From the "No duh!" files - Has bias pendulum swung against men?

Old March 5th 06, 06:06 AM posted to alt.child-support

Default From the "No duh!" files - Has bias pendulum swung against men?

"teachrmama" wrote in message

"Chris" wrote in message

"teachrmama" wrote in message

"Werebat" wrote in message

Gini wrote:

"Bob Whiteside" wrote

And second, ED advertising is deceptive. Consider a man encouraging

his
partner to go see her doctor to get pills to enhance their sex life.
Wouldn't you think the women's movement would be screaming "It's her
body,
and her decision" and claim the man is only trying to get her to
change
for
what he can get out of it?

==
Good point. I try to do gender reversals with ads to see how they

measure
up but hadn't thought of it for
these ads. You' re right. There would be a loud cry of foul.
==

I agree, and hadn't thought of this before.

Although I really do think that the "reason" for this set-up is the
idea
that men will be less embarrassed about looking into getting the

stuff
if
they think their partners will be warmly encouraging, rather than
demeaning and ridiculing, when they choose to do so.

A better approach would be for the man to have the idea himself and

for
the woman to express her encouragement and acceptance afterwards.

Good point. This is one that I think might have some success with a
write-in campaign to the offending companies, simply because I really
doubt the feminists care one way or another how those ads run, while
the
companies responsible for the ads really do want to cater to men's

wants.

My personal opinion is that they shouldn't be running the commercials

at
all. I think we've gone way around the bend as to what we as a society

find
acceptable to advertise on tv and radio.

I recently witnessed a tv ad showing two men standing at urinals

bragging
about the product. I was so caught off guard that I'm not sure what the
product was. I think it was some sort of phone service.

Eeeewwww!! Ick!!

Then there's the guy with the hot truck who is instructed to bring home a
decorative piece for the bedroom. The wife sees a new motorcycle in the
truckbed and kicks the guy in the groin. The guy shows her the decorative
bedroom piece is in the cab and she thinks he is okay. Why did he have to
get kicked in the nuts to make the ad work?

Old March 5th 06, 12:36 PM posted to alt.child-support

Gini wrote:

[...]

I've seen that commercial.

She doesn't kick the guy in the groin.

At least not the rendition of it I saw here.

Old March 5th 06, 09:58 PM posted to alt.child-support

Gini wrote:

[...]

I saw the guys-at-the-urinal one today. It's about DirectTV. I haven't
seen the other one. Sounds disgusting.

Old March 6th 06, 03:45 AM posted to alt.child-support,alt.feminism

Gini wrote:

[...]

Now imagine the uproar if they showed two women sitting on toilets while
advertising some product.

Old March 6th 06, 04:29 AM posted to alt.child-support,alt.feminism

Gini wrote:

[...]

I really prefer not to imagine that. yuck

Old March 6th 06, 04:51 AM posted to alt.child-support,alt.feminism

Now men are equally as whiny as women. Guys rock.

Old March 8th 06, 01:45 PM posted to alt.child-support

"Chris" wrote in message

"Tiffany" wrote in message

I totally agree Teach! But my issue isn't based on the subject matter,
its
the products. Medical prescriptions need to be handled between the MD and
patient and that is how one should get information, not a commercial or
magazine ad.

I could never figure out why someone would "ask their doctor" about some
drug whose name they can't even pronounce. The ads make a big spill about
how wonderful the drug is without ever mentioning what it is actually for.
That's like advertising some new tool with a fancy name, then instructing
the viewer to go to their local hardware supplier and inquire just what
the
tool is used for.

Pretty damn bizarre, I agree.

Old March 8th 06, 01:52 PM posted to alt.child-support

Gini wrote:

[...]

Its funny, I know I saw that commercial with the motorcycle but sure don't
remember a kick in the groin. I wonder if they show different versions based
on geographic.

I did take notice the one commercial for male enhancement. I believe it is
some herbal supplement but they make it appear it is pharmaceutical.
Anyways... this man is walking around feeling all better about himself
because he thinks he got a bigger penis and everyone can see this too. No
pushy women in that commercial.

But our little kids see these things. They are not dumb...... they know what
its about. What is that going to do to little boys all across the country??
What if they aren't 'above average'? Are they going to be feeling less
superior to other boys? Will this then push them into bad behavior to make
up for their lack of self-esteem?

Old March 8th 06, 01:53 PM posted to alt.child-support

Gini wrote:

[...]

I personally don't want to see anyone sitting on a toilet!