Need Advice: Breastfeeding with 3 older (13+) stepson's

Old September 24th 06, 03:50 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding,misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.kids
bizby40

Default Need Advice: Breastfeeding with 3 older (13+) stepson's

"Rosalie B." wrote in message
Incidentally, I quite agree with "Welches"
that

it doesn't require a big "talk" ahead of time.
That doing so will increase the awkwardness factor instead of
decreasing it. And that after the baby comes, she will find a
routine
that feels right to her. I, myself, did always tend to go back to
the
baby's room to nurse if we had company. It wasn't really a burden
for
me, and it felt less awkward than doing it right there. I imagine
that it might be different though since this is not company, but
people living in the same house. Having to drop everything to go
hide
every time the baby feeds would seem to grow old really fast

Especially if the baby turns out to be one of those snacking, slow
eating babies who takes a half an hour to feed. I never had one of
them fortunately. Mine attacked with fervor for 10 minutes max, and
then they were full to the top and stopped.

Thank you, but I believe that is me that you are quoting.

Bizby

Old September 24th 06, 04:24 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding,misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.kids
Rosalie B.

"bizby40" wrote:

"Rosalie B." wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Im sorry if I confused the attributions. Two or three people said
about the same thing, but the headers on the post were

"Welches" wrote in message
news

"Rosalie B." wrote in message
"Jamie Clark" wrote:

"Rosalie B." wrote in message
"Jamie Clark" wrote:
Rosalie B. wrote:

So I thought that the top person was the latest one to post.
And it was signed Zorra. and I thought you usually signed Bizby

Old September 24th 06, 04:25 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding,misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.kids
bizby40

"Rosalie B." wrote in message
"bizby40" wrote:

"Rosalie B." wrote in message
. ..
[...]

"Welches" wrote in message
news

"Rosalie B." wrote in message
"Jamie Clark" wrote:

"Rosalie B." wrote in message
m...
"Jamie Clark" wrote:
Rosalie B. wrote:

So I thought that the top person was the latest one to post.
And it was signed Zorra. and I thought you usually signed Bizby

I do -- that's a nick from another group, and I get them mixed up
sometimes.

Bizby

Old September 24th 06, 06:43 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding,misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.kids
toto

On 23 Sep 2006 11:09:50 -0700, "cjra" wrote:

I didn't know *how* to BF until I did it, but because I'd been exposed
to it since youth, it was a very natural thing for me to do.

I didn't know how to BF until I did it either. I had never seen
anyone BF, yet it came very naturally to me and I nursed both my
children (ds until he was 13 months and refused and dd until she was
2.5). I did have the advantage of going to LaLeche League once I
started BF and that certainly helped, but my mom did not bf me nor did
any of my relatives bf when I was growing up.

--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits
Old September 24th 06, 04:17 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding,misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.kids
Anne Rogers

Yes watching that helps:

and listening, it's so much easier to play any instrument if you know what
it's supposed to sound like

Anne

Old September 24th 06, 07:25 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding,misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.kids
Welches

"bizby40" wrote in message

"Rosalie B." wrote in message
[...]

Yes, it wasn't me...but it doesn't really matter :-)
Debbie

Old September 25th 06, 02:28 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding,misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.kids
Notchalk

On 2006-09-23 03:38:47 +0800, Rosalie B. said:
I don't think I would say that. Would you see that seeing someone
cook on a regular basis would help increase the chance that one could
eventually cook if you never tried doing it?

Most definitely.

Jo

--
Woman, Wife, Mother, Midwife

Old September 25th 06, 03:50 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding,misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.kids
Cathy Weeks

wrote:

Anyhow, I was hoping that someone out there can offer me some advice
about breastfeeding with older children, specifically boys, around. My
husband isn't entirely supportive of it 'cause he thinks that
breastfeeding is an inconvenience. But I've been reading up and I told
him last night that I want to at least try breastfeeding because I feel
that the benefits highly outweigh the inconveniences. The only thing I
am really worried about is how to talk to the boys about it and/or if I
should consider not breastfeeding for the sake of their comfort because
I am afraid that they might feel weird about it. Of course, those of
you that have teenage boys know how they can be sometimes with sexual
type issues.

I've been reading this thread, and I've got a couple of things to say:

1. Breastfeed. It's the best thing for your baby, and to NOT
breastfeed due to their hypothetical squeemishness is doing both your
baby AND them a disservice. Baby, because it's denying him the best
food in the world for him, and them, because then they don't get to see
how *normal* it is.

2. I wouldn't bother to bring anything up with them. Just do it.
They'll get the picture, and if they've got questions, they'll ask.
And I betcha it will come up in conversation, at which time you can
mention the benefits. Then it will be a natural conversation, not
something forced.

3. Discretion. If this is your first, you might want to go to a quiet
room at first to breastfeed, or use a blanket over the shoulder trick.
If you are anything like me, it'll take some practice before you and
baby get the hang of things, and you'll wind up showing more skin than
you are comfortable with. After that, you can breastfeed without extra
covering, because you'll learn tricks to keep discreet without having
to bother with receiving blankets and the like.

My stepson was 7.5 years old when my daughter was born, and he got to
see me breastfeeding from day one. It helps that his mom is also VERY
pro-breastfeeding. 18 months after my daughter was born, his mom and
stepdad had a baby, and he's gotten to see her breastfeed his other
sister, too. To him, it's quite normal.

Cathy Weeks