tonight on C5

Old August 23rd 06, 11:12 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Brookben

Default tonight on C5

Anne Rogers wrote:

Actually putting them on the floor to explore their surroundings is
easier.

hmm, most dinner times that is what happens to start off with, but for some
reason she finds dinner prep time a time to start getting grouchy and
pulling at your legs, I prefer not to automatically shove her in a carrier,
but it ends up that way 6 times out of 7.

Anne

Your curious little girl wants to know what Mommy is doing! As us
babywearing advocates already know (but maybe someone who is reading
doesn't), carrying our babies around while doing daily activities
builds organizational skills.

Understandably, exploring on the floor is great, but watching Mommy is
often better!

Old August 24th 06, 12:21 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Sue

"Mary Ann" wrote in message
It's not an exact thing I think.
Yes, a baby who likes to be held but isn't will soon learn to entertain
themselves, but many parents choose not to go through that learning
phase and just hold the baby until they are happy to be left.
Some babies are happy to be left (like yours it seems) and so don't
*need* to be held perhaps.
AP to you would be allowing your "happy to explore" baby to do so and
AP to me was holding my son because he was unhappy otherwise.

Oh don't get me wrong, I certainly used the sling and held them lots during
the day, especially when all three went through the hold me phase. I just
didn't use the sling for constant babywearing and the girls did like to be
on the floor or whatever playing around. During the witching hour (dinner
time) they also were very amused at being in the walker and looking at
themselves in the black glass oven door. They could see themselves and were
amused at the other baby, lol. I put slings in the same category as
everything else baby related, everything in moderation and there are
definite times when all the baby equipment comes in handy.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old August 25th 06, 02:11 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Chookie

In article .com,
"Brookben" wrote:

Your curious little girl wants to know what Mommy is doing! As us
babywearing advocates already know (but maybe someone who is reading
doesn't), carrying our babies around while doing daily activities
builds organizational skills.

I really enjoyed using my Hug-a-Bub sling, but once DS2 hit 10kg (at about
8mo) the building of his organisational skills had to give way to the
incipient destruction of my knee joints! I'm not a very big person and found
that a few hours of shopping and slinging led to sleeplessness from knee pain.

Understandably, exploring on the floor is great, but watching Mommy is
often better!

I can't think of a safe way to sling a baby when I'm cooking. Particularly a
grabby baby!

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue
Old August 25th 06, 03:47 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Brookben

I really enjoyed using my Hug-a-Bub sling, but once DS2 hit 10kg (at about
8mo) the building of his organisational skills had to give way to the
incipient destruction of my knee joints! I'm not a very big person and found
that a few hours of shopping and slinging led to sleeplessness from knee pain.

I started having knee issues (and shoulder, too) with my OTSBH sling.
I love that sling, but my 23 lb, 8 mo was getting too heavy to be
supported so much on one shoulder - the opposite knee really took a
beating. But, then I got an Ergo - and, I can see a dramatic
improvement. I still use the OTSBH sling for nursing to sleep, but the
Ergo works great out and about.

I can't think of a safe way to sling a baby when I'm cooking. Particularly a
grabby baby!

Wearing my baby on the back is a good compromise. But, I'd be hesitant
still to wear her I were cooking something like hot oil. With
preparing salads, rice dishes, etc, I don't see a safety issue with her
on the back.