or JC or Kevin can also address the question posed
by the woman who emailed me.

PS2 Here is the email from the woman who contacted me. I will bcc
her...

I reply to her below.